SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bought my dream boat (dream kayak) and it is BEAUTIFUL!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought my dream boat (dream kayak) and it is BEAUTIFUL!! Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I came across this beauty on facebook’s Market place. I got to talking to it’s owner and worked out a price that was just too good to pass up. It is a Chesapeake Light Craft Shearwater 17 Hybrid. Hybrid meaning cedar stripped deck and stitch and glue hull (wood/fiberglass/epoxy) construction.

I’ve been building the same boat since 2010 and REALLY need to just finish it (mine is aboht 70-80% built).

On the water this thing is a hot rod. With only a 22inch beam (width) and 17ft length she slices through the water and cruises right along with little effort. It is not nearly as stable as my other wider kayaks but what it sacrifices in stability it makes up for in speed.

I cannot wait to get this baby in the Elizabeth river, currituck sound and explore lakes in NC.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Smile

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing looking boat!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Correctomundo!!

That is gorgeous, and should be a TON of fun!

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me personally, I stay the heck out of the water unless absolutely necessary, but that looks like its built to move.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Where are you going to mount the rod holders? Smile

That’s a few classes of kayak up from what I am used to.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
A friend was doing a stitch and glue boat, I had not seen the process before. It was interesting to watch him complete the process.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
That is very nice.

It's also not likely to go the way many boats do.

Which is, become a "hole in the water in which you pour money."

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27009 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun. Might have to look into the kayak rental place near me this summer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Now that's a kayak! Are you going to practice rolls and re-entries?

Posts: 10997 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... that is beautiful and some find.

Love the timber finish ... the lines are sleek.

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I just bought a nice Yakima kayak roof mount set with rollers built in so loading the big yak on my own should be much easier.

It has a few dings and areas I that want to seal with varnish before I take it out again but for the most part it’s in excellent shape.

I haven’t practiced rolls yet but I have done re-entries on the lake in another of my boats. This one is probably harder to re-enter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I had a really nice cedar strip canoe - 15' long and had a built-in shoulder yoke for carrying it

I was dumb and gave it away...

that is a beautiful looking kayak - enjoy it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53216 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sure is sexy looking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built a CLC Dory a few years back and have been thinking about building a kayak. Yours looks beautiful

Posts: 185 | Location: Deep Creek Lake, MD, Stuart, FL.  | Registered: December 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about kayaks but I do know beauty when I see it. That is a work of art. Congrats on your new purchase.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That may be the sexiest kayak I've ever seen. I bet it is a joy to paddle.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Nice!
Get ya a nice 4 cyl 140 hp motor on there and see ya at COTA!

LOL

Posts: 5029 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post