SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Antique Clock Yard Sale Find
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antique Clock Yard Sale Find Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I picked up this old English Smiths pendulum escapement mantle clock for $2.00 at a yard sale today.

The glass is missing and the oil is gummed up in it, so it didn't work.

It's dated May 1946 on the movement and it has Westminster chimes.

I removed the movement, soaked it in naptha and re oiled it.

She runs right as rain now!

I have ordered a front glass so she will be perfect on my fireplace mantle.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34128 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Westminster chimes, eh? I see a "silent" switch for sleep time.

Nice find.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a great find.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Most impressive, glad you knew what it was.

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find. Even better you knew how to save it.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Is this a good time for a grease vs oil thread? Wink

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4580 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Impressive! You removed the movement, supported it, and brushed naphtha on it, letting it drip through?

I've thought of trying to bring one back to life spraying brake cleaner into it, then compressed air, then oiling it. Maybe brake cleaner is too strong?

A larger wall clock, late 1800s. Getting the movement out with minimal tools - where I visit across the country - plus a work space is the issue. The hands have to come off. It is a job for a shop and bench, not a kitchen table ... well, maybe my table here.

When I told the lady $100 to try to get it running, with no guarantee, she jumped on it. But it is not done yet.

You know where you can set up shop? Tempe/Scottsdale. Loads of work for handy fix-it people.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
Nice find.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Impressive! You removed the movement, supported it, and brushed naphtha on it, letting it drip through?

Ultrasonic cleaner filled with naptha.

Dump, repeat.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34128 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ahahahahahahaha

I saw the Thread Title "Antique Clock Yard Sale Find", and said in my head, (that's a "Bird Bro's™) post), and I was not disappointed. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Great find!

Just two weekends ago I finally got a replacement key so I could wind and adjust my old Waterbury. I love hearing it run again!

Thank you for the tip on cleaning the mechanism with naptha. This one could probably use it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13508 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of old clocks. They are fun to tinker with and display.

Yours looks like a good one...congrats!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here she is doing her thing!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/qa1PezsP-LI

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Eek
bonus !

for that price I'd have gotten it as well !

( then I'd spend $45.00 on a mantel) Roll Eyes
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54666 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post