SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another sock discussion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another sock discussion Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
I know darn tough is woke AF and smart wool too, I think.

Has anyone tried hollow socks brand? They ar alpaca and supposedly better than wool. They are marketed as hunting and outdoor socks so maybe they don’t have their head up their ass yet.

So any experience with alpaca, hollow sock bRand or any other wool or other material? Would love to find some that last, affordable, everyday wear year round?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7963 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I discovered these Wrangler boot socks and they are all I wear now for casual socks.

Amazon - Wrangler Men's Western Boot Socks

They are not made out of any special material. But they are comfortable and they stay up. That is all that I ask.

Not that you asked, but Boardroom Socks are made in the U.S.A. and they have wool socks:

Boardroom Socks

I personally find wool irritating. But they also have cotton dress socks.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I use Carhartt socks

Posts: 534 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wrangler boot socks for me too, with boots. Too thick for regular shoes for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15373 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll echo the wranglers. No wool in them, but I find them comfortable in all seasons and they are durable. They are high socks though. Some people hate that.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I wear these Cabela’s Wool Blend socks all year round. They are made in the USA a nice mid weight and very comfortable boot sock.
At $5 a pair they really can’t be beat. I probably have 20 pair or so.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/e...-for-men-4-pair-pack

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25443 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SUPRISE!
Www.Thorlo.com
I have 25 pr.

Wearing their hiker socks for 25 years.
Follow the instructions and guide lines.

Easy to get five years out of them

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54694 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn Tough and Smartwool are big brands that, like many companies we've seen, are subject to the urges of weak and compliant executives that have bowed to the woke zeitgeist. That said, I know personally there's a number of solid, red-blooded Americans working there, and they do support our military with programs supporting their dealers who work directly with our serviceman. That said, you're free to spend your hard earned money where you will, as such, consider these brands-

House-brand Merino wool socks from Costco and Cabela's I've heard good things about, if anything, just from a pure value perspective.
Point6
Farm to Feet
ThorLo, Bridgedale and Wigwam are long-time classics, I think they're a bit dated but, that doesn't mean they're bad socks.
Fox River
One of my favorite brands, that isn't as well known here in the US as it is in Europe is Lorpen. They're from Spain, all the socks I've had from them are super-solid.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wool rich brand are very comfortable and wear well. I think they might still be made in the USA too

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I vote with my wallet as much as I can but in this case I just can't bring myself to purchase any other sock than darn tough. Politics be damned they are the best sock out there. Second place isn't even close.
Most of their virtue signaling is just to get the granola hippies money anyway.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I vote with my wallet as much as I can but in this case I just can't bring myself to purchase any other sock than darn tough. Politics be damned they are the best sock out there. Second place isn't even close.

This is my position with Darn Tough.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9698 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear the same Cabelas socks that Black92LX posted about. Wear like iron and priced right.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

This is my position with Darn Tough.

I have nine pair of Darn Tough wool socks that I bought all at the same time about 6 or 7 years ago. I wear them every day in the Winter & have yet to wear a pair out.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
For Alpaca socks, the shop I coach out sells Altera. I've got a couple pairs of their Prevail socks and I've been happy with them. So 2000Z-71's Alaska based sock endorsement for what it's worth.

https://alteraalpaca.com

There's also Buffalo wool. They are expensive but they are nice. They usually have a booth set upas the Alaska State Fair and their fair specials are a lot less expensive than what they offer online.

https://thebuffalowoolco.com/collections/rtw-socks

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11781 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Surplus Darn Tough XL 2 pack un-used

This way they won’t get your money.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post