SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    As an older guy what over the counter meds do you find helpful for aches and pains?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As an older guy what over the counter meds do you find helpful for aches and pains? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My go-to is Naproxen (Aleve)

Nothing else seems to work for me like Aleve does

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Advil.

Neither Aleve or Tylenol seems to help me at all.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Not condoning, just relaying the info... But according to a friend who suffers with migraines...

Two Goodys Powders and a beer will cure any headache ever made...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I rarely take "meds," per se. Only when I've injured myself or badly overdone it. For the day-to-day joint and muscle pain and stiffness that's just part of growing old I've found Turmeric, CBD oil, and regular exercise mostly does the trick.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
I'm speaking of the inevitable joint pains. Knees etc. What OTC meds seem to help the best?

I've had to move to certified THC-free CBD oil.

I was taking so much ibu it was getting ridiculous.

I chew a 10mg CBD gummie when I get off shift. If I'm still uncomfortable after dinner I'll take 800mg of ibu before bed.

ETA: I've got the beginnings of arthritis in one knee and hip, and degeneration in my upper back... and a spine fusion L4-S1.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just like grapefruit, NSAIDs like Advil are verbotten given the other meds I'm on. Aspirin and tylenol are the only "safe" ones for me.

Folks need to ensure that there are no contraindications for OTC meds they might be considering.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Aleve/Naproxene for the arthritis in my hand; tylenol for headaches.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I have an aversion to pills and medications. Unless I am in so much pain I can't sleep or function, I usually just tolerate it.

Fortunately, at 68 I'm in pretty good shape. I've been a runner for decades, so any issues I have are usually running related, and I know exercises to address them.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
At my age (82) I take 2 handfuls of meds every day, but none of them are for pain. I am blessed not to have pains. I've never had a headache. I keep some Tylenol on hand to break a fever (not very often).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Excedrin for Migraine headaches if caught early enough and Aleve for bulged disc with accompanying sciatic nerve pain and cramps, rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative disc, and osteoarthritis. It’s bad enough that I also use a prescription pain reliever which I also use for kidney stones coming from my one remaining kidney.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm 65 and I never take any of those - haven't in probably 40 years.
I just never felt like they did very much.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aleve is pretty much a daily thing these days to keep me going in the right direction.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
For the last several years all I have used is White Willow Bark. It doesn't have a bunch of chemicals in it like the modern day stuff. Willow bark was the basic Aspirin was in the early days.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
For all-over type muscle pain (I have fibromyalgia), I take kratom herb (a member on this forum turned me on to it). It took over the role from Oxycodone, and actually seems to work better. I dose every 2-4 hours or so (my monthly habit is around $3-400).

For more localized pain like joints, or headaches, good ol' ibuprofen does the job. Fairly large doses, though.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Why not address the root cause? Granted, harder than popping pills long term.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Had 2 different doctors (VA and a PCP) doctors take me off of ADVIL due to possible kidney/liver problems. ......................drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Have taken half the recommended daily dosage of glucosamine chondroitin every day for the last 3-4 years.
I’m 67 and since I started taking that OTC med I really have no aches or pains. Just started playing tennis again after laying off for 2 years. Expected to hurt a lot when I started back but that never happened.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MP
posted Hide Post
MSM for general inflammation related aches and pain. Ice and Advil for more acute pain.

Posts: 306 | Location: Houston,Texas USA | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post