SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trump demands ESPN apologize for anchor's tweets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trump demands ESPN apologize for anchor's tweets Login/Join 
posted
President Donald Trump is calling on ESPN to apologize days after one of the sports network's anchors called him a "white supremacist" and "bigot."

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertai...hors-tweets-49869957

And ESPN comes through in their usual manner

"ESPN attempted to replace her on the 6 p.m. broadcast of SportsCenter with a different African-American co-host, according to a report from ThinkProgress.org.

Hill’s co-host Michael Smith “refused” to go on the air without Hill and two other black hosts at ESPN, Michael Eaves and Elle Duncan, declined to replace her when asked by the network.

With no one to take Hill’s place, and Smith threatening to not go on camera, ESPN opted to let them both co-host the show as usual."

https://thinkprogress.org/jeme...m&utm_source=twitter

Posts: 778 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Good

We've got to give these sons o' bitches ten kinds of hell.

Posts: 107762 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
The hypocrisy is absolutely amazing.

F*ck ESPN! Mad

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ESPN could have replaced Hill with Robert Lee.

Oh wait, Lee, an Asian, was removed from play by play action due to someone confusing his name with Robert E. Lee.

Does anyone at ESPN Sports know what the hell is going on?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I watch ESPN for sports, not political and social commentary. Lately I find myself not watching ESPN at all.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11785 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I do not think Smith is any better than that woman is.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
President Donald Trump is calling on ESPN to apologize days after one of the sports network's anchors called him a "white supremacist" and "bigot."

We supported and elected him for not taking any crap and fighting back. Good. Smile

Posts: 28021 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone at ESPN Sports know what the hell is going on?

In a word, NO!

Just one more collection of "journalism" students who never learned that the jobs they were going into were about news, not personal opinion or politically correct bull shit.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
ESPN needs to realize that we can go on living our lives without them. Some sports fans need to realize that a world without sports is fine.

Some people are too into shit that doesn't have much to do with their existence. Worst are the ones who refer to their favorite team as "us" and "we" as if they're on the field/court/payroll.

Sorry if I live in the same reality that most of us do.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
ESPN has picked sides.
Anyone watching ESPN after this has no scruples.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39772 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
The 100+ ESPN staff that were laid off a couple of months ago may have received a blessing. Those talking heads at ESPN that remain must all be thinking about getting their resumes updated. I've read a number of articles about how their business model is destined to fail based on the contracts they've signed over the past few years with major sports leagues (NFL, College Football ...), as the era of unbundling of "cable packages" is hitting them earlier and harder than they expected.

Sadly, there are games (College Football ...) that I still want to watch, and they are the only source for many of them. But, the ESPN shows that are nothing more than talking heads trying to integrate their personal liberal agenda into sports, are no longer on my viewing list.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
you can get the box scores almost anywhere. nobody needs their stupid commentary.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
ESPN needs to realize that we can go on living our lives without them. Some sports fans need to realize that a world without sports is fine.

You would think so.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
you can get the box scores almost anywhere. nobody needs their stupid commentary.

Agreed. It's just hard to give up viewing 'live' games for box scores.

I respect those who want to give up ESPN all together. But, just as many of us continue to buy products from liberal companies like Apple, Target, Intel, Microsoft, Amazon ..., nearly all of us at some point, either consciously or unconsciously, separate the corporation's products from their liberal values.

And if you aren't a patron of ANY liberal leaning company, kudos to you. I certainly respect that too.

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
ESPN has picked sides.
Anyone watching ESPN after this has no scruples.

I agree.

"But, but, I'll miss my game!"

Yep - that's the "sacrifice" you'll have to make if you want the media, including ABC's affiliate, ESPN, to stop taking sides. Not much of a sacrifice if you ask me.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10717 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
ESPN Promotes Boss Who Hates Donald Trump To Number Two In Company
Posted on June 16, 2017 by Clay Travis

This morning ESPN announced that Connor Schell, newly promoted, would be the new second most powerful man in the company behind head boss John Skipper. Within a few minutes of that announcement conservative ESPN employees were sending me messages asking me to check out Connor Schell’s Tweets from back during the election.

And I know this is going to completely shock you guys, but it turns out that Connor Schell is a huge left winger who expressed public disgust on his Twitter account over the election of Donald Trump and endorsed the idea that Trump oppresses minorities, women, and gays.

MSESPN gonna MSESPN, y’all.

Indeed, Schell spent all election day retweeting and commenting on left wing candidates and endorsing left wing talking points. This would, of course, seem to be a clear violation of ESPN’s own stated policy on politics, which requests that talent connect their Tweets to sports if possible.

How can conservative ESPN talent be comfortable espousing their political beliefs if Disney CEO Bob Iger is considering running for President as a Democrat and using ESPN as his public platform, the head of ESPN John Skipper is an avowed far left winger, and the new number two guy at the company has been aggressively Tweeting about left wing politics for months and hates Donald Trump? Do you really trust this guy to stick to sports when he’s being rewarded for not sticking to sports at Disney?

Here’s Schell on election day when he was optimistic Hillary was going to win. (I screenshotted these after being tipped off by multiple conservative ESPN employees. That way if they disappear when ESPN PR runs screaming down the hallway ten seconds after this post is published, they’ll exist forever.)

I particularly love the comparison of Trump to the Buffalo Bills team that gave up a big lead to the Houston Oilers. Except, you know, Trump won. FYI, Jason Kander was the Missouri Democratic candidate for Senate running against the Republican. FYI, he lost too.

But as the night turns more troubling, Connor Schell gets more distraught, eventually retweeting the vice president’s wife lamenting the election of Donald Trump and saying that Trump’s supporters “openly voted for the oppression of LGBT’s, minorities’ and women’s rights.”

In the days ahead Schell went on to blame dumb people for the election of Donald Trump and retweeted a suggestion that the President should be taunted over losing the popular vote.

Of course, Schell hasn’t stopped with the political Tweets, he recently encouraged people to compare the crowds at Trump’s election with the women’s march.

Ever wonder why ESPN has given so much attention to Greg Popovich’s opinion of Donald Trump? Why do we care, he’s just a coach? Think it might have something to do with having a top executive who hates Trump? Here’s Schell retweeting Popovich ripping Trump.

And, just for good measure, ESPN’s new number two man also wants to make sure and encourage you guys to get involved in politics.

On the very day that Donald Trump gets elected.

Guess who liked this Tweet? His own on-air employee, Rachel Nichols. Libs gonna lib.

But why should Schell get involved in politics when he can just stay at ESPN and get promoted to second most powerful at the company for being a left winger and then be able to enforce his left wing political views on the nation and all his subordinates who are afraid to disagree for fear they might get fired?

Look Connor Schell may be a very good and talented guy, but the truth of the matter is this — he’s a left wing political zealot who was comfortable enough at ESPN that he was okay with publicly violating the rules he’s helped promulgate for employees and their own political views.

And he gets promoted for it.

Yet despite all the clear evidence that ESPN has gone left wing, reveled in alienating conservative viewers, and consistently rewarded those with left wing political views, they keep making decisions like this. How can you possibly trust ESPN to make fair editorial decisions when the executives in charge of the product hate Donald Trump and his supporters?

So for all of you who voted for Donald Trump and watch ESPN, just know the new guy second in command at ESPN thinks you voted for Trump because you wanted to oppress gays, minorities and women.

And that you’re deplorable.

MSESPN gonna MSESPN, y’all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
I watch ESPN for sports, not political and social commentary. Lately I find myself not watching ESPN at all.

Same here. Dear Sports Caster, i dont give a flying fuck about your political views. Talk sports or STFU.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post