SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Your headlamp of choice?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your headlamp of choice? Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Looking for a good headlight with a bright red light option

I have a Gearlight S500 but the red option isn't sufficiently bright.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I find my o.e.m. headlights pretty much perfect. On my "04" Buick Le Saber.

Pretty sure he's meaning the kind you strap to your head, not the ones in your car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've used Black Diamond headlamps for years. Always with a red light option to retain night vision.

I have two Black Diamond but both are older. Not sure what is in the current lineup but if I needed a new one I would look at their lineup first.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Petzl

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Fenix #HL60R. Two bright led lamps for red. Has worked great on the sailboat, I can read the chart with it on.
It is heavy, but robust. I also use it for wrenching on vehicles (white light mode).
Takes a rechargeable 18650.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a Nightstick brand, powered by 3 AAAs. I don't know the model number, but it looks like the current NSP4610B on Amazon. It has three white light modes, a red and a green. Seems bright to me, and has been trouble free, but IMHO eats AAA batteries. Wish it used 3 AAs like some of the newer headlights.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I use a Streamlight sidewinder in the field and even sometimes on the car. Superbright white with Red/Blue/IR options:

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Knog products: https://www.knog.com/category/products/headlamps/

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Diamond Storm - Awesome white spot/flood (infinitely variable output) - 1 tap to max brightness.

Red or blue LEDs - flood only, but quite bright at max. Again infinitely variable and one tap to max output.

Even better - it uses AAA batteries so I can simply swap out batteries if they go dead out on the water or out in the woods.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Anything by Surefire. They come with a clip-over red lens.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Anything by Surefire. They come with a clip-over red lens.

For the money they want, they should come with someone to clip the red lens on.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I find my o.e.m. headlights pretty much perfect. On my "04" Buick Le Saber.

I thought they were Le Sabre's Razz

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
For the money they want, they should come with someone to clip the red lens on.
I'm never without my assistant.

Pricy, yes. Especially now. Mine were bought in 2012 and 2013. They do last forever and are deductible for some.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
I started using Princton Tec in the military based on several recommendations. They're a great light with a good warranty and CS. I like the Remix family. The most recent versions are 300 lumens on bright white, with a very good usable red light (first on) brightness. The PRO version uses a 123 battery. The non-PRO version uses AAAs.

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have been using Princeton Tec for a lot of years now. Current ones I am using are the Vizz. First click is red, second click is high output white, hold the button and it dims. Run on AAA and is "waterproof", the battery compartment is secured with a thumb screw and gasket. Very pleased so far!

Posts: 679 | Location: MA | Registered: June 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
Black Diamond or Petzl have been good for me and I use the red light almost 75% of the time I'd estimate.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
For walking the dogs I like my Black Diamond Cosmo
tap for spot is very nice.

For working around the house I like the Princeton Tec Apex

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Black Diamond Storm.

It's gasket sealed for better water resistance, and runs on 4 AAA so they can get it a little brighter than the 3 cell versions.

Resist the urge to buy last year's model on closeout. Some people were having overheating issues with last year's model. Seems the issue is now resolved and the light has a higher lumen count this year as well.

I appreciate having both flood and spot LEDs on a headlamp. Some of the single cell lithium headlamps like the Olight H1 or Fenix HL60 only have a single LED, which makes it less versatile. In camp or working up close inside a car engine bay, in prefer flood lighting but when hiking or walking in the dark, spot is preferred.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Petzl Tikka and its many, MANY varieties have been the gold standard for headlamps for nearly 2-decades now. They partnered with US SOF units to develop the military version which is widely used now, and have since spun-off many varieties of its iconic design.

Black Diamond Spot has been a very close second and a nice alternative for shops and consumers looking for some variation.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at what professional mountaineers and climbers use - Petzl, Black Diamond and Tikka.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post