SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have a personal iPhone 12. Work is giving me a new 11. Use same Apple ID?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a personal iPhone 12. Work is giving me a new 11. Use same Apple ID? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I figured I could just use my Apple ID in both phones. Is this possible? Anyone here do this?

I figured I pretty much set up the work iPhone like my personal so I have a spare but only get work email on the 11.

Any insight would be appreciated as always.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is possible.

Posts: 2965 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have the same apple id on 2 i-phones.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Yes you can. No you should not. Keep your work separate from personal.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I don't know what line of work you're in, but I would advise to keep work phone and personal phone completely separate and keep your Apple ID (and any other personal accounts) off of the work phone.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4201 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always keep your personal and work data separate. If there is ever a reason that others will need to delve into your work life, you'll be glad to keep the personal data separate.

I'd even say make sure that all work items go through the work phone. Don't let many people contact you on your personal phone - the only people who should have the personal number are those who might contact you to check on you if the work phone isn't working properly.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have two iPhones, personal and work. I created a separate Apple ID for the work phone.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not. Your personal AppleID on your work phone leaves your personal data accessible to your employer. Keep work on your work phone and use it only for work. Keep your personal stuff on your personal phone and don't use it for work.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The decision is yours. I do not keep iCloud Drive on my iPhone but use iCloud for backup and sync of a few items. The same iCloud is on two laptops. Work email comes into Gmail on the phone and does not come into Mail on the laptop; I'll view work email on gmail.com via Safari on the laptop.

I guess the idea is to keep the personal phone number?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:

I agree with Kev and FlyingScot...keep your phones completely separate. Given my line of work and our litigious society is always best to not cross the two communication lines in any fashion.

Carrying two Iphones as I do is somewhat of a bother but in the long run its a cleaner break and doesn't open up your personal information to your company as well as a less than scrupulous attorney. Just my $0.02.

Posts: 587 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a personal phone and a work phone each have their separate Apple acct.

I know for certain the MDM system corporate uses can see every aspect of the work phone. What apps are installed, what web sites have been visited, who to and what every text message says.. etc etc etc.

I keep work work. They don’t need to see my personal business

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I asked. I don't know why I didn't think of making a new ID. That is what I'll do, though. I'll make a new separate ID for the work phone. Good ideas all! Thank you!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I figured I could just use my Apple ID in both phones. Is this possible?

Possible? Yes. Advisable? Absolutely not.

When you conflate personal and business records you potentially create a whole raft of problems for both the business and your personal affairs.

Your employer, if they knew what they were about, would prohibit this explicitly in written policy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Don’t do it.

I am issued a work iPhone as well and have been told if it is compromised it will be confiscated and wiped and I won’t have any say in that.

Always separate work and personal.

Posts: 33837 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I work in municipal government and they provide me work cell phone. I keep everything separate and I won't allow any city business on my personal phone whatsoever. If I were to do so my personal phone and all its data would be subject to freedom of information request just like my city phone.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, you can, but I wouldn’t. Work has authority to audit anything on their phone

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
I work in municipal government ... my personal phone and all its data would be subject to freedom of information request just like my city phone.

In the case of a non-governmental entity it would be subject to discovery due to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:

Absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never use my work phone or computer for any personal business of any kind.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I must use an apple ID associated with my work email for the work iPhone. I wouldn't want the data commingled anyway.

Posts: 4022 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post