SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Race must be considered in determining legality of police stops and seizures, WA state Supreme Court rules
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Race must be considered in determining legality of police stops and seizures, WA state Supreme Court rules Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
Race must be considered in determining legality of police stops and seizures, WA state Supreme Court rules

quote:
By David Gutman
Seattle Times staff reporter

The Washington state Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that a person’s race, and law enforcement’s long history of discrimination against people of color, should be taken into account when determining the legality of police seizures.

The court also clarified state law to say police have seized a person if an objective observer would conclude that the person was not free to leave or refuse a request. But, the court wrote, that “objective observer” must be aware that discrimination and biases “have resulted in disproportionate police contacts, investigative seizures, and uses of force against Black, Indigenous, and other people of color.”

“Today, we formally recognize what has always been true: In interactions with law enforcement, race and ethnicity matter,” Justice Mary Yu wrote for the unanimous court. “Therefore, courts must consider the race and ethnicity of the allegedly seized person as part of the totality of the circumstances when deciding whether there was a seizure.”

More at the link. https://www.seattletimes.com/s...e-court-rules/?amp=1

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The court is legislating from the bench...again.

Race and/or ethnicity has nothing at all to do with whether or not a specific act is legal.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ no shit? Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine anything more unconstitutional.

These activist judges are full on delusional.

I find more and more reasons to thank God everyday that I was raised and live in Texas.

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well It is PNW. Do not see this catching on in Texas.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Probably not… But Illinois? Almost guaranteed! Lol

Or Michigan or New York or New Jersey or Connecticut… I could do this all day long. Lol

I think next time I’m pulled over I’m going to ask that officer on body camera how my race being calculated in his decision?

~Robert A. Heinlein

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Well, that was kinda the point.

Posts: 7263 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
“objective observer” must be aware that discrimination and biases “have resulted in disproportionate police contacts, investigative seizures, and uses of force against Black, Indigenous, and other people of color.”

"objective observer" : because people of color proportionally commit more crime

Posts: 19583 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Washington State Democrats wont be satisfied until they turn Western Washington into one large 'Chop' District. That way, Jenny's kids can live in a giant ongoing 'Lilith Fair' and have a Summer of Love year round...

Regarding race, it's not like a disproportionate race of folks commit a disproportionate amount of crime. CMON Man! All crime is committed by equal amounts of each race.

Excuse me while I pet my pink pony, eat my avocado toast while watching that gorgeous rainbow over Western Washington.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Sexual assaults no longer being investigated in the city of Seattle due to limited resources.

What did Fred Thompson say in that movie… “This shit is going to get it out of hand; fast.”

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
Why would any officer be pro-active in that environment.
I don’t think Judge Kocurek would agree with this court.
https://www.kxan.com/news/loca...d-to-life-in-prison/

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well the type of vehicle is often a good clue combined with over the top rap with a heavy bass.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That runs square into the 14th amendment. It won't last three seconds in a federal court.

They have lost their minds.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
Regarding race, it's not like a disproportionate race of folks commit a disproportionate amount of crime. CMON Man! All crime is committed by equal amounts of each race.

I am sure this will open a can of worms, but In my state anyway proportionally certain races have way more arrests and convictions than others. Can't all be because of police racism.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
If the definition of racist is, “prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group” and the definition of prejudiced is, “resulting from or having a prejudice or bias for or especially against” (emphasis added by me), pretty sure this is the definition of unconstitutional, but what do I know…

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 570 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
quote:

I am sure this will open a can of worms, but In my state anyway proportionally certain races have way more arrests and convictions than others. Can't all be because of police racism.

The last crime report I read said that 6% of the population commits over 50% of all homicides.

Go figure.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
quote:

The last crime report I read said that 6% of the population commits over 50% of all homicides.

Go figure.

I wouldn’t doubt it. Clusters appear all the time in data… I.e. 7% of the population is responsible for 40% of abortions.

~Robert A. Heinlein

I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Washington State Democrats wont be satisfied until they turn Western Washington into one large 'Chop' District. That way, Jenny's kids can live in a giant ongoing 'Lilith Fair' and have a Summer of Love year round...

Excuse me while I pet my pink pony, eat my avocado toast while watching that gorgeous rainbow over Western Washington.

-----race, it's not like a disproportionate race of folks commit a disproportionate amount of crime. CMON Man! All crime is committed by equal amounts of each race.----

45 years working in the Inner Cites has me to say you are incorrect.
Have you ever seen sneakers on the telephone/electrical overhead wires in a suburb? Needles and drug bags and used condoms in the gutters? 12 year old children running to cars paused in the middle of a street (under the sneakers) taking money from the driver; the car than drives a few houses more, stops again and another youth runs up to their car with ~what ever the money bought them --transaction complete.
And no one over 18 was even visible behind their reinforced 2nd floor apartment. I could write a book but honestly, those who govern want it this way.

A third of the buildings are dilapidated, a third by those Section 8 who can not afford to move and the balance by gangs. I feel for the good youth who are growing up corrupted by the streets.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
-----race, it's not like a disproportionate race of folks commit a disproportionate amount of crime. CMON Man! All crime is committed by equal amounts of each race.----

45 years working in the Inner Cites has me to say you are incorrect.
Lighten up Francis, he was channeling his inner FJB (biden). Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I honestly cannot fathom why all the police and other decent folks just don’t get up and leave (abandon) those “Proletarian Paradises” (aka Dem-run Big Cities), and let them all descend into their self-created anarchistic hell-holes.

Folks are going to have to decide what’s more important: property and jobs, or the lives of their families.

It’s going to eventually come down to what Kurt Schlichter has described in his books.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2700 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post