SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New roof with ridge vent?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New roof with ridge vent? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
I got an estimate for new roof from reputable local roofing company and quote looks good. Our house was built in 1993 and this is the first roof replacement. They want to install a ridge vent for ventilation and it is not an option with them because they say it is needed for their 12 year parts and labor no leak warranty. I am fine with that but have not had a home with a ridge vent before and don't see many around here. Right now we have soffit vents, gable vent on each end, and about 6 small square vents near roof line. The square vents would be patched over and the gable vents closed off leaving ridge vent and soffit vents. Shingles would be Certainteed Landmark and ridge vent would be Certainteed also.

Just wondering what experiences anyone has had with ridge vents on their roof, particularly any problems with it if any. Thanks for sharing any experiences.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1/2 of this I can comment positively on, the other is partially controversial. Ridge vent are fine assuming adequate soffit vents to move enough air. Where I live it would be extraordinary to see a modern roof installed without on. There seem to be some disagreements on what do to with existing gable vents. My vote is to leave them open. hot air rises and the more air you feed the system the better. But if your contractor's warranty is dependent on a certain configuration I think you have to go with that and rely on that...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
1/2 of this I can comment positively on, the other is partially controversial. Ridge vent are fine assuming adequate soffit vents to move enough air. Where I live it would be extraordinary to see a modern roof installed without on. There seem to be some disagreements on what do to with existing gable vents. My vote is to leave them open. hot air rises and the more air you feed the system the better. But if your contractor's warranty is dependent on a certain configuration I think you have to go with that and rely on that...

Thanks, this is very helpful info. I would definitely ask them to check that we have adequate soffit ventilation but I think we do. I have read opinions on both sides of the debate about closing off gable vents too.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Have them do a calculation for the ridge vent and the gable vent cubic feet of air flow.

The insulation in my house was covering the soffit vents in most places. I installed the rafter vents that you just staple in place to keep the insulation from blocking the soffit vents.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ADO-P...Rafter-Vents/3201849

I added the Pink Panther fiberglass insulation in a plastic wrapper which gave me about 24 inches of insulation. Since the insulation is in a plastic wrapper, I can move it to get to the attic TV antenna if necessary.

I calculated the cubic feet of attic space and used 9 inch Rotron fans in the three port holes located on the top back side of the roof.

The objective is exchange the attic air every 30 minutes. A thermostat controls the fans which draw .25 amps each when the temperature rises above 90 degrees.

Edited to add on what they are trying to do. With only the ridge and soffit vents, the air has only one way to go.

If the port hole and end wall vent is left in place, you would have the air flow confused so to say and the flow would be disrupted. With a breeze blowing, it would work good but on a still hot day, I would want the fans.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've had a ridge vent for years now and zero problems. I also have the gable vents and as others have said, they are important.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Ridge vents work well on a gable roof. Don't work well at all on a hip roof, at least in our instance. We had ridge vents installed on our hip roof and removed the "whirly birds". The heat in the attic increased with the ridge vents and ended up putting the whirly birds (four of them) back on.

Craig

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've been reading, their method sounds spot on using ridge the ridge vent, soffit vents, and blocking off the gable vents.

Posts: 2366 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My house was built in 2003. It originally had the square roof vents. The shingles were replaced in 2009 and they installed a ridge vent. I've had no issues with it at all.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I've had a ridge vent for years now and zero problems. I also have the gable vents and as others have said, they are important.

Same here! Had a new roof done several years ago due to storm damage. We only have vents on each end of the house. The ridge vent works just fine.

We have a second house which has the ridge vents as well as electric fans to help air flow when the temperature in the attic gets to high. Both work well given the house designs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a production manager for a large exteriors company - windows, siding, and roofing. My crews install ridge vent on most of our roofs, unless a customer specifically requests keeping box vents. On hip roofs with very little ridge line, we'll add/replace an appropriate number of box vents, as well. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyways. Make sure the roofers actually cut a strip of plywood away at either side of the ridge, so the air can get to the vents. Sadly, I've actually seen roofs with ridge vent applied over the plywood!

