SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    As an older guy what over the counter meds do you find helpful for aches and pains?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As an older guy what over the counter meds do you find helpful for aches and pains? Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I'm speaking of the inevitable joint pains. Knees etc. What OTC meds seem to help the best?

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
For general aches and pains, Advil seems to be the best for me. When I’ve had to take aspirin or Tylenol in place of it, they seem to fall short.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not that old but ibuprofen for minor aches and Excedrin Migraine for anything worse. Excedrin Migraine is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine - it's a speedball of pain relief.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have chronic arthritis in my spine. I switch between aspirin and ibuprofen. There are serious risks with NSAIDs. I try not to take anything if possible. And I find nothing really helps. Hurt all day every day is the norm.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Aleve is pretty much the strongest you can get OTC. I buy a generic ibuprophen for head ache and minor pain. One really needs to take care as we age. Whatever you do, dont become idle due to pain. Use, safely, your body parts. Keep yourself safely mobile.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
CBD cream really helps the pain from nerve damage in my back. Make sure you get real CBD.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
1 Tylenol and Advil together with alot of water.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
CBD cream really helps the pain from nerve damage in my back. Make sure you get real CBD.

This can not be overstated!
Email me for assistance.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I know you said OTC but I’d consider getting Nabumetone prescribed, it does wonders for my back. I have an L5 Pars defect and it prevents me from having to use Hydrocodone and Valium.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
You might consider adding glucosamine chondroitin to your list of supplements. I've noticed a difference in myself as well as my older dogs.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I pay attention on how the meds are on my organs. I don't take much that is absorbed through the liver but I don't want to burn a hole in my stomach.
Get your Dr to include this in part B.
I get ibuprofen by script . Cuts cost big time.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
1 Tylenol and Advil together with alot of water.

This.

My dose is different- 1 Tylenol and 2 Ibuprofen.
My dentist "prescribed" this to me over the phone when I had a crack in ones of my molar years ago, to tie me over until I could get some vicodin. Once a year, he made a missionary trip overseas to help poor children and he was not allowed to bring narcotics, this was the pain mgmt meds he used.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I like Aleve, and take two tablets daily for my arthritis.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tylenol Extra Strength Arthritis Formula. ITs all I can take because I'm in the middle of recovering from having vertebrae fused, and everything else interferes with the process.

It actually works.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 acetiminophin on Tues Night another one on Friday night.

Over the Costco counter, because I am thrifty. Smile

Along w/ 7 other daily meds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
I have chronic arthritis in my spine. I switch between aspirin and ibuprofen. There are serious risks with NSAIDs. I try not to take anything if possible. And I find nothing really helps. Hurt all day every day is the norm.

This pretty much mirrors my situation. Tylenol and Aleve upset my stomach so bad that I can't take them and they were the only OTC that even helped a little.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One bottle of CBD oil, a dose a day, got me in good enough shape to resume fairly (for me) vigorous exercise. Sometimes if I overdo it I take a Tylenol with a hot coffee. My wife teases me because Mydol contains Tylenol and caffeine.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scotch.

Barring alcohol breath, I mostly use ibuprofen to augment those times that the low-dose prescription prednisone falters but aspirin also works for me in a pinch. Acetaminophen however is a non-starter for me; like taking a placebo. Haven't tried Aleve.

-MG

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aleve
I've got an old prescription of the Big Boy pills from a hip issue. Since caffeine and sugar is the limit of my usual drug use, if I'm really in pain, Naproxen 500mg actually gets me high.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kramden

Run these meds by your PCP. You said you are old so Medicare will pick up the tab. Medicare is NOW paying for Teleheath so you could set up a quick consult. NSAIDs are just fine for certain folks, but if you have liver problems or kidney issues it is not so good. Good luck

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post