SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I rode in a 600+ hp BMW 340i today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I rode in a 600+ hp BMW 340i today Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
My coworker has a 2017 340i with a gutted exhaust and single big turbo and I have to say the car is QUITE a bit faster than I was expecting! I have another friend in Chesapeake Virginia who has a similar vintage BMW M3 manual and this 340i feels like it could hang with and potentially beat my friend's M3 in a race.

The automatic in the 340i was definitely a different experience than my other friends manual M3 but not necessarily in a bad way, it got up to almost 100 mph much faster and a lot smoother than I was expecting.

Days like today make me wish my BMW motorcycle was running so it could join my two coworkers BMWs in the parking lot at work.

My other friend’s M3. With the manual it might not accelerate quite as consistently or as quickly as an automatic but it is a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'll take that E30 any day over the modern stuff. And I drive a 2018 530i now. My E30 got 230k miles on the first clutch. I loved that car.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
My coworker daily drives a fake M3, but it has 650whp, so it's faster than the real thing. It's an older 3 series of some sort, I've gone to lunch with him but never gone to launch with him. Feels from the passenger seat pretty normal except the exhaust. I'd love to see what it can do.

Occasionally he drives his 1,200hp firebird in complete with parachute.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a cool ride. What else did he do to add the 300hp?

Posts: 17890 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
dunno about 300, but plenty of tunes out there to get at least 100 more hp with simple bolt ons.

bmw's b58 engines are always under rated by them and can take a lot more.

bm3, mhd are the main ones but plenty more.

I usually use bm3 once my warranty expires. lol

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Sounds like a cool ride. What else did he do to add the 300hp?

Per my friends own words his mod list is: ultra flow single turbo, stage 3 lpfp, dorch ds2 hpfp, xdi 75% injectors, cts charge pipe, 3.5 in straight pipe to a catless downpipe, high ignition coil packs, flexfuel kit and cts cai.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I have a 2019 740i it flies, and it's like sitting in your living room.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2022 X3 M40i (like a baby X3M). It's got FAR more power than I have yet been comfortable extracting. It's been fun for a while, but I'm about to "grow up" and trade it in on something boring (two somethings boring) as I will be needing a car for my kiddo who is headed off to school. I will miss the burble of the B58 motor. What Jack from Savage Geese calls "God's motor". Big Grin

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I'm a born-again BMW fanatic. I've always respected the marque, you see a lot of them in amateur racing.

The kicker was when I got a '20 M340ix sedan and put about 30k miles on it in the last couple years. Mine is nowhere near 600hp, but it is a great car. Fast, flexible, not for novices, even with AWD. It's been reliable and durable too. I have had a lot of cars and this one is the best.

I will put a downpipe on it to add to it's character but that's it for planned mods. I will run it as-is, as long as I possibly can.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Nice rides! Stick, we have some of the same hobbies (I don't have the motorcycle but though). I drive pretty moderately most of the time, but I checked off a bucket list item on a trip to Germany in 2018. Rented a BMW M3 from Sixt Car Rental and headed out of Munich on the Autobahn. Spent a couple of hours over 100mph. I kept a look out for a really wide open stretch, came over a hill and could see 3 miles of open road in front of me and let 'er rip at 158mph. I think stock this was twin turbo and 400hp. Fastest I have ever burned thru a tank of gas. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ibanda,

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive an antique.

1988 BMW635csi. Beautiful, low mileage (70k) single cam with a stick. Right now it is a nice cruising car. Just checking details to begin trusting reliability. Will get a pic posted when I finally figure that out.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've done a lot of driving in Germany. It can be a lot of fun, but the traffic can be soul crushing, and there are ever fewer areas where you can really hammer it. I was on my way to a dealer in Leipzig to rent a 996 long ago and the traffic was so bad, I had to turn my rental car off and just sit on the highway. I decided I was not going to pay pay 300 Euros to do that in a Porsche. Around the same time, however, I went to visit Ruf in Pfaffenhausen. As Alois had to run out and could not chat with me, his lovely wife told one of their guys to take me out for a joy ride in an RGT. We got up to 330 km/hr and it was on a back country road, not a hwy. Man, it was insane. I stick to my bike now when I feel the need for speed.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post