Some manufactures do recommend eliminating/blocking additional venting sources other than the intake at the soffit, and exhaust at the ridge due to the possibility of messing up the drafting air flow that is supposed to go straight up thru the rafter/truss spaces. I wouldn't be worried about them blocking off the gable vents as long as you have an all gable roof with fully vented ridge.

As previously mentioned, it's critically essential to have adequate air supply at the soffit to balance the exhaust. Do you have perforated aluminum/vinyl soffit at all your eaves? If you have wood or other materials for soffit, calculate your intake opening space carefully. The round metal intake vents are usually inadequate. Do you have "proper vents" chutes in the spaces between the rafters/trusses to allow the intake air to get over your wall top plates? Many times, when attic spaces get insulated, that area gets blocked off by the insulation. Verifying/correcting this and also ensuring that you have plenty of attic insulation are also crucial factors of preventing ice dams, but are your responsibility from inside the attic, not the roofer's. All of this is necessary to prevent damage to the roof by cooking, and also ice dams. Speaking of ice dams, I'm a big fan of 2 courses of ice and water shield at eaves and valleys; larger ice dams can push water higher up the roof than one 3' course can protect against. You'll likely pay a little more, but it's worth it. Good quality ice and water shield is usually $60-$90 per 67' long roll, FYI.

Additionally, carefully read the fine print of the Certainteed warranty. They likely require that a minimum number of Certainteed-branded products are installed in conjunction with the shingles. Certainteed starter (NOT flipped 3-tabs), Certainteed ice and water shield, Certainteed synthetic underlayment, etc. Many times, the ridge vent only counts as one of the required components IF you use the same brand of intake vents (Certainteed makes one). Obviously, all of the other best practices are required too; recommended number of nails per shingle (more on steeper pitches), nails all applied in the nailing strip, not too high/low, minimum spacing between the sheets of plywood sheeting (sometimes H-clips are required), etc.

I'm not trying to obsess over the details, I'm just pointing out some nuances that many roofers overlook. Get everything in writing, and make sure whoever is responsible for registering your roof system for warranty does so on time, with the proper documentation. Does Certainteed require a listed/approved/certified installer does the work for their warranty to be valid? If so, they're likely required to provide proof of Certainteed products and register the warranty for you within 30 or sometimes 60 days of installation. Request a copy of the manufacturer warranty registration, and also the material delivery packing slip for your records, to prove the required products were used.

If your roofer can confidently answer these questions, and meet the requirements, you've likely got a winner. If he looks at you like you're being a demanding customer, he may very well be a good roofer that does excellent work, but either 1) doesn't know what he doesn't know and hopefully appreciates the guidance in being better than his competition, or 2) wants to bang out your job to collect money and move on.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Ridge vents are the best and at least here in Texas the only way to go.
Very effective, especially in heat months but also work in cold but primarily for heat scenarios.

Posts: 22905 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
WOW, thanks for all the replies and extremely helpful. Sounds like ridge vents are the way to go as long as there is adequate soffit venting with the multiple long rectangular aluminum vents we have. Builder did put in rafter vents so that insulation would not block off airflow from soffit vents. Per contract it looks like installer will do ridge vent correctly.

Part of the contract about the roofing but not all, the rest is about chimney flashing etc.

