SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of buying something from overseas.......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying something from overseas....... Login/Join 
Picture of buggsboy
posted
A Shimano fishing reel from Japan to be exact. Can anyone shed any light on how this import duty thing works? The reel is priced at around $125. I fear it may be way more trouble than it's worth. Thanks

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What model?? It is probably cheaper to buy it on ebay.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be about 20% I think.....you can't get it from a shimano dealer here/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
It's a Scorpion 1500 xt, off of Ebay. It is a reel made for the Japanese market. It is identical to the discontinued Curado 200e. Probably best to forget it, but still curious.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buggsboy:
It's a Scorpion 1500 xt, off of Ebay. It is a reel made for the Japanese market. It is identical to the discontinued Curado 200e. Probably best to forget it, but still curious.

Usually shimano discontinues something because it isn't that great. Whereas the good reels they make for decades unchanged like the tiagra's and tld's.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
This is a reel that I think was killed off by the strong dollar. Two or three years ago new ones were going for around $135, and now used ones will bring upwards of $175. I think Shimano was losing profits on this reel due to the exchange rates.

Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
I am just totally ignorant about how this works. For instance, how does the item get from the port of entry to my front door? How are duties calculated? When are duties paid, and what are payment options? I think there's probably too much red tape involved for this to work.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I've had many things come from overseas via eBay (China, Russia, England, Germany) never paid duty or import fees on any of them.

Electronics, camera lenses, pharmaceutical, razor blades, personal care products.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have bought Seiko watches from sellers in Hong Kong through Ebay, never had any issue with duty or other taxes being due. Delivery via US Mail, sent by Hong Kong Post. Trouble-free, in my experience.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
No kidding. Well, hell. I may just give it a shot.

posted Hide Post
I buy all sorts of stuff that ships from Hong Kong. Most recently, I needed a second IPhone charger. For $1.35 shipped from China, it's worth the risk. My wife buys custom-fit clothes from China. Never had an issue.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I bought a $200 chef knife from Japan and had no issues.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I've bought several items from overseas on eBay, both from Europe and Asia. No problemo....just win the auction and pay the lady. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've bought items that just show with no duties due. Depends on how they ship. I think it was DHL that just arrived, no issues.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I would recommend getting a commitment on delivery time if one isn't stated. Even through Amazon I mistakenly picked an item that was coming from China, and the order confirmation showed delivery estimate in 2 weeks or so. A month later when no show, easy to get a refund through Amazon. From an eBay seller perhaps a little tougher.

In my few experiences nearly impossible to track once shipped. It's in a black hole for weeks. Usually shows back up in tracking systems after delivery......

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I've ordered many things from overseas and the only problems I've encountered is lack of tracking information and having to be at home to sign for it.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have ordered items through eBay, watch, fishing reel,fishing lures,jewelry, clothes, etc. that have come from both China and Japan, plus one from Malaysia with no problems, so far! They have come in a package with a duty declaration notice on the package. My wife has also ordered from Russia and Lithuania, and several nearby countries. Does not appear to have been opened along the way. My wife has been warned that the Russian and nearby countries do have problems with intercepted packages within the respective countries! So the stuff she has got from there is low value, typically some type of jewelry that has caught her fancy. China and Japan no problems ever, and the Eastern European stuff, no problems so far! But never any electronics from there! Good luck, show a picture of the reel when you get it, as well as any catches!!!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have ordered a watch from Japan. Not a cheap one, but not crazy expensive.

The shipment goes from Japan Post to a customs facility, and then out by U.S. Mail. Some shippers (like DHL) do essentially the same. I understand Hong Kong clears US Customs in Hong Kong, and then comes directly to the US by U.S.P.S., although it has Hong Kong Postage on it.

Duty was due on a watch, but what my seller told me (without guranteeing it), is that in his experience U.S. Customs doesn't usually impose the duty. That was true for me. He didn't disguise that it was a watch. Perhaps there is some realization that collecting the tax due on one relatively small purchase isn't worth the effort.

The package came in to LA, cleared customs in a day or two and was in my hands within a week of being mailed in Tokyo. It was trackable by Japan Post until it hit U.S. Customs. Same thing happened with an item from Australia. Australian Post was perfect, and cleared through Customs and on to me by U.S. Mail. No duty ever collected. But no promises - you may be the guy that has to pay the duty.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I've never had any problems buying items from overseas on Ebay and never been charged duty.

The only issue I've ever had with an overseas purchase was on some Cuban cigars from Hong Kong. they were confiscated and I receive a letter saying I was a bad boy. They were not purchased on ebay.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've purchased some gun stocks out of Country on eBay and no issues at all.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post