SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The great debate Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for an early 80s pickup
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The great debate Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for an early 80s pickup Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
If you were to buy an early 80s pickup would it be Chevy, Ford, or Dodge and why??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25674 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
None of them have much galvanized metal, bodies go away in a hurry under adverse conditions, so very similar from that perspective.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1877 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I see a LOT more GM pickups of that vintage around here. And it's hard to beat a GM 350 V-8. I'd try to find one new enough to have throttle body injection, though. The quadrajet carburetor in my 86 Jimmy is a pain in the ass to get to run right with ethanol fuel. The automatic transmissions in half-ton GM pickups is kind of a weak point, too. The 3/4 ton pickups were a lot more durable.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Tomato tomahto.

If I had my druthers though I buy the Ford. I just like 'em.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats the looks of the square body Chevy trucks from that period. I'll take a 4x4 step side Cool

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see a LOT more GM pickups of that vintage around here. And it's hard to beat a GM 350 V-8.

That.... and they look cool.

But;... like stiab said, rust is going to be a big problem for anything of that era.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd get an 87 Silverado. First year for throttle body fuel injection 350 and last year for the box body style.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd get a Dodge. They readily accept the 440 engine.

I have owned/own Ford, Chevy and Dodges from the late 70's to late 90's. I think it really comes down to what is available/popular in your area and what you think looks better. Working on them is all about the same.

Posts: 889 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
A new 88 K5 blazer was the last Chevrolet I owned. The gas mileage went from 19 to 12 and stayed there. At 40,000 miles I'd replaced the electric fuel pump, the door and tail gate electric windows had quit working, the window switches were falling apart and the paint job went flat. It wouldn't pull an 18' bass boat worth a darn. I'd go with a Ford.

Posts: 6592 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I would pick a Ford with the straight six. I owned one and it was a good truck.

Posts: 3247 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Always wanted a vehicle from my birth year.
Kind of digging this one. Don't have any clue yet on pricing of these. Need to do a bunch more reading.
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/29682113

Would be used to cart me around town and hauling stuff in the spring and summer time.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Toss up between the Chevy and Ford

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Chevy.

I'm off by a year but here is my 79.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go against the grain. I've always like the Ford F150s from that era. Never liked the looks of the Chevy's then. But I'd go for the first year of the lightning which would be later obviously.......

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Normally, I prefer Fords, but going back that far time wise, it's going to depend far more on what type of life the truck has led and how well it has been taken care of.

Posts: 947 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am looking at a 1985 ford f150 with the six cylinder and mannual transmission.
Wondering what kind of preformance i can expect from that combo?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Not really dead set on the 80s.
Kind of digging the look of the early 60s Chevys.

————————————————

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am looking at a 1985 ford f150 with the six cylinder and mannual transmission.
Wondering what kind of preformance i can expect from that combo?

Leisurely

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Leisurely

Lol!
Ya, probably not a heavy hauler, but prob. decent gas mileage for the era.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24583 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Leisurely

Lol!
Ya, probably not a heavy hauler, but prob. decent gas mileage for the era.
Big Grin
12?

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post