● Pull any required permit & schedule all inspections before work is started
There is no extra charge if a permit is needed, installer takes care of the cost. Installer will pick up and drop off the permit, it is the homeowner's responsibility to put it in a window/door
that faces the street.
● Strip off 29.02 SQ 1 layer of existing shingles
This process includes stripping off all roofing material including: shingles, felt, ice & water shield, television
antennas, satellite dishes, old chimney flashings, accessible baby tins, etc. off the deck surface. Caution will be
taken to protect the buildings landscaping by using tarps and plywood , heat exhaustion can happen to
plants that are under tarps/plywood during the summer months. If additional layers are found it will be an extra
charge of $20.00 per square.
● Prepare the existing deck for roof installation
This process includes inspecting the existing decking surface and nailing down all fasteners. If any wood is found
to be moldy, warped, or rotted it will be replaced at an additional cost of $45.00 per 4x8 sheet and/or $4LF of
pine plank
● Install 1,794 SF Ice & Water shield to local code
Winterguard Ice & water shield is installed a minimum of 24” past the interior drywall line & 72” from the edge of
the roof & in all valleys to protect against Ice dam related water damage. It is installed around any skylights
and/or chimneys as well.
● Install CertainTeed Diamond Deck premium synthetic underlayment
Diamond Deck® High Performance Synthetic Underlayment is manufactured to provide best-in-class performance
in weather protection. It is a synthetic, scrim-reinforced, water-resistant underlayment that is used beneath the
shingles. It has exceptional dimensional stability compared to standard felt underlayment.
● Install starter shingles on all eaves and rakes
These are installed on all perimeters b/c in combination with the nails used, it will get the homeowner a 130 MPH
Wind Warranty .
● Install 33.33 SQ Architectural grade shingle
During shingle installation Shingles will be nailed with 5 -1 ¼” ring shank galvanized nails per shingle as
recommended by the manufacturers and installed in a stair step fashion. Satellite dishes and Television antennas
can be re-installed at this time or disposed of by request. We do not guarantee any reception after re-installation.
Installer is NOT responsible for any damage to the driveway caused by the material delivery
truck.
● Install 105 LF ridge cap shingles
Ridge cap shingles are installed at the ridge portion of the roof. Any exposed fasteners will be sealed with a 50
yr. Neoprene sealant .
● Install new attic ventilation
❑ Ridge Vent: 105 LF
To ensure proper ventilation, a new ridge vent system will be installed by cutting the ridge for a ventilation opening
then installing Air Vent Inc . Shingle vent II baffled ridge vents. After installation, vents will be shingled over with
matching ridge cap shingles. Old ventilation system will be closed off w/ wood and/or metal. An alternative
ventilation system may be chosen for your roof, depending on the size of your attic and style of roof.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
I'm a production manager for a large exteriors company - windows, siding, and roofing. My crews install ridge vent on most of our roofs, unless a customer specifically requests keeping box vents. On hip roofs with very little ridge line, we'll add/replace an appropriate number of box vents, as well. It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyways. Make sure the roofers actually cut a strip of plywood away at either side of the ridge, so the air can get to the vents. Sadly, I've actually seen roofs with ridge vent applied over the plywood!

Some manufactures do recommend eliminating/blocking additional venting sources other than the intake at the soffit, and exhaust at the ridge due to the possibility of messing up the drafting air flow that is supposed to go straight up thru the rafter/truss spaces. I wouldn't be worried about them blocking off the gable vents as long as you have an all gable roof with fully vented ridge.

As previously mentioned, it's critically essential to have adequate air supply at the soffit to balance the exhaust. Do you have perforated aluminum/vinyl soffit at all your eaves? If you have wood or other materials for soffit, calculate your intake opening space carefully. The round metal intake vents are usually inadequate. Do you have "proper vents" chutes in the spaces between the rafters/trusses to allow the intake air to get over your wall top plates? Many times, when attic spaces get insulated, that area gets blocked off by the insulation. Verifying/correcting this and also ensuring that you have plenty of attic insulation are also crucial factors of preventing ice dams, but are your responsibility from inside the attic, not the roofer's. All of this is necessary to prevent damage to the roof by cooking, and also ice dams. Speaking of ice dams, I'm a big fan of 2 courses of ice and water shield at eaves and valleys; larger ice dams can push water higher up the roof than one 3' course can protect against. You'll likely pay a little more, but it's worth it. Good quality ice and water shield is usually $60-$90 per 67' long roll, FYI.

Additionally, carefully read the fine print of the Certainteed warranty. They likely require that a minimum number of Certainteed-branded products are installed in conjunction with the shingles. Certainteed starter (NOT flipped 3-tabs), Certainteed ice and water shield, Certainteed synthetic underlayment, etc. Many times, the ridge vent only counts as one of the required components IF you use the same brand of intake vents (Certainteed makes one). Obviously, all of the other best practices are required too; recommended number of nails per shingle (more on steeper pitches), nails all applied in the nailing strip, not too high/low, minimum spacing between the sheets of plywood sheeting (sometimes H-clips are required), etc.

