SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today is San Jacinto Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today is San Jacinto Day Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
188 years ago today was the decisive battle for Texas' independence. 910 Texas soldiers came upon 1360 Mexican soldiers in what is today the San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site (located in eastern Houston). In 18 minutes, the Texans won the battle with 63% of the Mexican soldier suffering casualties (650 KIA, 208 wounded) while Texas' troops only suffering 4.5% casualties (11 KIA, 30 wounded). Texas was independent within 3 weeks of this important battle.

Texas' forces were lead by General Sam Houston and the city of Houston was named after him.

In honor of the triumph, the Texans built the San Jacinto monument 13 feet taller than the Washington Monument.

"Remember the Alamo!"

"Remember Goliad!"

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
God Bless Texas

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great day!

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A truly great day!!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great day indeed. Plus Aggie Muster is celebrated on San Jacinto Day.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I recall having lunch at a restaurant, I believe it was called The Monument Inn, when visiting a boiler shop in LaPorte, TX.

Had a great view of the monument.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
15 years ago, the Monument Inn was near one of my projects so I got to eat there every week or two. My friends in that part of Houston say it's still delicious.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I always think of Jim Allen when someone posts this.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Remember the Alamo!

Remember Goliad!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Mexico allowing unchecked immigration of Americans into Texas was the start of Mexico’s losing Texas.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mexico called ,
Something about repairations.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Remember the Alamo!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post