SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hybrid Vehicle Owners lend me your thoughts.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hybrid Vehicle Owners lend me your thoughts. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4WD in June 2009. Had it until Apr 2017 and was the wife's primary hauler. We put over 110K miles on it and the only major repair was the timing belt replacement at the end. Traded it later for a 2017 Lexus RX350.

At the time the cost difference between the hybrid and the non hybrid was more like $3-4K if I remember correctly, because I figured we needed to put 100K on it to make it pay off for the cost of gas then.

It drove slightly different due to the braking and the engine going on and off, but after a short time we got used to it. One thing we did discover was that if your regular 12V battery died there was no way to jump start the vehicle as the rest of the engine "system" wouldn't work without that battery.

You also had to be careful with kids and drinks because the hybrid battery was beneath the rear load floor and back seat so a big spill could mean trouble. We never had an issue and the vehicle was all we expected it would be.

I bought a Ford F150 Powerboost in June 2022 and have just over 14000 miles on it. Had a check engine light a few months ago that took over a month to get repaired due to supply issues for the part they needed. Fortunately I had a loaner truck for the duration.

The driving difference between my 2022 4X4 F150 and my old 2013 F150 2WD is pronounced. The ride was much smoother in the older truck, probably due to the stiffer suspension and more off highway oriented tires of the new 4X4 truck. Its noticeably stiffer and bumpier than the old truck. It also drives a bit clunkier as the on off transition of the engine and the 10 speed automatic is not nearly as smooth as the old truck or the Toyota Highlander Hybrid for that matter.

The transitions between the engine and the motor are much more noticeable with the F150 Powerboost. What IS good about the Powerboost Hybrid, so far, is the gas mileage. On the 2013 2WD F150 my computer was showing my average gas mileage at 17.7 almost all of the time. I keep a log for my vehicles and record my mileage and maintenance. I would sometimes get 16-17 MPG according to my log, but mostly driving around town. Highway mileage was a bit better but certainly never more than 18-19 MPG so the computer was close but a little bit optimistic maybe.

On this new Hybrid Powerboost I just filled up today after mostly around town driving. Computer said I got 24.3 MPG, drove 132.3 miles electric only out of the 522.1 miles on that tank. I put in 22.5 gals for a legit 23.2 MPG. When I drive mostly highway miles the MPG actually goes down a bit to 21.8 - 22.5. With a full tank I have a range of almost 700 miles!

We loved the Toyota Highlander Hybrid and I really like the gas mileage of my new F150 Powerboost Hybrid. The ride isn't as smooth as I'd like, but it is a truck after all. I hope that the Ford turns out to be as reliable as the Toyota was and lasts me well over 100K miles. The powertrain warranty for each covers the normal life of the hybrid battery but it seems they must last much longer, as you don't hear much about people complaining about having to replace them. At least I haven't, and I follow the automotive industry quite a bit as a hobby. I'm sure the batteries have to be replaced at some point, but doesn't seem to be keeping people from buying and enjoying them.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to personal SF experiences with the Grand Highlander and the 2023 Honda Pilot, its closest rival. Note no hybrid option for now in the Pilot. Here in SD huge premiums being asked for Grand Highlanders.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So I have currently:

A 2024 Toyota Rav4 (40 MPG actual)
A 2019 Toyota Highlander (my wife drives and loves)(about 31 MPG actual)

And have had
A 2018 Toyota Highlander same as 2019 MPG just changed in 2019 to captains chairs and body style
A 2014 Toyota Prius V (the wagon version) - this I drove into the ground with 191,000 of problem free miles until 191,001 when it died and I replaced it with the Rav4)(about 44/5 MPG).

My law partner has had a
2019 Lexus 450 hybrid (if that's not the right model number then whatever that size Lexus hybrid) (about 28 MPG)
2014 Ford Fusion - about 40 MPG

We both love them.

