SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any scale model or diorama builders here?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any scale model or diorama builders here? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Back in high school in early 80s (!), I built several dioramas of 1/35th scale WWII models. Tamiya if I recall. No surviving pictures. They were pretty good for the times and my age. Alas, no pictures and nothing remains but my memories...

Tamiya builds some awsome stuff. I have one of their A10 Warthog kits. Started to assemble it, was having trouble trying to paint the details and was getting frustrated so I set it aside. Need to spring for the Tamiya paints, the Testors stuff just isn't up to such small detail. Also want to airbrush the fuselage and try various accenting and weathering ideas on it.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Got the critter quarters pretty well done. Waiting on a farmhouse kit to determine position and footprint so I can plan the rest of the scenery.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't say I had much luck with the Tamiya kits. Closest thing I had done lately was Legos. Big Grin

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Can't say I had much luck with the Tamiya kits. Closest thing I had done lately was Legos. Big Grin

They do tend to be pretty detailed and the parts get smaller (and therefore harder to see) every year. Roll Eyes

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Got the critter quarters pretty well done. Waiting on a farmhouse kit to determine position and footprint so I can plan the rest of the scenery.

Now if you can make a tornado, place the cow in it, and have a truck driving along side with the words "cow, we have a cow." Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sure do! I tried to build the Tamiya kits from the BTCC. There were about thirty shades of paint that it took to build the things.

The barn looks good. I do like the old shed that has the bulldozer being taken apart. Almost seems like the guy in the truck is ready to pick up the tracks and be on his merry way. Wink

If you want to watch several hours melt away, grab a 13 year old and some Legos. I had built a Lego airplane, but we shot it down and it crashed.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you want to watch several hours melt away, grab a 13 year old and some Legos. I had built a Lego airplane, but we shot it down and it crashed.

When my eldest granddaughter (now 33) was a pre-teen, we spent a lot of quality time with Legos.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Back in high school in early 80s (!), I built several dioramas of 1/35th scale WWII models. Tamiya if I recall. No surviving pictures. They were pretty good for the times and my age. Alas, no pictures and nothing remains but my memories...

Here are a few photos from my model railroad club's layout. You can see the electrostatically laid grass.
We use a Noch ( German company) Static grass applicator.
Click Here
Click Here .
Sorry, on my phone. Can't post photos.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:

Here are a few photos from my model railroad club's layout. You can see the electrostatically laid grass.
We use a Noch ( German company) Static grass applicator.
Click Here
Click Here .
Sorry, on my phone. Can't post photos.

Nice! HO scale? Do you happen to know the source of some of the vehicles? I'd love to add that blue cabover stake truck to my diorama.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Getting there. The barn light is a white LED running on 3 volts. I have one in the house too but it's way too bright and the walls glow. I'll have to put a resistor in the line and drop the voltage a little. Ordered a yard light that'll go over by the grain bins. They're all on switches and run off a 3v wall wart.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Looking good so far.

For the lights, we run a 12V and 5V bus under the layout. Any building lights hook into those. If your lights are too bright and shine through the wall of a plastic building, use black kraft paper to line the walls.

All the stuff on our layout is HO scale (1:87th) vs the 1:64th of the ERTL farm stuff. I'll look into who makes that stake bed truck.
If your era is the 1970's, I have some really nice Ford F150's in HO scale, that I could send you. If you would like them, please send my your address. My email is in my profile.

More scenes.
Hobos at a twinkling LED fire. static grass and other Woodland Scenics scenery materials.

Switchers in front of the packing plant. Static grass and Woodland Scenics scenery materials.

BTW, Scenery Express has a lot of cool scenery materials.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Whoa! That hobo scene is amazing! I've worked a little bit on flowers, need different materials for the blooms. I'll check the link on Scenery Express.

Just what I need, another place to send money to... Razz

You'll have mail in a bit. Thanks!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
One thing that I had been able to get working was to have a central lights of different brightness and running fiber optic lines to each bulb depending on how bright it needed to be. Mostly because of the heat (no LEDs on hand) inside the smaller items. Now if you had to have it really small, the glass FO lines worked best. There is the added plus that the light is directional for things like car headlights and taillights plus light inside the buildings. If you are like me and are in it for the PITA stuff, turn signals and doorbells could come in to play. Wink

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Here is the stake bed truck you're looking for:
Athearn Stake bed truck HO Scale
I would look on ebay for it.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
HO scale is a great scale to work in because there's just so much out there for it.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice work.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
Here is the stake bed truck you're looking for:
Athearn Stake bed truck HO Scale
I would look on ebay for it.

Thanks!

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post

Here's another one that has static grass and some elements from Scenery Express.

Some water effects.

video of parts of the layout.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Waiting on an order that includes scale cats and dogs, a selection of scale birds and some other odds and ends and this corner will be pretty much finished.

Unless, of course, something else occurs to me.

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You've got yourself a great winter hobby going on. I wish I had the room to try something like that.

Keep up with the updates. I'm enjoying your work.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post