SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joined Costco yesterday
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined Costco yesterday Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I know you won’t believe me and it was so long ago I don’t think I have proof, but I made it out of the store once for less than $100.

For tips, here you go Smile

- check pricing on any prescriptions you take, Costco was cheaper for me.
- only buy toilet paper and paper towels on sale. It is pretty much every other month.
- check the sale catalogs religiously and note you get them 1-2 weeks before the items are actually on sale.
- if you like Facebook, follow Costco for new items.
- the hotdog and a drink for $1.50 is awesome.
- if you change your own oil, it is often on sale for a great price every few months. I buy several cases at a time.
- premium air filters are also on sale every few months.
- steak and meat in general is top notch
- Kirkland brand is some good stuff.

Enjoy!

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my results very ,drastically

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
After having been a member of Sam’s Club for nearly 16 years, decided it was time to give it up for Costco. Wanted to years ago but Sam’s was so much closer and more convenient.

Last year, V-Tail brought me to Costco to have a look around and saw their products are probably more along with what we look for now. They seem to have more organic products than Sam’s. Plus the Walmart stance on ammo irked me and those are the same company.

First impressions as a member is that the place is cleaner, people working there are friendlier and we hear more English spoken than Spanish LoL One thing of note was how fast we managed to check out. They had the cashier plus someone helping out the items on the belt trying to get you checked out faster. Stopped at the snack bar and they had some of the automated kiosks. There was even a nice young lady there to help with those and they had 4-5 people getting orders ready. Huge contrast to Sam’s where the cashier is usually also the person getting the food.

I did the $120 membership. I enjoyed my visit yesterday and am glad with the decision so far

Question for you more experienced shoppers with Sam’s and Costco: are their house brands pretty similar?

120 seems like a lot of money for a membership, I thought memberships were 50 or 60 bucks a year. What exactly does 120 dollar membership get you?

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
After having been a member of Sam’s Club for nearly 16 years, decided it was time to give it up for Costco. Wanted to years ago but Sam’s was so much closer and more convenient.

Last year, V-Tail brought me to Costco to have a look around and saw their products are probably more along with what we look for now. They seem to have more organic products than Sam’s. Plus the Walmart stance on ammo irked me and those are the same company.

First impressions as a member is that the place is cleaner, people working there are friendlier and we hear more English spoken than Spanish LoL One thing of note was how fast we managed to check out. They had the cashier plus someone helping out the items on the belt trying to get you checked out faster. Stopped at the snack bar and they had some of the automated kiosks. There was even a nice young lady there to help with those and they had 4-5 people getting orders ready. Huge contrast to Sam’s where the cashier is usually also the person getting the food.

I did the $120 membership. I enjoyed my visit yesterday and am glad with the decision so far

Question for you more experienced shoppers with Sam’s and Costco: are their house brands pretty similar?

120 seems like a lot of money for a membership, I thought memberships were 50 or 60 bucks a year. What exactly does 120 dollar membership get you?

The $120.00 "Executive" membership gets you 2% back on all of your purchases at the end of the year. They send you a voucher for your rebate that can only be applied in store.

This year my voucher was $50.00, but I am buying more at Costco.com which also helps toward my rebate.

I buy my toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, peanut butter, mixed nuts, and other non-perishable groceries using the 2-day grocery option on Costco.com. For a $75.00 purchase or more there is free shipping right to my door. This also helps me escape going to Costco where I may be tempted to buy items not on my list of things to pick up.

The Cuisinart coffee maker that Costco sells is fantastic.

My nearest Costco is an hour away so buy using their online service I save time and fuel, but we still go to the Costco quarterly to pick up some salmon and other items we can't get online.

Costco also has a 1-day grocery service for some items if you live close enough.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:

quote:
The $120.00 "Executive" membership gets you 2% back on all of your purchases at the end of the year. They send you a voucher for your rebate that can only be applied in store.

I've taken the voucher to the C/S desk and received a cash card (for use at gas pump) or, redeemed and gotten cash back.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
I know you won’t believe me and it was so long ago I don’t think I have proof, but I made it out of the store once for less than $100.

I did it yesterday, picked up a script for $11, total costco bill, $98! woo hoo!

Posts: 23481 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

quote:

I've taken the voucher to the C/S desk and received a cash card (for use at gas pump) or, redeemed and gotten cash back.

Thank you. I didn't realize the voucher could be turned in at customer service. I always pay my membership online when it is due, and then have taken the voucher and used at the checkout stand. Of course when I actually go to Costco I usually end up spending about $350.00 but everything purchased (well most everything) is on my shopping list.

I usually spend around $100-$150 per month getting the 2-day groceries/household goods online with Costco.com

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Executive level membership is definitely worth it.

We paid $125 the first year for the executive membership. The next year, we got a check for $110, so the renewal cost us $15 for the second year. Every year since then, the check has more than covered the renewal. We've been members for at least 10 years now.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you. I didn't realize the voucher could be turned in at customer service. I always pay my membership online when it is due, and then have taken the voucher and used at the checkout stand. Of course when I actually go to Costco I usually end up spending about $350.00 but everything purchased (well most everything) is on my shopping list.

I usually spend around $100-$150 per month getting the 2-day groceries/household goods online with Costco.com

The strategy of course is to get you to spend it, right there. Just go up to the counter and either ask for the amount to be put on a cash card or, for cash back.
There's been a couple of years where a couple of high-dollar purchases pushed my dividend higher than avg. I would either get the remaining balance in cash when checking-out or, just cash return entirely at the service desk. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm going to buy each visit so, my spending is under control. I gotta say, some of their snack items have been really good lately: Coconut Roll cookies, the Kilimanjaro chocolate-nut mix from Prana, Coastal Berry trail mix, toasted coconut snaps, all solid.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Welcome to the 200 dollar store!
The only way to get out under $200 is to not get a cart. Sometimes that doesn't even work. Wink

This. Smile

I even joke with the cashiers that their registers must be programmed to start at $100. Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6416 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I may start referring to Costco as My Friendly Neighborhood Crack House.

Gotcha hooked and drinking the koolaid.

I love Costco.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:

Haven't had that happen yet. It was close one time, but then I went into the liquor store and they had some small batch Bookers. Big Grin

We splurged this weekend and picked up a couple of prime NY strips. Grilled them last night. They were awesome.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Between the 2% back on the Exec membership and the 4% back on the Citi card for in-club purchases (and the 2% outside the club) we'll more than cover the $120 membership fee and then some.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I go just about every two months and spend around $400... I think my only real complaint is we had to buy a bigger freezer when we became members....

did not know about their firearms policy... no sign on the door and who reads the membership rules.... personally I'll just ignore that.... lawyering.

Yep, those pickles are great and they are not hot just a tad spicy.... just be careful taking that big jar out of the frig...... took me an hour to clean up the mess.

as for the person who got their items counted at the door.... there is no way the door person can count our items.... still can't quite figure out what the logic behind putting a check on your receipt is... I think it has something to do with returns and you have to go all the way out side before you can return an item.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I recently signed up for a membership with a Groupon deal. $60 and you receive a $20 store voucher and coupons for about $40 worth of merchandise. Not a discount on these items, but 100% free. Paper towels etc. Seems like a pretty good incentive.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post