So thoughts: I am not much of a car guy so I can't say a ton about driving and braking except that 1) its quiet and that takes getting used to, 2) the shutting off of the gas to hybrid/EV takes used to at first, 3) the acceleration of the electric (very fast) takes getting used too.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Looking forward to personal SF experiences with the Grand Highlander and the 2023 Honda Pilot, its closest rival. Note no hybrid option for now in the Pilot. Here in SD huge premiums being asked for Grand Highlanders.

Thankfully lots of at MSRP vehicles in driving distance from me it is just a wait on your specific configuration.
I have seen them as much as 15k over MSRP. I have seen one 4K under MSRP.

I’d like to snag one now but we have a dead HVAC unit that needs to be replaced and I’d like to actually get inside one and check out the size in person.
By all the videos I have watched our daily will be simple. Days when all 3 boys have sports the back will be pretty cramped but could always lay down half the 3rd row.
I need to measure between the two middle row seats for a decent sized cooler to fit there since we have to have one everywhere we go.

The Lexus TX with the plug in hybrid would be great as my wife would be able to get through the week days on electric only charging each night. But I don’t know if it will fall under the $7500 federal tax break and guessing that $7500 still won’t be enough for us to afford it since only the top of the line F Sport will get the plug in hybrid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota hybrids intrigue me. When I was shopping for a vehicle back in 2019 I was very interested in the RAV4 Hybrid. In addition to the electric stuff saving gas money it solved what I believe to be the RAV4's biggest issue. It added oomph to a very weak engine choice on Toyota's part. I think the normal RAV4 is kind of heavy and 202 hp. The Hybrid takes it up to nearly 219 which doesn't sound like much (it isn't) but it is sorely needed. What it really needs is a turbo. All that aside the hybrid was 4500 more at the same trim. Toyota wouldn't move on the price AT ALL. I like hybrid tech but it isn't worth that kind of premium, glad to hear it is getting better.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i was having a brake job done on my Tundra recently. While waiting was looking at what was on the lot. They had a couple of hybrid Rav4's. One a more basic model and the next one up. $32kish for the basic model and $36kish for the upper trim model. Msrp numbers.
Honestly I did not think that was terrible especially compared to most other vehicles there.
The hybrid price did not really seem like much or a premium. I feel like Toyota has the hybrid thing dialed. Never been a fan persae. But.

They had a Calvary Blue AWD Camry in a mid trim level. It was $32kish msrp. not a hybrid. But that car has my juices flowing.

Never really been a car guy but do like the Camry a lot.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The difference in my experience was they came off the ICE versions a bunch $$$ when we started haggling. It was cheaper to start with and they wouldn’t move at all on the sticker. At the time they had like 20 ICE and 3 hybrids on the lot which probably explains their reticence. Maybe now there are more hybrids and the price is closer.

Posts: 7498 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Watched a video on how to swap the hybrid battery in a Highlander. Looks to be straight forward and simple.

New Toyota battery is $4,000 not sure if it Carrie’s their standard 1 year parts warranty or something different.

New aftermarket battery $3,400 with 4 year warranty

Remanufactured battery $2,400 with 1-2 year warranty based upon were purchased.

Being that one would not have to worry about it for at least 10 years or maybe not even at all. I don’t see the battery replacement possibility being a big deal.

Does make me think of another question. If the hybrid battery dies is the vehicle completely dead or will it just run like a gas only vehicle?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does make me think of another question. If the hybrid battery dies is the vehicle completely dead or will it just run like a gas only vehicle?

That may vary on manufacture, it used to be most had a separate 12v battery to start the gas engine and it would run on gas only. Nowadays, each make might do it different.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
When we bought my wife's Hybrid Rav4 Limited in 2019 it was $800 more than the ICE version and the CVT was much nicer than their mechanical transmission. It's been trouble free since new and if I ever get out of a Tundra I'll look hard at the Highlander Hybrid. The batteries are nothing to worry about IMO, there are a lot of Prius's and Camry's that have well over 100k on them and many years old. Toyota seems to have their hybrid tech down pat.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post