SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guess who won’t be a FFDO anymore
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guess who won’t be a FFDO anymore Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
Whoever did this!

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3039871002

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess who won’t be a FFDO anymore

Guess who won't know what that means? Most everyone!

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

quote:
Guess who won’t be a FFDO anymore
Guess who won't know what that means? Most everyone!
It's explained in the linked article, but I definitely agree with you: we should not have to click on a link and wait for it to download (while ten ads are trying to load and are blocked by Ad Blocker Plus), in order to find out what it means.

V-Tail's Rule: All acronyms should be expanded the first time that they are used in any thread. Exceptions can be granted for really common ones.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Article didn’t say if the pistol was in its lock box or not. I’m sure it was. Odd the pilot would forget something like that. They may well indeed lose their FFDO privileges for awhile or permanently.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
At least he didn't shoot a hole in the side of the plane.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
List of Acronyms
FFDO - Federal Flight Deck Officer

You're welcome.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Skeptic
Picture of Mike the Texan
posted Hide Post
PPP: Pistol Packin' Pilot would have been a much better term.

Maybe Delta will make the pilot attach a piece of 550 cord to the weapon and himself so it will never again be out of reach.

Posts: 220 | Location: Near a white sand beach. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put the handgun being secured in the shut down checklist

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:

Yeah, that has happened before, thanks to the ridiculous "safety procedures" for FFDOs.

They bought them these goofy holsters with holes cut in the trigger area. The pilots are required to secure their firearms during certain portions of the flight by taking the holster off their belt, inserting a padlock through the hole in the holster and into the trigger guard, and then stowing the locked holster.

The issue is that it's possible for the padlock to be inserted in front of the trigger, and the gun could then discharge if one pushed on the rear of the handgun, causing the padlock to depress the trigger.

This very thing happened at least once that I know of during a flight, with the bullet punching a hole in the side of the plane. It may have happened more than once.

Requiring pilots to stick solid objects inside the trigger guards of their pistols, multiple times per day... Brilliant. Roll Eyes

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
List of Acronyms

You're welcome.
Yup, it was there, in the linked article, once you click on the link, wait for the article (and all the ads*) to load, and scroll down toward the bottom.

My point is, an acronym should be expanded (defined) the first time it is used.

I did a fair amount of technical and educational writing, eons ago, at Bell Labs. The rule was, the first time an acronym appears, it is explained either inline in parentheses, or in a footnote on the same page.

I'm not trying to pick an argument with you, just shouting from my soapbox. Smile
* Using an ad blocker, so I don't actually see the ads, but the ad blocker has a little badge that shows how many ads it has trapped. It seems that the higher the count, the longer it takes the page to load.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:

Yeah, that has happened before, thanks to the ridiculous "safety procedures" for FFDOs.

They bought them these goofy holsters with holes cut in the trigger area. The pilots are required to secure their firearms during certain portions of the flight by taking the holster off their belt, inserting a padlock through the hole in the holster and into the trigger guard, and then stowing the locked holster.

The issue is that it's possible for the padlock to be inserted in front of the trigger, and the gun could then discharge if one pushed on the rear of the handgun, causing the padlock to depress the trigger.

This very thing happened at least once that I know of during a flight, with the bullet punching a hole in the side of the plane. It may have happened more than once.

Requiring pilots to stick solid objects inside the trigger guards of their pistols, multiple times per day... Brilliant. Roll Eyes

Do you know this for a fact? Seems stupid even by fed standards!! But then, never underestimate a federal bureaucrat!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know it for a fact. There are numerous news reports out there regarding for the first known incident from 2008 involving US Airways pilot James Langenhahn, and a DHS OIG report was published criticizing the holster and associated procedures.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Yes, I know it for a fact. There are numerous news reports out there regarding for the first known incident from 2008 involving US Airways pilot James Langenhahn, and a DHS OIG report was published about the flaws with the holster and procedures.

Holy fuck me dead. I didn't think even .gov was that stupid.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
List of Acronyms

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what the point of any kind of locking device such as the one seen above. The gun will NEVER fire on it's own from inside the holster. If you can trust the FFDO to carry on a fully loaded jet of a couple hundred people, why insist on a lock?

Here's a novel idea- lets allow the FFDO to carry his pistol in a holster, unmolested. From his car/cab/locker/whatever/. Require him to have said holstered pistol concealed completely at all times until he is on the plane and secure in the cabin.

I fly armed a couple of times a year. My pistol is never locked, and is required to be under direct physical control- in other words, directly attached to my body. If the FFDO can be trusted to have the gun on the plane, how should he be any different?

More TSA stupidity.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
What is an FFDO? Is that an article or a giant advertisement? I'm so confused

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...
V-Tail's Rule: AASBETFTTTAUIATECBGFRCO

FIFY Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Holy fuck me dead. I didn't think even .gov was that stupid.
Oh, that's just the tip of the ice-burg... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:...
V-Tail's Rule: AASBETFTTTAUIATECBGFRCO
FIFY Big Grin
OK, thanks for the help. Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
CDNN was selling that holster for less than 20 bucks.
Pass.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post