SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feds raid Polymer80
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feds raid Polymer80 Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
wonder if a major gun manufacturer made a complaint to the ATF that a company was selling guns without SN in a kit. Nothing like using Government to snuff out your competition....

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about they were used in crimes and raised concerns?

quote:
In September, two Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies were shot while sitting in their patrol vehicle by a man using a handgun built from Polymer80 parts

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they stepped on their dicks with the BBS kit. And the Feds have confiscated 10K Polymer80s? The kits or actual guns? That sounds like BS.
And who pays $590 bucks for the kit when a real Glock can be had for the same (or even less) money?
Are people that driven to have a non-serialized gun?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I think they stepped on their dicks with the BBS kit. And the Feds have confiscated 10K Polymer80s? The kits or actual guns? That sounds like BS.
And who pays $590 bucks for the kit when a real Glock can be had for the same (or even less) money?

1) People who don't want the government in their business

2) People who can't legally own firearms.

Your guess as to the percentages of people in each is just as good as mine.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

That seems obvious.

And the 80% frames by themselves are available for far less than $590. I can see how the “kit” would be popular because it eliminates the need to find the other required parts separately.

https://www.brownells.com/hand...6-109010-207705.aspx

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

The government now probably has the sales records of all the people who bought potentially "Illegal" guns.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13402 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F_L:
The ATF is also shutting down a lot of "Solvent Trap" companies.

Been watching that happen as well.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8855 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

The government now probably has the sales records of all the people who bought potentially "Illegal" guns.

Strike that probably. There are going to be some visits from the ATF/FBI coming real soon to some people who thought they were home free.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Don't like this for more than just the obvious reason. Once they've killed this boogieman, what will be their next made up threat to public safety that they'll have to protect us from? Frown

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some people also like to tinker and start projects. Same reason I did a %80 steel 1911 from 1911 Builders. I could have bought x2 1911s for what I put into it. God knows how many hours I spent working on it. But the project was hella fun and know I know how to work on a 1911.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8855 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

No doubt, and it's likely that someone is buying up several of these kits, assembling them and selling them to the gangs in the hood aka the middle man.

It makes for an underground market sold through a middleman for more than the $590 MSRP.

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
From The TFB article:

quote:

No Polymer80 employees were arrested and no charges have been filed.

If this was illegal, by simply buying a kit off the P80 website, the ATF would likely have enough probable cause to arrest people. The fact that they haven't makes me think this is nothing but harassment or a fishing expedition. It's not like these kits haven't been available for years now.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

No doubt, and it's likely that someone is buying up several of these kits, assembling them and selling them to the gangs in the hood aka the middle man.

Not just the gangs in the hood—-

How about the Antifa crowd?

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised ATF hasn't required serial numbers on slides, grips, and barrels like the left much loved European guns do. I mean the ATF just willed bumpstocks away with a wave of their pen. Why not just require it with another edict from the ATF's ivory tower?

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
If every ATF agent were to fall dick first into a woodchipper tomorrow, I'd have to take the day off to celebrate. Two days off if the bureaucrats that run the place were to be eaten alive by badgers.

I gotta say, “You sir, have a way with words.”
Thanks for providing a Friday morning chuckle.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Approximately 10,000 ghost guns were recovered by law enforcement in 2019, according to the warrant application.

I'm willing to bet every single firearm they recovered with a partially scratched off serial number fits their definition of a "ghost gun". So this statistic was conflated to make it look like the 80% manufacturers such as Polymer80 are a huge supplier of illegal guns used in crime.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
From The TFB article:

quote:

No Polymer80 employees were arrested and no charges have been filed.

If this was illegal, by simply buying a kit off the P80 website, the ATF would likely have enough probable cause to arrest people. The fact that they haven't makes me think this is nothing but harassment or a fishing expedition. It's not like these kits haven't been available for years now.

Just because you have PC, doesn't mean you charge right away. Most of my cases get closed by indictment. Very nearly ALL Fed cases go through indictment.

I don't know if they will go after purchasers, but they can (and likely will) drop the proverbial hammer on the company. Ask Sabre Defense how that turns out (which was a shame. I still have one of their rifles and it is excellent).

Sometimes they don't really notice things until it gets too obvious. This is an example of why I beg people to quit asking for ATF clarification on things like Shockwaves and arm braces...

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:

Some people also like to tinker and start projects. Same reason I did a %80 steel 1911 from 1911 Builders. I could have bought x2 1911s for what I put into it. God knows how many hours I spent working on it. But the project was hella fun and know I know how to work on a 1911.

that's me also. born to D.I.Y. and the more I can D.I.Y., the happier I am.

I also don't need to be a reloader, but I am, because I was born the D.I.Y.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I agree with Radioman, and will take it further-every American should build one of these because Fuck the nanny state.

quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
If every ATF agent were to fall dick first into a woodchipper tomorrow, I'd have to take the day off to celebrate. Two days off if the bureaucrats that run the place were to be eaten alive by badgers.

I agree and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one years ago as a fun project. It wasn't and isn't now something about avoiding anything as I'm quite legal to own a gun. A real glock is probably cheaper and better in all honesty but like Larry Potterfield says, I did it myself.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post