SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Countertop Ice maker suggestions please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Countertop Ice maker suggestions please Login/Join 
Picture of ergoproxy
posted
Summer is coming and the itty bitty built-in ice maker in our french door fridge can't keep up with the demand. Any recommendations? Budget around ($200+). Please save me from spending $549 on the GE Profile Opal. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YF9SGBW/

Thank you

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I just googled portable ice maker and there seems to be quite a few out there. $99 - $2500

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
I did the same thing oldfuzzy, but looking for actual reviews from members here who actually own a specific brand/unit and their input.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had four of the counter top ice makers. I still have two as they were replacements for the originals that finally gave out after several years of good service. Prices ranged from $80 - $129 The last one I bought at Wally World for $49 on sale about a year ago. Why do I have two of them, one for home and one for the motorhome.

The brand name does not matter as they are made in chinkland and are branded with old American brands you would know such as Emerson etc. Same machine.

The good news is we start it up everyday about 4:30p for an extended happy hour. Once started, two people can not out drink it. The cubes do melt fast as they have a hole in the center, but they cool your drink down fast.

Now on the other hand, I had a $600 U-Line ice maker and it really threw the ice, but I installed it on a boat since sold.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you had a counter top ice maker before?

My brother purchased this for the grandma and grandpa day care home.

https://www.amazon.com/NewAir-...inless/dp/B0086I5YAE

About thirty people used it and liked it a lot.
it actually made too much .
You wouldn't think that , that would be a problem.
but,

If you stop making ice for three days , the water ( even filtered water ) will get a slime on it.

which means shutting everything down , emptying the ice and cleaning all the innards out . noooks, cranys, the whole sheebang.

so then he took that home and bought them this

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-I...id=1589564252&sr=8-5

they just let it run ,all day and night.

they use distilled water when refilling.

can't report on the longevity of either one ,
though, we don't go there any more

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54664 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So,
What did you end up with?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54664 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post