SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally some good news, Insurance decreasing, check your 2021 rates available.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally some good news, Insurance decreasing, check your 2021 rates available. Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
I normally wouldn’t discuss this sort of thing online, but we’re family here.

Insurance has been killing me. $375 a month all in. I have homeowners (modest 2000 sq ft home), auto policy (DD small car and compact truck), motorcycle policy (1 sportbike, 1 sport tourer, and 1 scooter) and a PWC/Boat policy for a ski I bought last year. I’m not rich or wealthy, just another working stiff. I’ve built my fleet because I don’t buy/sell/trade like many people do. I buy to keep. So I won’t buy anything that I’m not planning on keeping long term. My bikes are all 10 years old now. Car is 7 years old. Truck/ski were bought last year. I typically buy something, pay it off, keep it, and move on to the next thing I want. I don’t buy any expensive vehicles so have a number of inexpensive vehicles instead.

I use an insurance broker. Have used them for 7-8 years now. I got tired of shopping all this stuff myself as it’s nothing but a pain in the ass to call 6-7 companies a year for each policy. It’s far too time consuming so via a friend I use a broker who can source most anything sans companies like State Farm and All State.

So my broker is just that. They know what is going on. My homeowners, auto, and bike policies renew mid January every year so my broker can take advantage of the new year changes, if there are any. It’s usually increases and my annual scheduled call is always right before or after Christmas once the new rates are released. And I dread this call every year, it’s usually shit news, increases, and me being royally pissed off.

So just had my annual call last week and I was dreading it. $375 a month is like a got damn car payment and I sacrifice many things in life to pay for this as it’s my passion in life, vehicles. So my guy calls me, and it’s been a bad 2020 and even worse last quarter. Covid death, fixing various shit on the house, etc. He says “I think you are going to like our call today.”

Homeowners, staying with same company I use today (Mercury), $120 a year decrease.
Auto, switching back to previous homeowners/auto company (Travelers), $1200 a year DECREASE.
Motorcycle policy, switching from Progressive to American Modern. $500 a year decrease. This one blew my mind as my bikes have lots of aftermarket parts so I have optional parts coverages. On one bike it’s $14k in additional coverage, the other is $3k and it should be $5-6k but I wanted to keep the rates reasonable.

So it’s $1800 and some change decrease for 2020, or $150 a month. This is the biggest and best change to insurance policies in my life. At some point (once I pay off my truck) I want to add a performance car back in my fleet, 6MT and AWD. I’ve always had one and missing it sorely. This will enable that to happen at some point.

So check your rates boys. 2021 should yield you some decreases. I recommend using some kind of local broker in your area who can source policies through multiple/many carriers. I’m late 40’s, solid credit, no tickets/accidents.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That is great news for you Prefontaine and good information for us.

I moved to a new house 1 month ago and I "think" my car insurance dropped because I went from renter's to homeowner's insurance(multi link I think.) I'll have to do some price comparisons with a few other companies now that we're settled in.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great news. Unfortunately here in South Florida my homeowners insurance on 2 properties went up 20% this year, yet again.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Our health insurance went up again. It’s over $2000/month now.

Posts: 26919 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Our health insurance went up again. It’s over $2000/month now.

I'm right there with you. It sucks.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I convinced my brother to drop his broker and reshop his auto policy over the weekend. Switching to Connect by Ameriprise through Costco saved him 60% on his car insurance. $2900 a year savings. Apparently the State Farm broker he's been using for 20 years had him bent over.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post