SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The great debate Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for an early 80s pickup
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The great debate Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for an early 80s pickup Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Chevy or Dodge.
Unless it's 4X4, then any of the 3 are fine.

The twin I-beam abortion that Ford used kills it for me.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chevy, no decision. Either 2wd short box or 4wd long box, both fleet side. The only body style I like the looks of in 2 tone. If you're southern US, rust shouldn't be an issue and a 4spd solves the weak auto trans.

Like the 65/66 & 67/68 bodies as well. Nice trucks lifted or lowered.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2783 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Chevy or Dodge.
Unless it's 4X4, then any of the 3 are fine.

The twin I-beam abortion that Ford used kills it for me.
^^ THIS ^^

We had these at work and couldn't keep the damn front ends aligned.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I never understood the sport/flare side or whatever it is called.
I don't think it looks good. I see no added benefit smaller bed is all it seems to get you.

I don't really care if it is pretty. Just want something that has prevelant parts, and easy to work on and I can keep a spare points distributor in the shop for when N Korea drops that EMP on us I'll still be able to get around Razz

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a Chevy. Regular cab short box 4x4. I love the 73-87 body style but my hands down favorite is the prior generation, 67-72.

Posts: 2220 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Don't sell the Ford 300 ci inline 6 short. First good produce truck I ever had was a 1969 Ford F600 straight job with a 14 ft box that I bought in 1975. Ex Ryder rental truck and it was a 300 cu in 6 cyl w/manual transmission. Served me well for several years.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Definitely a Chevy. Regular cab short box 4x4. I love the 73-87 body style but my hands down favorite is the prior generation, 67-72.

Here are a couple of good ones from days gone by.

1969 C10 and 1972 El Camino

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So I know a six with manual from the mid eighties is not going to be a speed demon.
But wondering about how it would be more for torque and pulling than higher geared and higher highway speeds.
Anyone with personal experience with 84-86 ford 1/2 tons with this combo? 4wd btw.

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
In SW PA, (think rust) I've noticed that most trucks that are daily drivers over 30yrs old are Dodges.

I see ALOT of Fords 20yrs or older. Most belong to high school kids who beat the hell out of them.

I don't see a lot of Chevy's 20yrs or older.

I have nothing against any of them, I'm just adding to the conversation...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10557 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Move up a few years to the late 80s, say, '87 and up, and you can get fuel injected engines. These run much better than the electronic carburetors of the early and mid '80s.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its not a chevy but... My father had an 85? dodge regular cab, short bed with inline six and a manual transmission. It was definitely weak I don't think it would have pulled much well.

I learned to drive a stick on that thing. It didn't have power steering or synchronized gears so you had to double clutch when downshifting.

It was fun trying to turn the wheel while stopped. You had to move forward and back a little to make it easier. Good times.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
1974 Ford F250 4x4 4 speed with a 460. Yeah. Bigfoot.

Keep in mind too that while half ton trucks are handy they aren't rated for, say, 40 bags of pellet. Sure, they CAN (for short distances) but it's really not good for them.

I'd seriously look at the 70s Fords, or 80s GM 3/4 tons. I had an 85 1/2 ton Chebby and a buddy had an 84 3/4 GMC and the parts (steering suspension brakes and even cab and bed mounts) were quite a bit burlier than mine.

I like MOPAR cars, but don't care for the looks of the trucks compared to the boxy GM/ Ford.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So I know a six with manual from the mid eighties is not going to be a speed demon.
But wondering about how it would be more for torque and pulling than higher geared and higher highway speeds.
Anyone with personal experience with 84-86 ford 1/2 tons with this combo? 4wd btw.

Thanks.

I had one. Probably an '83, but I don't really remember. I-6 300 with a floor shift 4 speed, but was 3 plus granny gear, so really a 3 speed. Wasn't fast, but was a very good truck, and I did a lot of miles in it. Plenty of torque IF you kept some rpm in the motor. If you let it get too slow, it bogged. Mine was carbureted, and that didn't help. The next truck we bought was an F150 (86 or 87) with the 5.0 mustang engine and a granny gear 4 speed. Got about the same mileage as the I6, had much more torque at low end, and due to the injection, was much smoother pulling across the full power band. All in, a much nicer truck to drive.

Those I6 engines are really tough, though.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
For early 80's I'd go Chevy....and I'm not a GM guy.

Posts: 4522 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I'd get an 87 Silverado. First year for throttle body fuel injection 350 and last year for the box body style.

This. We have an '87 Suburban Silverado, was my 2nd vehicle in high school when my Mercedes was down for a transmission replacement.
Truck ran so well & now is permanently re-homed to our ranch in S TX & has been converted into an 'Avalanche' of sorts (cut the roof off the back & put a truck cab to make it a crew cab.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That would be worth a pix p250uas! Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks.

I had a 91 F-150 2wd extended cab with the 300 cubic inch 6 and a 5 speed stick. It was fuel injected, so probably more powerful than a carbureted one like you are looking at. I think that if it had a compound low first gear it would have been adequate to tow my 16' flatbed or my 14'stock trailer, loaded. But the first gear it had wasn't nearly low enough to start a load without way more clutch slipping than I was comfortable with. I traded that truck in on a 3/4 ton with a 460 and automatic transmission that got marginally worse mileage but was more than adequate to pull the loads I had.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I had a late 80s Bronco 4wd with 300 cu in 5 speed transmission bought used. Way it was geared it was terrible to tow with but I was too dumb to realize it and bought it cause it looked and ran so good. Had to use 4wd to pull a bass boat up a ramp. I sold it quick.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking at a 1985 ford f150 with the six cylinder and mannual transmission.
Wondering what kind of preformance i can expect from that combo?

Slow and steady. I personally couldn't tolerate it. I could barely tolerate my '82 Blazer's 305 V8.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be worth a pix p250uas! Wink

Best I have, since it's 8 hours away.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post