SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why a patient paid a $285 copay for a $40 drug
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why a patient paid a $285 copay for a $40 drug Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just because you are picking up a "generic" pill for a script doesn't mean you're gettng the best price for that pill.

As stated earlier, prescription prices vary, there is no common price for Hyzaar that is set across the board, it might be $50 at your local Pharmacy and half that price at a Wal-Mart, and the reverse is true, you have to ask.

We had to pick up an antibiotic for our dog, they sent it up to the close Publix, I called and the price was about $35, since our Basset has no insurance, co-pay, or deductibles to worry about I called CVS, where it was $45, called Costco and it was $25, however the pharmacist asked if the Hound had insurance.

Since she doesn't have insurance I could sign her up for a discount program for those without coverage, net net net, $15 out the door.

Same pills, so check around, you might be surprised.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a prescription med. The pharmacist initially stated that my insurance copay was sixty bucks.

I know the pharmacist, we are on good terms. I jokingly asked him for a discount. He told me to wait a minute, clicked some keys on his computer keyboard, then told me forty-eight bucks, instead of sixty.

I asked how he did it. He canceled the insurance link and gave me the self-pay cash price.

After I got home, I remembered GoodRx and checked the med price there. Best cash price, with a printable coupon from the GoodRx website, was less than nineteen bucks at CostCo.

Couple of lessons learned:

1. As stated in this thread, insurance copay is definitely not always the loweest cost.

2. Check GoodRx a week or so before refill is due.

3. Do NOT have the doctor's office send the prescription directly to a pharmacy. Get a hard copy of the prescription, take it home, and spend a few minutes on the computer with GoodRx.

4. Discuss with pharmacist. S/he does have the ability to do a little digging to find the lowest cost at his / her particular pharmacy.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Those elected Jackasses need to spend more time amongst their constituents instead of grabassing
Each other in Washington but nah, they’ve already screwed health care up once already..

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just picked up a prescription med. The pharmacist initially stated that my insurance copay was sixty bucks.

I know the pharmacist, we are on good terms. I jokingly asked him for a discount. He told me to wait a minute, clicked some keys on his computer keyboard, then told me forty-eight bucks, instead of sixty.

I asked how he did it. He canceled the insurance link and gave me the self-pay cash price.

After I got home, I remembered GoodRx and checked the med price there. Best cash price, with a printable coupon from the GoodRx website, was less than nineteen bucks at CostCo.

Couple of lessons learned:

1. As stated in this thread, insurance copay is definitely not always the loweest cost.

2. Check GoodRx a week or so before refill is due.

3. Do NOT have the doctor's office send the prescription directly to a pharmacy. Get a hard copy of the prescription, take it home, and spend a few minutes on the computer with GoodRx.

4. Discuss with pharmacist. S/he does have the ability to do a little digging to find the lowest cost at his / her particular pharmacy.

Thanks. That is a good list of things to follow.

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Discussed this with my doc yesterday. He said even he and his three kids (all doctors) are not immune to price gouging. Said always ask the pharmacist first. Insurers fuck everyone equally.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Yes, check around to other pharmacies as well. Our dog had to have surgery, and the vet either couldn’t or wouldn’t offer the pain meds he needed for post surgery....called the local CVS, they wanted $125 for the script. Called Kroger, and the same script was $25. Same exact amount of pills, too. Guess where I went?
And look for coupons, etc.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post