SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ESPN analyst Greg McElroy challenges top draft prospect Kayvon Thibodeaux to take IQ, Wonderlic test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ESPN analyst Greg McElroy challenges top draft prospect Kayvon Thibodeaux to take IQ, Wonderlic test Login/Join 
posted
This is too funny!

Oregon defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux did an interview with FOX Sports' Joel Klatt during the 2022 College Football Playoff national championship game Monday. Thibodeaux discussed attending Oregon over Alabama, and he had some things to say about the supposed quality of education at both institutions and why he chose the Ducks.

"I already hate the stigmatism of football players being dumb jocks," Thibodeaux said. "So now, do you know the stigmatism of Alabama education? It ain’t the West Coast. It ain’t Harvard."

Later in the interview, Thibodeaux continued to talk about an Alabama education.

"If I would have went to Alabama ... I don't know if my degree would mean anything," Thibodeaux said.
ESPN college football analyst and former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy took offense to Thibodeaux's statements. He discussed it for quite a while on his radio show with Cole Cubelic — "McElroy and Cubelic In the Morning."

"I just take real personal offense, man," McElroy said Thursday. "I genuinely do. I don't care. Don't come. If you think so little of us, don't come. Fine by me, because I know the people that live in this state. I chose Alabama, because I love Alabama. ... If you don't want to see Alabama for the greatness it can potentially provide you, it's on you. You're missing out.

Cubelic and McElroy both chastised Thibodeaux for saying "stigmatism" when he meant "stigma."

"He says he doesn't like the stigma that athletes are dumb jocks, and yet, he sounds like a dumb jock," McElroy said.

McElroy played quarterback at Alabama from 2007-10. The New York Jets took him in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

"What I don't understand is why he felt the need to cut down Alabama," McElroy said. "And as someone who has always taken his academic situation very seriously, I'll just come at him with this — if he'd like to take an IQ test, I'm available. If he'd like to take the Wonderlic test, I'm available. As a proud graduate with multiple degrees from Alabama, I will put my degree up against his any day of the week."

McElroy was a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship in 2010. The Rhodes Scholarship is a postgraduate award for 102 students to attend the University of Oxford in Oxford, England.

"I'd like to show him the offers, because I would be willing to bet that Harvard didn't offer him," McElroy said. "I think they probably would have taken him, but Harvard did offer me — as did Yale, as did Princeton, as did almost every Ivy League school along with Duke, Stanford, Northwestern and Vanderbilt. And I chose Alabama, so put 'er there Kayvon Thibodeaux

Thibodeaux had 49 total tackles, 35 solo tackles, and seven sacks for Oregon during the 2021 season. He's projected by many to be on of the first picks – if not the first overall pick – in the 2022 NFL draft

"Meet me at the Wonderlic (test)," McElroy said later in the show. "Meet me there, Kayvon. Come get some. Match my 48 — or 43, whichever one it was."

The Wonderlic test is an IQ test that used to be given at the NFL Combine for NFL Draft prospects. A perfect score for a Wonderlic test is 50 points.

During Monday's interview with FOX, Thibodeaux also talked about how Oregon's connection to Nike led him Eugene over Tuscaloosa.

"You know what I sat back and thought about? I sat back and said 'what world do I want to be a part of?' I said if I go to Alabama, I’m going to win national championships, literally," Thibodeaux said. "But do I want to be a guy who’s known as a national championship winner or do I want to be a guy who’s known for being a part of the greatest organization in the world? ... A brand like Nike, for me what brand associations do I want to be tied to."

The 2022 NFL Draft is scheduled to take place April 28-30.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I already hate the stigmatism of football players being dumb jocks," Thibodeaux said. "So now, do you know the stigmatism of Alabama education? It ain’t the West Coast. It ain’t Harvard."

Later in the interview, Thibodeaux continued to talk about an Alabama education.

"If I would have went to Alabama ... I don't know if my degree would mean anything," Thibodeaux said.

Look, as an Auburn fan I'm no fan of Alabama. But if he'd gone there and actually taken the coursework I bet he might have know the difference between a bad perception and bad eyesight, and could combine proper verbs and nouns.

