SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking of buying something from overseas.......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of buying something from overseas....... Login/Join 
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I've bought and buy models, knives and yes a fishing reel from Japan and never had any duties to pay. Almost quicker than buying and shipping from the US and every transaction has been easy / as expected.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought many bicycle parts from the UK and never had any duty charges. I believe the minimum overseas order for dutv to be charged was recently raised to $800 from the former $200.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
I'll be well under $800.

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So what kind of fishing are you planning to use it? The only Shimano reel I have is a Calcutta 400B.

A really nice reel is the Release SG made here in VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKAqcRErOyE

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought some rear-set pegs for my BMW. Dealt with the manufacturer, Raask, out of Sweden. Paid with one of the online services, no problems. Fortunately someone there knew English. I know zero Swedish.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
This has been my experience as well.
Also used to purchase a lot from Taiwan as well as Hong Kong.

Never an issue with foreign purchases.

Reel may not be covered by warranty in US.
That's the only caveat.

I'd have no reservation buying internationally from a. Reputable seller.

quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I've bought several items from overseas on eBay, both from Europe and Asia. No problemo....just win the auction and pay the lady. LOL

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
41, I fish mostly for largemouth bass. I have used mainly Shimano reels for the past 30 years. My favorite reel is the Curado 200e, now sadly discontinued. The Shimano Scorpion reels I am looking to buy are the Japanese version of the Curado, only more refined (better bearings, upgraded spool, etc.).

Posts: 673 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Ask him to send it registered, but you will have to sign for it once it arrives at your house.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I've also bought stuff from overseas with no issue, including greek oregano on the stalks from Greece.

FYI: Here's what Customs and Border Protection has to say about internet purchases from foreign sources:
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basi...t/internet-purchases

I have also sold and sent things overseas via eBay, and never paid a tax or duty, just filled out the forms. Not sure if the buyer had to pay something.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buggsboy:
41, I fish mostly for largemouth bass. I have used mainly Shimano reels for the past 30 years. My favorite reel is the Curado 200e, now sadly discontinued. The Shimano Scorpion reels I am looking to buy are the Japanese version of the Curado, only more refined (better bearings, upgraded spool, etc.).

You should be able to find both of those reels on ebay used in good condition or even new in the box.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of buggsboy
posted Hide Post
Got a couple I'm bidding on right now. We'll see how it turns out in a couple of days. Thanks to everyone for educating me on this!