SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why a patient paid a $285 copay for a $40 drug
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why a patient paid a $285 copay for a $40 drug Login/Join 
posted
Two years ago Gretchen Liu, 78, had a transient ischemic attack — which experts sometimes call a “mini stroke” — while on a trip to China. After she recovered and returned home to San Francisco, her doctor prescribed a generic medication called telmisartan to help manage her blood pressure.

Liu and her husband Z. Ming Ma, a retired physicist, are insured through an Anthem Medicare plan. Ma ordered the telmisartan through Express Scripts, the company that manages pharmacy benefits for Anthem and also provides a mail-order service.

The copay for a 90-day supply was $285, which seemed high to Ma.

“I couldn’t understand it — it’s a generic,” said Ma. “But it was a serious situation, so I just got it.”

A month later, Ma and his wife were about to leave on another trip, and Ma needed to stock up on her medication. Because 90 days hadn’t yet passed, Anthem wouldn’t cover it. So during a trip to his local Costco, Ma asked the pharmacist how much it would cost if he got the prescription there and paid out of pocket.

The pharmacist told him it would cost about $40.

“I was very shocked,” said Ma. “I had no idea if I asked to pay cash, they’d give me a different price.”

Insurance copays are higher than the cost of the drug about 25 percent of the time, according to a study published in March by the University of Southern California’s Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics.
Ma’s experience of finding a copay higher than the cost of the drug wasn’t that unusual. Insurance copays are higher than the cost of the drug about 25 percent of the time, according to a study published in March by the University of Southern California’s Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics.

USC researchers analyzed 9.5 million prescriptions filled during the first half of 2013. They compared the copay amount to what the pharmacy was reimbursed for the medication and found in the cases where the copay was higher, the overpayments averaged $7.69, totaling $135 million that year.

USC economist Karen Van Nuys, a lead author of the study, had her own story of overpayment. She discovered she could buy a one-year supply of her generic heart medication for $35 out of pocket instead of $120 using her health insurance.

Van Nuys said her experience, and media reports she had read about the practice, spurred her and her colleagues to conduct the study. She had also heard industry lobbyists refer to the practice as “outlier.”

“I wouldn’t call one in four an ‘outlier practice,’” Van Nuys said.

“You have insurance because your belief is, you’re paying premiums, so when you need care, a large fraction of that cost is going to be borne by your insurance company,” said Geoffrey Joyce, a USC economist who co-authored the study with Van Nuys. “The whole notion that you are paying more for the drug with insurance is just mind boggling, to think that they’re doing this and getting away with it.”

Joyce told PBS NewsHour Weekend the inflated copays could be explained by the role in the pharmaceutical supply chain played by pharmacy benefit managers, or PBMs. He explained that insurers outsource the management of prescription drug benefits to pharmacy benefit managers, which determine what drugs will be covered by a health insurance plan, and what the copay will be. “PBMs run the show,” said Joyce.

In the case of Express Scripts, the company manages pharmacy benefits for insurers and also provides a prescription mail-delivery service.

Express Scripts spokesperson Brian Henry confirmed to PBS NewsHour Weekend the $285 copay that Ma paid in 2016 for his wife’s telmisartan was correct, but didn’t provide an explanation as to why it was so much higher than the $40 Costco price. Henry said that big retailers like Costco sometimes offer deep discounts on drugs through low-cost generics programs.

USC’s Geoffrey Joyce said it is possible that Costco negotiated a better deal on telmisartan from the drug’s maker than Express Scripts did, and thus could sell it for cheaper. But, he said, the price difference, $285 versus $40, was too large for this to be the likely explanation.

Joyce said it is possible another set of behind-the-scenes negotiations between the pharmacy benefit managers and drug makers played a role. He explained that drug manufacturers will make payments to pharmacy benefit managers called “rebates.”

Rebates help determine where a drug will be placed on a health plan’s formulary. Formularies often have “tiers” that determine what the copay will be, with a “tier one” drug often being the cheapest, and the higher tiers more expensive.

Pharmacy benefit managers usually take a cut of the rebate and then pass them on to the insurer. Insurers say they use use the money to lower costs for patients.

Joy said a big rebate to a pharmacy benefit manager can mean placement on a low tier with a low copayment, which helps drives more patients to take that drug.

In the case of Ma’s telmisartan, Express Scripts confirmed to PBS NewsHour Weekend that the generic drug was designated a “nonpreferred brand,” which put it on the plan’s highest tier with the highest copay.

Joyce said sometimes pharmacy benefit managers try to push customers to take another medication for which it had negotiated a bigger rebate. “It’s financially in their benefit that you take the other drug,” said Joyce. “But that’s of little consolation to the person who just goes to the pharmacy with a prescription that their physician gave them.”

But Joyce said the pharmacy benefit managers also profit when collecting copays that are higher than the cost of the drug.

In recent years, the industry has taken a lot of heat from the media and elected officials over a controversial practice called “clawbacks.” This happens when a pharmacist collects a copay at the cash register that’s higher than the cost of the drug, and the pharmacy benefit manager takes most of the difference.

LINK: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/h...-copay-for-a-40-drug

Posts: 17534 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when there are 100 different prices for the same product or service.

My biggest complaint with all things healthcare. What's the price?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I will check, we have anthym

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard consumers in other countries pay far less for the same drugs than Americans.