I'm not trying to obsess over the details, I'm just pointing out some nuances that many roofers overlook. Get everything in writing, and make sure whoever is responsible for registering your roof system for warranty does so on time, with the proper documentation. Does Certainteed require a listed/approved/certified installer does the work for their warranty to be valid? If so, they're likely required to provide proof of Certainteed products and register the warranty for you within 30 or sometimes 60 days of installation. Request a copy of the manufacturer warranty registration, and also the material delivery packing slip for your records, to prove the required products were used.

If your roofer can confidently answer these questions, and meet the requirements, you've likely got a winner. If he looks at you like you're being a demanding customer, he may very well be a good roofer that does excellent work, but either 1) doesn't know what he doesn't know and hopefully appreciates the guidance in being better than his competition, or 2) wants to bang out your job to collect money and move on.

Thanks a bunch for the very detailed reply Outnumbered from an industry professional. Smile Extremely helpful and much appreciated. !

posted Hide Post
My pleasure. It's the least I can do here, especially given the tremendous amount of knowledge I've gained from experts in other fields that I needed help with!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I am not a roofing expert and am only speaking from personal experience. There has already been some great info posted.

I had ridge vents installed in 2012 with a new roof. No problems. No leaks, etc.

WARNING here: When they cut the roof for the venting, that sawdust, pieces of shingle, etc. gets EVERYWHERE on the roof floor and in my case, the garage. I was cleaning up that crap for months in all the places it settled into. My suggestion is if your garage is not sealed, cover or move things out.

On hot days you can see the heat shimmering at the vents as the heat escapes. But my vents are a passive, no added exhausting fans, etc. Covering the soffits and end gable vents seems strange to me as they help in air movement.

I believe the ridge vents help but our house is still hot inside. Had the insulation people come out for an estimate and they said insulation is fine and don't need to replace/repair. So as an example, inside house temp might be 75 at night when outside air temp is say 60 or 65.

Solution to cooling inside temp down is a 'Whole house fan' which wife won't go for since we plan on moving in next few years. So instead, I am going to do some solar roof vents to draw more hot air out. It's more affordable and can be done when wife's at work and she will probably never know they are there on roof.

Good luck and look forward to your follow up post after installation.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If ridge vents installed, best to remove and seal whirlybird or other vents. Venting could become less effective as air will be drawn in , not out, through old vents and out through ridge vents as ridge vents are higher in structure. This circular pattern will result in less air being drawn in through soffit vents.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I am not a roofing expert and am only speaking from personal experience. There has already been some great info posted.

I had ridge vents installed in 2012 with a new roof. No problems. No leaks, etc.

WARNING here: When they cut the roof for the venting, that sawdust, pieces of shingle, etc. gets EVERYWHERE on the roof floor and in my case, the garage. I was cleaning up that crap for months in all the places it settled into. My suggestion is if your garage is not sealed, cover or move things out.

On hot days you can see the heat shimmering at the vents as the heat escapes. But my vents are a passive, no added exhausting fans, etc. Covering the soffits and end gable vents seems strange to me as they help in air movement.

I believe the ridge vents help but our house is still hot inside. Had the insulation people come out for an estimate and they said insulation is fine and don't need to replace/repair. So as an example, inside house temp might be 75 at night when outside air temp is say 60 or 65.

Solution to cooling inside temp down is a 'Whole house fan' which wife won't go for since we plan on moving in next few years. So instead, I am going to do some solar roof vents to draw more hot air out. It's more affordable and can be done when wife's at work and she will probably never know they are there on roof.

Good luck and look forward to your follow up post after installation.

Thanks For the heads up on the mess. Garage ceiling is drywalled off with attic access. They will not cover soffit vents, just gable (possibly) and existing roof vents. I will probably go into both attics when done and try to clean up mess I can best with my hands (wearing gloves) and dustbuster LOL. Due to a lot of rain in the spring the install will most likely happen in October but I expected that.