SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What version of a Speed Queen do I want?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
What version of a Speed Queen do I want? Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
Remodel time in my home. Replacing a clothes washing machine with a Speed Queen. BUUUUUTTTTTTT Which one do I want

Ive heard the TC series will beat up your clothes but will clean them better.

The TR series is gentler on clothes but might not do as good of job cleaning them.

I do have very high water bills here in Columbus so I guess that is also a consideration also I know the TC will fill the entire tub if needed.



I guess the TR3 and TC3 is the model I'm looking at.

Anyone with opinions?


"da evil Count Glockula."-Para
 
Posts: 8030 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We just bought a TR7 as it wasn't really that much more than the TR5, and has two more years of warranty. Happy so far after a week.




 
Posts: 11493 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Ive heard the TC series will beat up your clothes but will clean them better.



That hasn't been my experience at all. It does get them cleaner than my earlier high efficiency front loaders did, but it hasn't torn any of my stuff up.

However, it does have a somewhat smaller capacity, compared to the capacity of the average machine these days. So perhaps the folks reporting this are trying to cram too large of loads into their newer smaller washer, thus not allowing the manual agitator enough room to move without roughing up their clothes?

Keep in mind that up until 10-20 years ago, just about every washing machine had a manual agitator. And yet folks didn't complain about them constantly beating up their clothes.
 
Posts: 35518 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Remodel time in my home. Replacing a clothes washing machine with a Speed Queen. BUUUUUTTTTTTT Which one do I want

Ive heard the TC series will beat up your clothes but will clean them better.

The TR series is gentler on clothes but might not do as good of job cleaning them.

I do have very high water bills here in Columbus so I guess that is also a consideration also I know the TC will fill the entire tub if needed.



I guess the TR3 and TC3 is the model I'm looking at.

Anyone with opinions?


My sister has bought three sets in the last year. One at primary, one at lake house and one for her daughter. On her recommendation we settled on the TR5.
There are some minor settings differences between the three levels and manual vs electronic push button controls. The biggest difference is the length of the warranty. 3,5 and 7 years.
 
Posts: 2458 | Location: Just outside of Zion and Bryce Canyon NP's | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We have the TC and have had no problems with clothes being damaged. Unquestionably, our clothes look and smell cleaner with the use of an actual agitator and more water. On the flip side, it washes much quicker so we save on energy. Pick your poison I guess, but Mrs. BB61 will never go back to a non TC model. She’s already talked about buying 1-2 spares and storing them for future use if they are ever discontinued.


__________________________

 
Posts: 13037 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have an older version of what would be the TC5.

Aggressive agitator but has never damaged clothing. It has beat up a few bath towels but that is it.

This was 10-12 years ago and I paid a fraction of what they are selling for today.
 
Posts: 5566 | Location: NH | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We have the TR 5 and have been very happy with it.



“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

 
Posts: 4538 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
We have the TR 5 and have been very happy with it.



After looking more indepth yeah a TR5 or TC5 is really what im looking for.


"da evil Count Glockula."-Para
 
Posts: 8030 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My best buddy, who is a retired general contractor, SWEARS by Speed Queen washers/driers. He is Mr Conumer Reports kind of guys, and I don’t know if his knowledge on Speed Queens is actually from CR, personal experience, or etc.

Even so, he RANTS about not getting the one that isn’t the commercial level. Others taking his advice on SQ, but failing to understand about not getting the right one later had problems. He said DON’T get the water saving model.

My buddy’s SQ washer model is AWN632SP116TW01.


Retired Texas Lawman
 
Posts: 1498 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My SQ set is about seven years old. It does not have a slot for quarters anywhere. It does have the electronio display, and pushbutton electronic controls. It does not have the real metal knobs and ratchet sounds.

Guess what. It works fine. Every time. No noise. No fuss. So many cycles my wife's eyes gleam with joy as she contemplates exactly what cycle to use for these particular clothing items. It has digested powder, liquid, pods, and softeners.

I think you get the idea. Speed Queen is a fine brand. Choose the model that does what you want and enjoy its features. Don't pick one because some fellow rants about commercial vs. homeowner.

AWNE9RSN115TW01 washer
ADEE9RGS175TW0 dryer


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6290 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Line confusion is what has held me up from my planned purchase. I came to terms with the price many months ago, just not sure which I should be buying. (the fact that I absolutely loath the only place that sells them locally hasn't helped)


My 25 year old GE still WASHES just fine, it just doesn't spin out anymore. I'm tired of waterlogged clothes taking forever to dry, and souring on the line this time of year.
 
Posts: 22225 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
We have the TR 5 and have been very happy with it.



After looking more indepth yeah a TR5 or TC5 is really what im looking for.



The TC line has the traditional separate drum and agitator that move independently for a more aggressive washing cycle. Supposedly better cleaning and harder on the clothing.

The TR line has a fixex drum and agitator that moves together for a more gentle washing cycle. Supposedly quieter and easier on the clothing.

My wife wanted the physical knobs so we went with the TR5, she is still very happy with it and says it gets the clothing much cleaner than our old HE washer. I can’t compare it to the TC, but is is pretty quiet.



“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

 
Posts: 4538 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Well I ordered the TR5. Should be here in a week and a half…


"da evil Count Glockula."-Para
 
Posts: 8030 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I have to say that “Speed Queen” sounds a bit quaint nowadays. Smile



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11799 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
What’s a TR5 go for?
 
Posts: 8282 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
Well I ordered the TR5. Should be here in a week and a half…


Again, just going by what I’m seeing on YT and the anecdotes of my buddy, I’m going to say you will most likely be very happy with your domestic chores with this new addition.


Retired Texas Lawman
 
Posts: 1498 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
There is a new Maytag coming out that will try and match the speedqueen tc5.
 
Posts: 1667 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
There is a new Maytag coming out that will try and match the speedqueen tc5.


Do you happen to know the model?
 
Posts: 35518 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKghNqR2xA

I'm not going to watch it again. Advertised as a 30 year machine. Whirpool/Maytags junk. Explains why. His current fave is Speed Queen. Waiting a year for actual feedback/disassembly
 
Posts: 1667 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of what T Series my Speed Queen set is, but here are pictures of the front loader washer that does an AMAZING job! Best washer I have ever had. Also best dryer to go with it. I never knew of Speed Queen until this forum and am forever grateful for buying this. Now after more research, it appears I have a FF7 series.








NRA Benefactor Life Member
 
Posts: 10031 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What version of a Speed Queen do I want?

© SIGforum 2026