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have said for years that my plan to bring health care costs under control is to make health insurance illegal. Cash pay, free market, problem solved.

Posts: 3550 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I have said for years that my plan to bring health care costs under control is to make health insurance illegal. Cash pay, free market, problem solved.

Might work for out of control college tuition also. As long as colleges can hike tuition and government assistance and student loans pay for it there is no incentive to control costs.

Posts: 13128 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I have heard consumers in other countries pay far less for the same drugs than Americans.

Much less

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have also heard of Americans going to other countries for medical work. Most common is probably dental work.

When I lived in El Paso, it wasn't unusual for people to go to Juarez for prescription drugs.

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

Might work for out of control college tuition also. As long as colleges can hike tuition and government assistance and student loans pay for it there is no incentive to control costs.

Having something paid for by someone else is the cause of all of this. Screws up incentives something awful.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I check Goodrx every time I get a refill. I don't get all my prescriptions at the same pharmacy because of significant price differences.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sad part is most of the generic stuff is manufactured in India, China, Mexico, Brazil, etc. Check your prescription bottle. Usually there is a manufacturer listed. Google them. Very eye opening some of the issues some of these companies have in their facilities overseas.

God only knows what type of oversight, regardless of what they say they do, that actually sends these products out the door and into our bodies.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Having something paid for by someone else is the cause of all of this. Screws up incentives something awful.

Not only is there no incentive to control costs, the incentive is to raise them. Although he didn’t anticipate college loans, Henry Hazlitt warned what would happen to prices when the “government” started making money available to people who otherwise couldn’t afford them to purchase other products. That was in 1946, and that and his other predictions have come true in one example after another. It’s the most basic of all economic principles: When people have more money to spend on something, the sellers will raise their prices when the buyers don’t object because the money is essentially free when acquired, and there’s no other reason not to.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47720 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I just found this out for myself.
Needed a prescription filled and insurance would not cover it, $88 (at Kroger pharmacy) not a huge deal baby needed the meds so guess what we would pay it. Dr. Called and said they called the local independent pharmacy and they only wanted $27.
Baby is also on a monthly med that runs $60 a month with insurance. I asked this place how much it would be from them, $32.
Also use a steroid/antibiotic ear drop for all 3 boys on occasion. $85 a bottle with insurance and the local place wants $25.
Sure this place is a little bit out of the way but all our prescriptions will be filled there now unless it is an emergency kind of thing and is needed after they closed.

I have a buddy that drives to Canada from Kentucky every 3 months to pickup a 90 supply of his daughters meds because even with time, gas, hotel, it is still way cheaper there.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
local investigating reporter covered this topic recently

they can be found at the fox8 New Orleans website along with his latest "licensed to pill" with the opioid stuff

all pretty eye opening

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
We have no health insurance. I have a direct care physician I pay $160 mo, we can go in as much as needed with no additional copay. I have quarterly bloodwork I have to get that when I had insurance cost between $75 and $125 through insurance, now it costs as little as $2.50 and my doctor tells me all prices up front before running any tests, when I had insurance no one gave a crap and it cost me. My primary care saved me $14mo on my prescription right off the bat and many other supplements and prescriptions she stocks in office are cheaper as well, if not she tells us what pharmacy has the best price. It sucks not having insurance, if something major happens I'm screwed, but just having insurance these days often screws you. Its a good idea to ask the pharmacy how much a prescription costs before putting a script in. I believe if you have insurance on file you have to pay the insurance price. Its amazing to see the cash price difference on some things. I never had issues with medical insurance before the ACA.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:

I have also heard of Americans going to other countries for medical work. Most common is probably dental work.

When I lived in El Paso, it wasn't unusual for people to go to Juarez for prescription drugs.

I had dental work done in Mexico. My dentist wanted $4,300 . I had the work done in Mexico for $1,200 and it was considered a bit high. So far, it's been 6 years since I had the work done and it's fine.

Anything medical in the states is nothing but robbery.

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
When I was temporarily working in El Paso many years ago, my 12 year old son had to have some dental work done. Got it across the border for cheap, but he had a mexican accent after, ha.
My main gripe is that I go into grocery store/pharmacy and they have posters set up advertising flu shots for $25 and they give you a $5 store gift card, etc. The store across the street has them for $19.95. And I even got a call last week from them wanting me to make an appointment to come in and get my flu shot. Here's what gives me the monkey red; couple of months ago I get a letter from Medicare showing my charges from last year (flu shot was only one), Pharmacy/grocery store charged and was paid by medicare for almost $100 for the shot. So much $ for the vaccine and about $20 to administer the shot. I could have paid for it myself and saved Medicare a huge amount. My opinion, ripping off Medicare is organized crime.

Posts: 269 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:
My opinion, ripping off Medicare is organized crime.

Forget baseball. Gaming/abusing government programs is the national pastime.

Posts: 33110 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

Much less

True statement!

Probably 20 years ago my brother in law needed heart medication. He could afford the higher prices but refused. Checked into it and found that by driving from Spokane to Canada he could get the same medication (in some cases same lot number) there for far less than half what he had to pay in Spokane.

Later, he also discovered that he could do the same by going to Mexico. Flew down there, with wife, spent a week, bought his meds, flew home and still saved money.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:

Much less

It's becoming more and more common with seniors to go overseas, particularly tagging vacation on top of the medical call.
Here's a couple that went to Malta for dental work.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post