SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quitting Smoking.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quitting Smoking. Login/Join 
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted
I quit ten years ago today. You can do it too. I've looked forward to every milestone. I day, one week, one month, three months, 6 months, year, five years and ten years. The half year point comes on Christmas Eve. I still have my last pack of smokes in my top desk drawer. It still has six cigarettes in it.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Good Work! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
My wife quit (fortunately before we started dating, otherwise we may never have married). It was work for her, and she sometimes has triggers.

I'm a recovering alcoholic (about 20Y sober), so I understand how compelling an addiction can be.

Great job! One day at a time. You don't have to quit for the rest of your life. You only have to quit today.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15 years ago (???) I switched to vaping for about 3 months and never looked back. FYI, doing the vape thing I noticed immediate health benefits on day one. My checkbook got much healthier on day one too Big Grin That approach may not work for some but it made my journey to health pain free.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I quit ten years ago today.

Nice job, man!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Bravo!

November 24, it will be 41 years since I quit a 3- to 4-pack/day habit.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Good for you! I quit a 2-3 pack a day habit in 1996.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
I quit last November. Oddly enough, I don't remember the exact date. It certainly wasn't my first attempt (and I'm only 7 months in) but my experience was that once I decided I truly wanted to quit, it wasn't all that bad.

I used the Vuse for a couple months but my lungs didn't like it, so thankfully that was short lived. That product did exactly what I needed it to do.

Congrats and thanks for the post. I hope I refrain for as long as you have.

Posts: 743 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

November 24, it will be 41 years since I quit a 3- to 4-pack/day habit.
39 years for me, this coming November, but I was using about one pack / day. They were $1.75 / pack at the time, closer to $8.00 today. I can't imagine spending almost $250 / month for that poison.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I quit on my 40th birthday, Jun 29th, 1985. 5 days shy of 38 years ago. Many sig forum members will remember a 5 pack of cigarettes in every c ration.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4268 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I quit April 2nd of 71. Good for all of you who have quit.

Posts: 5622 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I applaud you decision 10 years ago. I've never smoked but lived with 2 parents who did for my first 22 years. I grew to hate everything associated with it.

I'm sure it was not an easy decision to make and uphold, and you should be reaping the benefits from doing so. Good for you!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My parents both smoked and quit. All of my grandparents smoked and quit. My paternal grandmother quit in her late 80s / early 90s and she had been smoking nearly 70 years.

My paternal grandparents were the reason I never smoked a single one.
  • Grandma was 4 or 5 packs a day, and she smoked indoors. We watched the yellow cigarette stain move down the white walls year after year. They lived in that apartment for 20 years and never let them paint. By the end, the yellow stain had reached the floor and we'd move a picture hung on the wall when they weren't looking to see the actual wall color.
  • They also smoked in the car with the windows rolled up and liked to go for hour long drives in the country with my brother and I in the back.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Short. Fat. Bald.
    Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
    posted Hide Post
    October 29th, 2000. Never really liked it, but it was the only way to get a break in the Army...

Posts: 1988 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Don't recall the exact date, but getting cancer was a huge motivator.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of mcrimm
    posted Hide Post
    December 24, 1973 while walking off the deck of the USS Truxton, DLGN-35 coming back from WestPac. The Camels and the Zippo hit the drink. Nothing since - and don't miss it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
    When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cynic
    Picture of charlie12
    posted Hide Post
    I stopped cold turkey in 1985

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    23 years for me. It took a year or two to stop
    having cravings.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Schmelby:
    23 years for me. It took a year or two to stop
    having cravings.

Shit, I still have the occasional craving.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    It'll be 13 years for me this Thanksgiving, stopped cold. First few weeks were really rough and I still occasionally have dreams where I'll randomly be a smoker again, but it was worth it.

Posts: 17151 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post