SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rolling a 401/403 into a new traditionl IRA after 59.5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rolling a 401/403 into a new traditionl IRA after 59.5 Login/Join 
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted
I have searched but can't find any documentation that puts our retirement plan totally at ease. I know if you open a Roth IRA you have to wait 5 years before making withdraws. I'm specifically talking about rolling my wife's 401/403 Trans America retirement account into say a Vanguard traditional IRA in about 4 years if/when she retires with me and she will be 60 at that time. I already signed my irrevocable retirement papers for the end of February 2028. I cant stay got to go, I can go sooner but not later. Because Trans America will not let you select what fund you withdraw from when she retires Their rep suggested/ stated that most Baptist heath employees roll their plans into a traditional IRA. Looked into it, sounds good, and they have more funds in a Vanguard or other IRA than Trans America. What I'm trying to confirm is after age 59.5 if you retire roll your 401/403 into a new traditional IRA with say Vanguard, once the monies clear, that you can start making withdraws right away and not have to wait 5 years like a Roth. Everything I read we should be good to go. Any info or supporting documentation would be appreciated. Thanks Hray.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
When you move funds from 401k or 403b into traditional IRA, ensure that the transfer is properly coded on the IRS forms. There is a particular alphanumeric code that conveys to the IRS that your funds are NOT withdrawn and subject to taxation, but are simply moving to another retirement vehicle.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thanks it would probably be a custodian to custodian transfer Think that’s the proper terminology. But will keep that in mind. Thanks

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Whenever I’ve had a question about such things, I called Vanguard and they were able to answer it.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I’ve rolled 401ks from my company into a brokerage 401k. All I did each time was contact the receiving brokerage which, in my case, is Schwab. I think important info is how the check is made out. Then you contact the 401k management company to tell them what you want. Some of them can transfer directly, some of them won’t and will send you a check. You have to get it deposited and processed before the time limit hits when you have to pay taxes on it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk to a CPA this is complicated. The penalties for getting it wrong are draconian. 50 percent.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I agree talk with a cpa. I am pretty sure you will be able to withdraw as long as you are of age 59-1/2. Or should I say, your wife.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
When I retired in Dec 2021, I rolled my employer 401k into a regular Schwab IRA. Super easy, no taxes, and I started withdrawals right away. Definitely do custodian to custodian.

Withdrawals from a 401k or IRA are both identical as far as federal income tax. Both are fully taxed as income.

Seriously look at maximizing Roth conversions now. Your tax bracket may not be lower in retirement, meaning a conversion now may not cost more in taxes. At the least, consider starting a Roth now so you get that 5 year clock started.

Roth withdrawals are invisible to the tax man. Many other taxes or fees are based on taxable income, so being zero income is a really valuable thing.

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes, 59.5 is good to make withdrawals without penalty from traditional 401k or IRA. The IRS documentation is specific on this. But it is written in a confusing way. Print it out and even use a pencil to group the paragraphs and sub-paragraphs.

Posts: 9451 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
When I retired in Dec 2021, I rolled my employer 401k into a regular Schwab IRA. Super easy, no taxes, and I started withdrawals right away. Definitely do custodian to custodian.

Do the straight Custodian to Custodian, don't touch the funds yourself.

Schwab has always handled any of my rollovers promptly and correctly.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enrolled 401k’s into IRA’s 3 times when leaving an employer, all well before I was 59.5

Like others said above, custodian to custodian.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Whenever I’ve had a question about such things, I called Vanguard and they were able to answer it.

Spoke with a Vanguard Rep. and said I would be good to go for my scenario.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP