SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quality of Consumer Grade Wireless Security Cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality of Consumer Grade Wireless Security Cameras Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
I'spent the last year installing a wired camera system in my church but I really want two or three cameras out in the parking lots and doing it wired is pretty impractical... so, I'm looking at installing a wireless system (solar powered) and then hooking it to my wired system... (I think I figured this out) but I'm wondering about the range of these critters. I need about 100 yards but then going into a building through about 3 walls, one 12" thick masonry.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A hundred yards, going through walls is going to require a wireless bridge with directional antennas like this: Link.

An outdoor WAP mounted on the side of the church where the camera will be would probably be OK for 300’.

Otherwise, you’ll have to run a wire.

Posts: 10970 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
About a year ago, I installed 5 Eufy S60 wireless, solar cameras to and around my house. They interfaced nicely to my wifi and do exactly what they should. I have not touched any of them since installation. The Tucson sun keeps them at 100% charged. Here is a photo I extracted from a download.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not knowing all of the limitations of the installation ~ it's going to be rough.
The first obstacle is powering the unit ~ solar, POE (preferred) or separate power source.
The second deals with the actual Wi-Fi signal path.
Antennas or bridges can deal with the latter.
Looking at an consumer grade unit to reliably provide all above is not very likely or may not even be possible unless all your lucky ducks are in a row.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of these cameras in/on my chicken coop because running Cat6 for POE wasn't practical. They're cheap and they work well and they use the ONVIF protocol if you're using Blue Iris or similar. They're only about 50-60 feet from my wireless router though so I can't speak to their range.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08V...amp=&sprefix=amcrest.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'd also recommend getting the highest resolution cameras you can find/afford.

Lots of the consumer cameras out there are just 720P/1080P (or lower), which is generally fine for covering a residential entryway, walkway, or garage, but is not nearly enough detail for something large like a church parking lot.

Unfortunately, I've seen facilities before that only invested in inexpensive lower resolution residential cameras for their large outdoor areas like parking lots, and when something happens out in the large area they were trying to cover, there's not enough resolution to be able to zoom in and still make out details like faces, license plates, etc.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of Ring solar cameras. The view is pretty wide angle and the infra-red is a bit hot-spotty. I advise you investigate the angle of view you need, and read reviews on the infra-red night performance to be sure whatever you buy will be suitable. For our home I am quite happy but your particular needs might dictate something different.

The solar panels are pretty low power but they have no problem keeping the batteries fully charged even in cloudy weather. I expect you will be able to make solar work just fine.

Wifi on the Ring isn't going to reach your distances without help.

Posts: 9460 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies... right now all the other cameras are 1080 which as mentioned is pretty dern good for inside and entries... but I do see the problem with zooming in in parking lot and so I might keep the higher resolution ones in mind... I need to look at the wireless bridge with directional antennas mentioned by trapper 189.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post