SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I miss fingerprint id
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I miss fingerprint id Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
iPhone 11 now.

I miss the fingerprint reader. I’m still not comfortable with the facial id for some reason. And I think the fingerprint is a little more versatile and adaptable across various situations. Although facial may be better during glove season.

I have it enabled for apps but it’s off for logging into the phone.

What’s the general thinking on it?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I've gotten used to the face thing.
I do miss the FP thing from time to time however.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1543 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
The iPhone SE still uses fingerprint ID. I just bought one and I am happy with it.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Face ID is a nice concept but having to wear a mask all the time ( health care worker) defeats it

Posts: 3296 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I didn't really like the face ID when I first got my iPhone. I have two iPads with fingerprint ID, so having to think about holding my phone differently for it to look at me was weird.

But, it only took a couple days, and now I like it much better than fingerprint, which my iPads still use. In fact, I pretty much hate fingerprint ID now, because sometimes my finger is not placed exactly in the correct position, and I can't just use any finger or thumb...it's got to be the correct one.

Now when wearing a mask, I can tap in my code in a fraction of a second, so it's really no big deal.

No matter how you look at it, both are pretty sweet technologies.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2842 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
First world problems, I know. But I really miss the fingerprint unlock.

I have to wear a mask at work, and I'm really tired of typing my phone code in all time. What used to be two clicks is now swipe and 6 clicks (assuming I get the code right the first time). Doesn't sound like much, but I use my phone for work and every time I get an email, or instant message I have to unlock it.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Either my face or my iPhone is broken. Never could get face unlock to work. Did it both with and without mask, just use a PIN instead. Even if it did work, I didn't like the concept of it anyways.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20832 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
... In fact, I pretty much hate fingerprint ID now, because sometimes my finger is not placed exactly in the correct position, and I can't just use any finger or thumb...it's got to be the correct one. ...
You can add fingers to the unlock profile. I usually add both thumbs.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I was with you thinking I would want to keep the FP and would hate the face recognition. I was wrong, I actually much prefer the face recognition now that I am used to it.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I prefer the fingerprint ID but it did take up screen space. The latest iPad has fingerprint ID on the tiny power button at the top. I would like to try that one out.

Face ID was ok until the Rona. Doesn't work that well with facemasks.

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I prefer the fingerprint ID but it did take up screen space.

That's one of the reasons why I intend to hold onto my Samsung S9 for as long as I can. The fingerprint reader is on the back near the camera. I'm not a fan of the facial ID at all. I much prefer the fingerprint ID.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I could never get the fingerprint ID to work. NEVER!

If I had to wear a mask all the time I would do away with the passcode for sure. I. don't have any secrets in my phone.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

TouchID (fingerprint) worked well for me, even better with the second phone which had upgraded the ID (6s, I think). Now I have an Xs phone, with FaceID, and it works wonderfully, except for the mask thing. For a while, I was authenticating Apple Pay with the passcode, but now I just drop the mask off of one ear at the checkout terminal, and pay with FaceID. Very quick and easy.

Apple is working on a TouchID button within the screen, so it won't take extra real estate (a bezel) to have TouchID. They also are planning a phone with both TouchID (within the screen) and FaceID, best of both worlds. I forget the planned year for this phone (2021 perhaps), but you can ignore any speculation because Apple goes at their own speed.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'm in the facial recognition camp. I had several iPhones prior to the X that had fingerprint id and worked just fine. After purchasing my first iPhone with the facial recognition (X) I find it just as convenient. The fact that mine works extremely fast, and also tested in almost completely dark conditions, different sunglasses etc, without a hiccup, I'm good.

The technology is moving at such a rapid pace, I wonder whats next in smartphone technologies, maybe a magnetic field sensor that is linked to your unique signature somehow, and opens the phone within a short distance..Should be very interesting whats on the horizon though. I wouldn't go as far as some kind of implant chip (RFID).

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have an iPhone X and I loved the Face ID. It worked really well and well, I just preferred it most if the time.
Now that we have to wear masks all day at work, it’s pointless. I wish I had Touch ID.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Face ID works great on my iPhone 11 Pro - unless I am forced to wear on of those damn masks.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sucks. I never could get it to work properly. I can remember a numerical ID quite easily and punch the numbers in no time.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
also if your phone is locked, a law enforcement agency can compel you to use your fingerprint or your face, but I don't think they can force you to give up a digital PIN

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I felt the same way at first but love it now.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17283 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
does the iPhone 10 use fingerprint or face?

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8373 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post