Greg may not be helping his ESPN gig going head to head, no matter how funny this all might be.

Link to original article on USA Today as posted above.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...You know what I sat back and thought about? I sat back and said 'what world do I want to be a part of?' I said if I go to Alabama, I’m going to win national championships, literally," Thibodeaux said. "But do I want to be a guy who’s known as a national championship winner or do I want to be a guy who’s known for being a part of the greatest organization in the world? ... A brand like Nike, for me what brand associations do I want to be tied to."

Loosely translated- "I'm a fucking whore, and I'm smart enough to figure out where the money is yet dumb enough to say it on tv!"

Yet another reason why I don't watch football anymore.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
This is too funny!

Oregon defensive end Kayvon Thibodeaux ...

"If I would have went to Alabama ...

Yeah, a real rocket surgeon, that guy

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
As an Auburn fan, I'll take the Rhodes finalist, and the points. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
"He says he doesn't like the stigma that athletes are dumb jocks, and yet, he sounds like a dumb jock," McElroy said.

Haha, that was my exact thought when I saw the quotes from Thibodeaux.

Also the "symbology" scene from Boondock Saints:

"Stigmatism? I'm sure the word you were looking for was stigma... Ssssssstigma."

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
You can get corrective lenses for ‘stigmatism

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
"If I would have went to Alabama ... I don't know if my degree would mean anything,"

Poor Kayvon hasn't learned a thing beyond the recruiting sales pitch he got his senior year in high school. Oregon sits below the mean academic average for the Pac-12 conference, which is heavily tilted with scholastic heavy-weights so, hearing this kid mouth-off about the value of a Oregon education over other schools is pretty hilarious.

What's this guy attempting to major in?

Quick check:
Univ of Oregon 84% acceptance rate
Univ of Alabama 80% acceptance rate

Who's degree is more valuable again?

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, because Oregon produces so many road scholars. Roll Eyes

You are an NCAA football player - your degree is manufactured.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, because Oregon produces so many road scholars.

Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Wonderlic test is an IQ test that used to be given at the NFL Combine for NFL Draft prospects. A perfect score for a Wonderlic test is 50 points.
Just to keep the debate flowing, if you don't know much about this 'test' go research it. This particular 'test' is one of the most absurd and worthless creations of psychologists and HR goons ever devised. Score a perfect 50 on this test and you've demonstrated absolutely nothing of value to anyone but the nitwits grading the test. If McElroy wants to make a point, he might want to find a better way to accomplish it than trotting out this BS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct in your assessment of the Wonderlic. It has been aroud since the 1930s and used by the NFL for some time.
The Wechsler scales or the Stanford Binet are the tests in use these days. The Wechsler and Binet take sometime to administer and are given by a trained technician or Psychologist.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont have a dog in this fight but attaining a business management degree from Alabama can be accomplished heavily under the influence of many substances. It is also important to know that McElroy is reported to have pursued the Rhodes Scholar avenue but was not awarded.

I will say he appears to have made a nice life for he and his family and may very well be an exceptional individual. Although his wit here with Thibodeaux is either a ruse to garner attention or share his own possible stupidity with everyone.

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bordeth:
I dont have a dog in this fight but attaining a business management degree from Alabama can be accomplished heavily under the influence of many substances. It is also important to know that McElroy is reported to have pursued the Rhodes Scholar avenue but was not awarded.

I will say he appears to have made a nice life for he and his family and may very well be an exceptional individual. Although his wit here with Thibodeaux is either a ruse to garner attention or share his own possible stupidity with everyone.
What both of these sports nitwits completely miss in their 'manhood comparisons', college has nothing to do with ability or intelligence. That from someone with a couple college degrees who has finally awakened to that reality. The most intelligent and successful person I know by far has a basic high school diploma, and I truly believe there are no limits whatsoever to what he can accomplish. However, my bet is if you ran him through a Wonderlic test, he'd likely fail it spectacularly. What's really funny, this scene makes far more sense to me today than it did the first time I saw it....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the best scenes in the movie ! And very true.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Yes, because Oregon produces so many road scholars. Roll Eyes

Somebody that specializes in studying roads?

Perhaps you meant "Rhodes Scholars?"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post