SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Repainting my Metal Fascia/Trim on My Home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repainting my Metal Fascia/Trim on My Home Login/Join 
posted
When I had siding installed, they also wrapped the fascia at the same time. It is now peeling and showing the bare metal. My plan is to remove and basically peel off the remaining wrap. Next up is to prime with a self etching primer (if needed). Then a quality exterior paint (couple of coats).

Anyone tackled this project and what products did you use? I'm hoping to use products that will last as long as possible as I don't want to repeat this anytime soon as this is on a precarious location on my roof. Thank you for your help!

Posts: 1714 | Location: CO | Registered: October 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I had to repaint my metal garage door after mrs df backed through it. I used a product called Gripper by Glidden as a bonding primer and then an exterior latex enamel to finish. It never peeled and lasted well until Mrs df backed through it again a few years later. Big Grin

I’m not allowed to mention it anymore in real life.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I had to repaint my metal garage door after mrs df backed through it. I used a product called Gripper by Glidden as a bonding primer and then an exterior latex enamel to finish. It never peeled and lasted well until Mrs df backed through it again a few years later. Big Grin

I’m not allowed to mention it anymore in real this life.
Fixed it for you.

PC

Posts: 1340 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about a photo. That does not qualify as mentioning it. lOL

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have a photo but do not dare publish it. Lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When repainting metal fascia, it's crucial to use durable products for long-lasting results, especially in precarious locations like your roof. Start by removing the peeling wrap and applying a self-etching primer if needed. Also, fascia replacement is meticulous, so consult an expert in this field to ensure the job is done correctly. Several times, I've been using the help of the iReno Eavestrough and Siding company . I can recommend you contact this company. Only by using the right products and careful application will your fascia be refreshed and protected against the elements.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mac_220,

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 47 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Replacing facia metal is relatively inexpensive. If you happen to own a brake or know someone who does it could be done easily.

You can go to your local gutter/siding wholesale place and buy a roll then cut it with shears and bend to suit your facials profile. Then nail it up with some colored stainless steel nails and Bob’s your uncle.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When repainting metal fascia, it's crucial to use durable products for long-lasting results, especially in precarious locations like your roof. Start by removing the peeling wrap and applying a self-etching primer if needed. Also, fascia replacement is meticulous, so consult an expert in this field to ensure the job is done correctly.

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 47 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I had nasty olive green aluminum siding on the back of my house, circa 1989, as well as all the facia, soffit, and gutters were chalking. I power washed the hell out of it then applied Sherwin Williams Duration paint with an airless sprayer to everything. Expensive but they do have sales where you can get 25 to 40% off. This was at least 15 years ago, still looks great.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
If you happen to own a brake or know someone who does it could be done easily.
Maybe you could find a brake for Mrs. DF? Big Grin

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

After PPG bought Glidden and plandemic hit, severe precursor raw material shortages across the paint industry, the formula was changed and rebranded under a PPG label. It’s not near as good as it was. Still a good product, yes, but not what it was

Just an fyi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post