SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I joined my HOA Board
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I joined my HOA Board Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
i was Treasurer of my HOA... and if you want my advice, institute a strict rule that you WILL NOT engage any homeowner on any issue except in writing or e-mail.

I used to say "When I'm out walking the dogs or washing my car, I'm not in a position to give you the attention you deserve. I won't speak to you about this issue now, but write a note or send me an e-mail and I will bring your issue to the Board personally."

Doesn't work 100% of the time. But if someone won't leave you alone, tell them that "if you persist, I doubt this will come up in front of the Board until such time as we get something from you in writing."

Learn to walk away...

That is great advice. Thank you.

Posts: 32579 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find a "before" picture of people before they join the HOA boards......but here is an after picture:

Just saying. Big Grin

Good luck and I hope it doesn't drive you nuts.

Posts: 3959 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
i was Treasurer of my HOA... and if you want my advice, institute a strict rule that you WILL NOT engage any homeowner on any issue except in writing or e-mail.

I used to say "When I'm out walking the dogs or washing my car, I'm not in a position to give you the attention you deserve. I won't speak to you about this issue now, but write a note or send me an e-mail and I will bring your issue to the Board personally."

Doesn't work 100% of the time. But if someone won't leave you alone, tell them that "if you persist, I doubt this will come up in front of the Board until such time as we get something from you in writing."

Learn to walk away...

That is great advice. Thank you.
Even better, the HOA I wrote about had a neighborhood email monitored by the mgmt company and only the mgmt company had BoD members’ personal email address. Issues were sent to us all at once which prevented any one person from being able to enact a 2nd set of rules for them and their buddies. For example, the recalled busy body turned in a potential violation on me and I recused myself and the other 4 treated me like everyone else. I had been ill and didn’t get my trash can in the garage in under 24 hours but got it in the garage before we received the email ftom the mgmt company.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23358 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
You would love the HOA that I serve as VP on.

Our only responsibilities are to the maintenance of the pond and the commons area. Nothing to do with house color, parking boats or RV's, shrubs, grass height, trash cans. None of that.

This is set in the by-laws. The city enforces all applicable ordinances such as grass height, outbuildings, vehicle storage, any and all. If someone comes to us regarding anything but the pond and the commons area we refer them to the applicable city department.

At the yearly meeting we discuss lawn and pond maintenance, liability insurance, permits. That's it.Our biggest problem is collection of association fees, usually $100 or slightly less depending on our bank account and our expenses.

tatortodd, you were more of a gentleman that I would have been if someone was to open my gate and enter my backyard. She would have had a trespassing charge in her future regardless of her reason or excuse.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8150 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
You would love the HOA that I serve as VP on.

Our only responsibilities are to the maintenance of the pond and the commons area. Nothing to do with house color, parking boats or RV's, shrubs, grass height, trash cans. None of that.

This is set in the by-laws. The city enforces all applicable ordinances such as grass height, outbuildings, vehicle storage, any and all. If someone comes to us regarding anything but the pond and the commons area we refer them to the applicable city department.

That's what I would love to get our HOA moved towards.

Our city already had ordinances regulating things like lawn maintenance, vehicle storage, and trash can storage. These ordinances are already reasonable.

There's no need for the HOA to have enacted even more stringent rules, or for the HOA to be trying to enforce things that the city can already handle.

Posts: 32579 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Blow it up from within...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
HOA's provide cover for people who prefer to be known as kind and Christian to be secretly sinister and nasty.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Once they looked into it, it turns out the HOA President (a stereotypical old retired nosy lady) had taken it upon herself to roam through the neighborhood, note anything she didn't like on various houses, draft up these threatening letters with the HOA name and board member's names, and send them out. All without the knowledge of the rest of the HOA Board.

People like that need to be tied to chairs and beaten with hammers. Fuck off and get a life. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
i didn't get elected. Probably shouldn't have said that my first action would be to move that the association be disbanded.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I was the President of the condo association for two buildings. Someone had to take over from the worthless company hired by the original developer and like an idiot, I volunteered. After the first meeting in our condo, I instituted Roberts Rules of Order, put a strict time limit on meetings, and moved them to the local high school. The crap people complained about and their inability to understand the condo rules was mind blowing. Whenever someone complained about who the condo board hired to do something, I put them in charge of finding a better replacement by the next meeting. I finally got out of that thankless job by selling the condo and moving. Never again will I do something like that, or live in an HOA community.

Posts: 1506 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of katndog
posted Hide Post
Good for you

Posts: 2629 | Location: CT | Registered: October 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Al I can say is you are a much braver man than I am.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5060 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
HOA's provide cover for people who prefer to be known as kind and Christian to be secretly sinister and nasty.

In some cases it’s also the only way to successfully deal with owners/neighbors who have the same profile.

eta "successfully"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgeair,

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12468 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post