SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Spare tires have a shelf life. Who knew?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spare tires have a shelf life. Who knew? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:

On our coach <snip> we put on a set of eight tires.
I'm trying to visualize an RV that would use eight tires, and I'm drawing a blank.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
V tail, a lot of those coaches you see that look like they have tandem axles at the rear only have dual wheels on one axle and a single wheel on the other.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm trying to visualize an RV that would use eight tires, and I'm drawing a blank.

Two single steer tires, four dual drive tires, and two single tag axle tires.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t remember the tag axle name.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:

V tail, a lot of those coaches you see that look like they have tandem axles at the rear only have dual wheels on one axle and a single wheel on the other.
Ah, I did not realize that. I thought that both rear axles carried dual wheels.

Learn something new every day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
I figured it a good idea to get a new spare tire for the boat trailer. Before dragging it seven hours to Thousand Islands, NY

Talking with my brother we figured the spare was likely original and over 30 years old. Still held air and looked good though. Regardless it is comforting to know I've got a new spare at the ready if needed.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm having sticker shock looking at the prices and availability of new tires for my Motorhomes 295x75x22.5 required tire size.
I now have Michelins mounted with about 1500 miles on them.They are now approaching 8 years old and have timed out.
Its painful replacing tires that cost about $500 x 6, 7 years ago ( not including mounting and shop fees) and show no wear, especially since new tires will cost at least $500+ each.

Painful yes but I personally know people with coaches who lost one of their steering tires they both lived to tell about it but totaled both $500k+ coaches. I’ve had Michelin, Goodyear, and Yokohama tires, all of them good. The Yokohamas had one flaw the out gassing smell resembled cat piss. Not bad while going down the road but horrible when sitting out with a happy hour group.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

On our coach <snip> we put on a set of eight tires.

This was my set up for 9 years full timing.
2 steer, 4 on drive axle, 2 on tag axle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I removed the wheel locks from my Wrangler as the key was looking kind of sketchy, we’ll until I got to the spare and the key broke. So off to a chain tire store to see if they had a master set.

The salesman came out, looked at the lock and told me that he did not have a master key to fit it and he could not remove it. He then looks at the date code and he said to me that my spare tire had aged out and I should replace it right away as it was not safe to use. He also noted that the tread pattern was different (good observation there Captain Obvious) and he could match the KO2’s on there as they were in stock.

I asked him politely “If you can’t get the lock off how are you going to replace that tire?”

I left!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yup.

My minty old spare tire was made in 2003 by Goodyear and had a decent treadwear rating.

The new spare has twice the rating and was only $60 on sale.

Not for a doughnut, but a 20" spare.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm having sticker shock looking at the prices and availability of new tires for my Motorhomes 295x75x22.5 required tire size.
I now have Michelins mounted with about 1500 miles on them.They are now approaching 8 years old and have timed out.
Its painful replacing tires that cost about $500 x 6, 7 years ago ( not including mounting and shop fees) and show no wear, especially since new tires will cost at least $500+ each.

Painful yes but I personally know people with coaches who lost one of their steering tires they both lived to tell about it but totaled both $500k+ coaches. I’ve had Michelin, Goodyear, and Yokohama tires, all of them good. The Yokohamas had one flaw the out gassing smell resembled cat piss. Not bad while going down the road but horrible when sitting out with a happy hour group.

When I replace my timed out Michelins it wont be with Michelins again. Just about every blow out I have read about came from Michelin steer tires blowing out.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I removed the wheel locks from my Wrangler as the key was looking kind of sketchy, we’ll until I got to the spare and the key broke. So off to a chain tire store to see if they had a master set.

The salesman came out, looked at the lock and told me that he did not have a master key to fit it and he could not remove it. He then looks at the date code and he said to me that my spare tire had aged out and I should replace it right away as it was not safe to use. He also noted that the tread pattern was different (good observation there Captain Obvious) and he could match the KO2’s on there as they were in stock.

I asked him politely “If you can’t get the lock off how are you going to replace that tire?”

I left!

I bought a new Recon that there was no spare lock key.
How I got it off. Went to harbor freight bought a cheap socket set. I hammered a socket on the lock. It worked.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