SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Central Florida and ants - outsider question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Central Florida and ants - outsider question Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
This last summer my wife and I stayed in The Villages for a week or so. One thing we noticed was ants. Specifically these little blackish ants that are hard to see with the human eye.

On day one there was a trail from a hole in the grout to some food source. Set some bait and they were gone in a day.

A few days later I bought some Entamin’s chocolate donuts in a box. I bought these at 8 pm and set them on the counter for breakfast. The following morning, my ant farm science experiment had blossomed. The donuts went in the trash, ant bait deployed and ihop for breakfast.

I started to notice after that, these little savages are everywhere. They’re great for cleanup, but damn, they seem to get into everything. If you put a plate on a cookie sheet and add water to the cookie sheet, then the plate is an ant free island that can store sugar products. Everyone I spoke with seemed to not be bothered by the little ants, or they chalked it up to “Florida Life”.

So how does one store food in a normal (non prepper) home? Lots of Rubbermaid?

Is this ant situation fairly normal for Central Florida?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with the local County Agent. Fire ants are the big problem.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ghost ants. Spray the exterior perimeter of the house with permethrin. You can spray the baseboards inside as well.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I think most folks that have homes down in Florida also have a pest control person on a regular rotation. My family certainly does.
It’s just about controlling them, there’s not a chance of getting rid of them.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5342 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We called them sugar ants when I was growing up in Tampa.

The only way to rid yourself of them is to spray often.
Last time I was down visiting my big bro, I found a nest in his attic. I went to Lowe’s and bought a 2 gal sprayer and some Bifen I/T and hosed everything down, inside and out. He’s crippled, but if he makes only one gallon he can manage that.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ghost ants are a type of sugar ant. The ghost ants have a partially white, clear-ish body, hence the ghost part. Treatment is the same for both.

None of them are fire ants, which are a different ballgame.

Posts: 11005 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Regular exterminator or regular self spray of the same. Either way you still will spot treat at times. Down here you won't ever get rid of bugs.

If food is left out in the kitchen and you are getting a line of ants then whatever your pest control regime is needs to be beefed up. Now dropping a donut outside is another story.

What the heck is a County Agent? I have lived in Florida for decades and dealt with Florida-esque isues but I have never run across that term.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These guys know everything.
https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/find-your-local-office/

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ants can be problematic here, best bet is to get both an exterminator for the house on a regular schedule, and let them know about the ant issue, and a regular lawn fertilizer/pest company, sometimes you can get both from the same company, check to see who your neighbors use.

This year has been odd for ants, we saw them quite a bit, due to whatever the reason, the ants are probably outside the home in a colony and have found a way in to the food. You need both indoor and outside barriers against them.

Ants tend to move, and if you have construction going on in the area they are being displaced from the ground prep, and, if you have neighbors who are taking care of the lawns with pest/insect control then the ants will go to the lawn that isn't doing that.

I could give you all the details on diy but iirc you are not here all the time, so check around find out who uses who in the area, and get someone to treat the home and yard on a regular basis.

Oh yes, get rubbermaid or some kind of sealing containers for food, eliminate as much cardboard items as you can, we dump the OEM boxes into sealed containers, cereal, rice, crackers, snacks, anything not sealed.

Hit up Costco they have some good deals, or Wal-Mart, Target etc.

That helps and since you are gone for weeks/months at a time, dump out stuff into the trash before you go that you don't want to go bad.

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So these guys are called County Agents?

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
So these guys are called County Agents?

They show up at Lowes, Home Desperate, landscape places from time to time with education, it's an extension of UF and the local county.

For example, you can do a soil test with them to find out what your yard really needs to improve, vs paying the local landscape company to send it to them for you...

https://soilslab.ifas.ufl.edu/...-testing-laboratory/

Posts: 23560 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My kid went to UF, I’ve seen that map before I’ve just never heard the term County Agents before. As in ever. I will look out for these guys at the big box store. Never seen what you are describing. Sounds useful-ish.

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Keep sealing up any gaps that bugs can get in and spray the exterior twice a year.

I keep food out on the counters with no issues. You just need to stay on top of things.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
My kid went to UF, I’ve seen that map before I’ve just never heard the term County Agents before. As in ever. I will look out for these guys at the big box store. Never seen what you are describing. Sounds useful-ish.

Same here, never heard the term used, it's listed as County Extension office.

You can contact your county office from the link and they will send you whatever you need, soil bags, forms, info on growing plants, etc.

https://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/find-your-local-office/

Just click on your county and get the contact information

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I don’t live there, but it was something I was curious about.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Timely thread as we have seen an increase in them lately. We have a bug guy but I need to have him step it up. Saw some in a ceiling corner so maybe we need that attic checked better?

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
All this rain has the ants marching and seeking higher ground.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
All this rain has the ants marching and seeking higher ground.

And some normal pest applications won't affect ants as well as others, we use Transport GHP but the ants were getting past it, probably in an area that I didn't get good coverage.

Following the trail out the back down the patio we found where they were coming on the pool deck from the shrubs and voila big ol hill.

Advion ant bait is a good product, you find the track, put some of the gel bait out and they take it back to the nest. To spray outside Navigator is a product similar to Transport but for ants, no smell, ants track into it, take it back and die a slow death.

Ants come from outdoors, so you have to build a defense outside and inside to win.

Link for Ant products

posted Hide Post

Kids love this tune.

posted Hide Post
On the bright side, a boy can eat a half-brick of graham crackers that are just full of sugar ants with no ill effects (for the boy; it was pretty hard on the ants).

Yes, it took a half-brick for the boy to notice the ants.

Then, if he's a barbarian, he can shake out all the ants possible, and finish the graham crackers.

I wouldn't recommend this with fire ants.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post