SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas explosion in Maryland
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas explosion in Maryland Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
This isn't too far from me. Been in this building a few times and driving past it to a restaurant I've been to many times. Good thing this was on a Sunday morning so not a lot of people around. Police and fire were able to evacuate the area just before the explosion.

The other side has a coffee shop, restaurant, and workout place.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/maryland-gas-explosion

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16404 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
In would say that building suffered significant damage but it wasn't "leveled" as noted in the video. Roll Eyes

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37988 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
This isn't too far from me. Been in this building a few times and driving past it to a restaurant I've been to many times. Good thing this was on a Sunday morning so not a lot of people around. Police and fire were able to evacuate the area just before the explosion.

And?

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I’m glad I didn’t stop for something to eat or coffee after my workout?

Are you the SF editor now?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
if a doctor's office, could have easily been an oxygen explosion (which, technically, is still a gas explosion).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Technically, oxygen doesn't explode, but it can cause other things to do so. An overpressured tank could explode, I guess, but such occurrences are very rare.

The photos I've seen look like some I've seen of natural gas explosions (methane)--lots of bright flame.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The gas leak was actually called in by a Social Security Employee working overtime on Sunday morning. (We usually start at 7:00 am when we work on weekends. I usually only worked on Saturdays, but I spent more than a few Sundays at work.) The SSA office is just out of view of the picture. Great job by the SSA employee who may have saved many lives. Here is the link to the article from ABC news. It's in the 4th paragraph: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u...hTgSQ7CaBEWdMvcU6f4A

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of the rats in Baltimore probably chewed through a gas line looking for food. Big Grin The coffee shop and restaurant were closed and the workers didn't leave any food laying out for them!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
if a doctor's office, could have easily been an oxygen explosion (which, technically, is still a gas explosion).

It was a natural gas explosion. In the video, you can see flames still burning in the parking lot. They let the natural gas burn after the gas lines were turned off. Figured it was better burning then collecting somewhere and exploding again.

Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Really? That's your comment?

Since you've chimed in on behalf of the OP, answer my question. I'll simplify: what's the point of the post? Honestly didn't think "And?" could get any simpler.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Really? That's your comment?

Since you've chimed in on behalf of the OP, answer my question. I'll simplify: what's the point of the post? Honestly didn't think "And?" could get any simpler.

Sorry, your Lordship, but perhaps you could explain to us what threads are acceptable, and which are not? So that we might not embarrass ourselves, and incur your wrath, like this in the future, posting something your Lordship does not deem worthy.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17004 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
That went to shit quickly.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
And now the awkward silence as we await the inevitable.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE] I'll simplify: what's the point of the post? Honestly didn't think "And?" could get any simpler.

Simple minded certainly & a hypocrite. I, for one, am glad this event was posted as I missed it on the local news.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

And?
...And...

My suggestion woud be to see your physician. Perhaps a physical is in order, a thorough physical, including an MRI.

"This event which occurred is down the street from where I live and I have visited there before." Or "I drive past it every day." Or "Hey, I know that guy!" Stuff like that. This is how we relate to our big world. There's nothing unusual at all about such statements; quite the opposite, actually. It's utterly innocuous, completely harmless and sometimes helpful, since the person relating this may be able to answer questions others in the forum may have.

Therefore, if this common, harmless and completely human behavior has suddenly become puzzling to you, you may be experiencing organic changes in your brain. Schedule an appointment, get checked out, and mind your manners in this forum, please.

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
And...I apologize to OP and all.

My intent was not to control content. Just begging the question. I don't think I need an MRI, but maybe...I failed to recognize the relativism of the post.

I'm in the industry and am very familiar with events leading to gas infrastructure failures and outcomes. I've seen several threads here in the Lounge over the years and regularly perceive hyperbole and hyperventilation in some of the commentary. And...I just did the same thing reading this post...I saw another thread about a gas explosion; impulse response.

My query was insensitive. Minding my manners.