SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World's Prettiest Aircraft
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World's Prettiest Aircraft Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

Commercial:

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

LOL. Prettiest, not most functional. I love the Four Fans of Freedom but pretty she ain't.

Hey, I think she's gorgeous.

She's not a spoiled scrawny size 0.25 runway model; she's a beautiful, muscular girl who works a manual labor job for a living (or maybe the airplane version of Christina Hendricks).

I love A-10s, most Soviet stuff (that Antonov AN-22 in the 'ugly plane' thread is a favorite of mine), C-130s, BUFFs, Stukas, and a lot of the 'ugly' planes in the other thread. Just like with women, there is no universally-accepted criteria for beauty (though anybody calling a Spitfire ugly is beyond help).

Yep, no worries!

I flew these for a couple of years down in Panama - in fact I took this picture and it shows up all over for the Mighty Chuck-27!

So I appreciate what these can do. I really, really, liked that airplane. But ask me if that or the T-38 I flew just before that is prettier? Ehhhh... I gotta go with the T-38.

But that is just me. I love the late 50s - early 60s jets that just looked like like they were going mach snot on the ground.

It has already been posted, but that RA-5C Vigilante was perfect.

Look at how big that thing is compared to an F-4!

Plus it looks like it is going twice as fast as the old Double-Ugly.

Good thread guys, thanks!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always partial to an F111 with the wings
swept back:

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

LOL. Prettiest, not most functional. I love the Four Fans of Freedom but pretty she ain't.

Hey, I think she's gorgeous.

She's not a spoiled scrawny size 0.25 runway model; she's a beautiful, muscular girl who works a manual labor job for a living (or maybe the airplane version of Christina Hendricks).

I love A-10s, most Soviet stuff (that Antonov AN-22 in the 'ugly plane' thread is a favorite of mine), C-130s, BUFFs, Stukas, and a lot of the 'ugly' planes in the other thread. Just like with women, there is no universally-accepted criteria for beauty (though anybody calling a Spitfire ugly is beyond help).

And she'll "Bitch Slap" you, like you never been slapped...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44479 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
I was always partial to an F111 with the wings
swept back:

Oh yeah. And the Aussies had the balls to do what that thing is doing - dumping fuel and then burning it with the "reheat" (afterburner to us Yanks).

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I was gonna put the Staggerwing, but since thats up and this isnt, Id add the F-20 Tigershark

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3488 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post

Navion

Saberliner

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I'm not sure exactly why, but ever since I was a little kid, I've loved the F4U Corsair.

This one gets my vote too

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Way ahead of its time. She was a beautiful aircraft.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
B25 by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

B25 by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

AH-124-100A by Lone-Rider, on Flickr

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11224 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Stearman trainer. Even the paint scheme is beautiful.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2801 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
My favorites in scantily clad livery..........

Posts: 2030 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sound of FREEDOM !!!! As a young kid in the 1970's, for a few years I lived at the Oceana Naval Housing in Virginia Beach, and constantly heard these. God Bless Smile

quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
For me, it's always been

Nope, not a bad looking plane at all. Razz

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3092 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Military:
P-38

I've always had a love affair with this aircraft.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9183 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My favorites have always started with "F-4", namely the F-4 Phantom and the F-4U Corsair. Go figure.

Posts: 7411 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
My favorites have always started with "F-4", namely the F-4 Phantom and the F-4U Corsair. Go figure.

Does that include the F4F Wildcat? Wink

I once watched a guy turn on final in one of those, still frantically cranking his landing gear down. I think he made it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9375 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

But I'm biased... Big Grin

Many years ago, when the B-1's were stationed at McConnell in Wichita, I was out in western Kansas hunting pheasants. We were driving along a dirt road, warm day, windows down, and all of a sudden overhead passes a B-1 running one of the "oil burner routes" out there at a very low altitude with wings swept. Wasn't supersonic but was really hauling the mail. Never heard him until he was long past us and the roar came over us. Scared the bejesus out of us. Great looking and performing aircraft. They used to use the ridgline on my house to line up for the centerline at McConnell so I saw them on final almost every day and night. Now, it's just the tankers.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3794 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Let me add the Beech D17 Staggerwing:

The Staggerwing is a beauty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53243 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Way ahead of its time. She was a beautiful aircraft.

She sure was. Shame that Beech bought them all back and destroyed them. But, I'm sure that they learned a tremendous amount about composites from the exercise.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

She sure was. Shame that Beech bought them all back and destroyed them. But, I'm sure that they learned a tremendous amount about composites from the exercise.

The Pima Air and Space Museum (Tucson, Az; largest privately-owned aircraft museum in the world) has one on display. It is a stunning aircraft.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21923 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post