SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man stunned when GM dealer says pay for Yukon weeks before possession or lose it
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man stunned when GM dealer says pay for Yukon weeks before possession or lose it Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
It doesn't seem legal to:
  • ignore the $500 deposit. The general manager came off as a douchenozzle saying it's OK since GM said so as this ignores contract laws.
  • create a title with a falsified delivery date

At best, this is a douchey business practice and even if it's legal this is a slippery slope for the economy:
  • What if more and more businesses did this? For example, instead of the agreed payment terms (e.g. net 30 days), suppliers to GM arbitrarily changed to pay me a deposit to make it and then 100% 2 weeks before it ships or we're selling to someone else.
  • The people you're screwing are your customers and they're buying something with a finite life. I'd certainly hold a big ass grudge and not buy from them when I bought my next vehicle.
    quote:
    Man stunned when GM dealer says pay for Yukon weeks before possession or lose it

Kimberly Craig
    Posted at 7:54 PM, Feb 25, 2022 and last updated 6:54 PM, Feb 25, 2022

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WXYZ) — A Livingston County family was eagerly anticipating a brand new GMC Yukon when they got an unexpected phone call from the dealership.

"Ordered a new vehicle. The vehicle hasn't arrived yet and the dealership wants me to either pay cash or get a loan on the vehicle without taking possession of it," the man wrote on Facebook, adding that the dealership was "threatening to sell the vehicle to someone else" if he didn't.

The man said he had already been waiting months after placing a $500 deposit with the dealership, Todd Wenzel Buick GMC of Davison.

The man said he tried to show proof of funds, but that didn't matter. He said he was given until Feb. 28 to complete the purchase on paper, which would also include insurance on the vehicle and possibly making payments, he wrote.

On Facebook, the man indicated the vehicle's identification number was available, which means the Yukon has been built. He also posted the application for the title and registration form that had been filled out by the dealer and signed by their finance manager with a typed "delivery date" of 02/21/2022.

7 Action News reached out to the dealership and spoke to Josh Gordon who, on their website, is listed as the general manager.

Gordon said it's about keeping the lights on, paying his employees and managing low supply with high demand.

Gordon wanted to make it clear that the customer has still not completed the purchase of the Yukon, which is expected to arrive on March 10.

When 7 Action News asked why the $500 deposit was not enough to hold the vehicle for the man until it actually arrives and he can see it before completing the purchase, Gordon said the deposit does not mean that the vehicle is guaranteed to a particular person.

Gordon said his dealership gets a new vehicle from GM when they sell one. He said it's called "turn and earn." So even if a vehicle hasn't been delivered to a customer, it's delivered on paper.

But what if someone purchases and insures a vehicle before taking possession and that vehicle falls off a truck or is somehow damaged or destroyed?

Gordon said the dealer would fix the damage because it's their responsibility to deliver a vehicle in new condition or they would "unwind the transaction."

And while some people on social media found the process surprising and others even questioned the legality of it, Gordon said the process is legal and allowed by GM.

A manager at another GM dealership, who wanted to remain anonymous, said a vehicle purchase is not consummated unless the customer can actually drive it off the lot or take physical possession of it.

Gordon said after several conversations with the customer who wants to purchase the Yukon, he told him that he would make an exception for him so that he would not have to pay in advance.

If a person has a complaint about any business operating in the state, a spokesperson for Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said they can file an online complaint with their office.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23317 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The new headline a year from now will read : GM dealer stunned at lack of customers, even with a full inventory.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Quite the contrast (obviously) to 2003 when I toured the Arlington,Tx GM plant. They were producing around 1000 SUVs (Tahoes,Suburbans, Yukon, Escalades) a day. 5 1/2 days a week.

Posts: 3601 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of powermad
    posted Hide Post
    It's not Amazon, pay for it then get it.

When I finish signing the paperwork I had better be looking over the hood a few minutes later.
    My response to that dealership would not have been printable or shown on video without clicking the I am 18 button.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Total dick move. My dad worked for GM for 48 yrs and ordered many new GM vehicles. He would have told that dealer to shove it up his ass. I have personally never ordered a new vehicle so I don’t know the protocol but I know he never signed anything until he got to look it over, nor would I. I have no problem with a reasonable refundable deposit. I hope that dealer goes belly up

Posts: 461 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Just because you can,
    doesn't mean you should
    posted Hide Post
    This is more than a dick move. This also sounds like bank fraud-if the guy is agreeing to sign falsified documents that show he actually took delivery in order for the bank to release the funds.

A dealership that states they are doing this to keep the lights on sounds especially risky to this car (non)owner.

Individuals at dealerships have done plenty of things that aren't legal, and until someone starts a legal process against them, it may appear as business as usual and OK.

It isn't. I wouldn't take legal advice from a GM of a car dealer. This purchaser should have contacted his lawyer first and maybe the FBI as this sounds like bank fraud. If it's a widespread practice by GM or other dealers, they may be especially interested.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    A dick move

There is definitely something missing from that story, a few things probably

I have a lot of the folks wanting to pay before it's even built, I ask them to be patient and I will let them know when it's close in transit

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of powermad
    posted Hide Post
    Guys are doing the Gunbroker thing with semi's around here.
    Order and take possession of a rig and immediately sell it as used for nearly double.

The shops used truck lot can hold about 150 rigs and used to be always full. It's been empty for months.
    Now it's used for the Service dept to store rigs waiting on parts and it's full, with the service lot 4 and 5 deep at times.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Diablo Blanco
    Picture of dking271
    posted Hide Post
    I’d be willing to bet the dealer is not happy with the negotiated price and knows it can sell for thousands more if the original buyer doesn’t deal. I’d bet they would lose if challenged on the contractual legalities of the extortion they are perpetuating. A real scumbag thing to do and terrible optics for GM. I’ve grown to expect nothing less from the US auto industry.

One of my cars recently spent 2 months in the shop waiting on a new computer from Germany. My service rep told me at the time, that they only had 4 new cars on the lot. They normally kept between 75-100 new and about the same in certified and used cars. The biggest challenge they were having was repeat buyers coming in off leases. They were turning them away by the dozens because they weren’t sure they could meet demand even by offering sweet extension deals on current leases.

Posts: 2971 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    He needs to send this info to GM.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blackmore
    posted Hide Post
    I'm sure Dana Nessel will be all over it like she is on Michigan's gas price "gougers"

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    safe & sound
    Picture of a1abdj
    posted Hide Post
    Although I don't agree with the concept, I don't think that this is as unheard of as some may think, and it isn't necessarily illegal either.

I have purchased (in full), titled, and insured vehicles prior to taking physical possession. Generally used and from out of state.

Disclaimer: Even though I don't believe it is good practice, or ethical, I do not hate car dealers or salesmen (or women). I have never been screwed by a car dealer, nor dumped by a dealership owner's daughter.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15730 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    This is all stemming from the Dem Panic pandemic, the supply chain issues and supply (low) and demand (high). Unless you wrecked your old car and have to take the bus or ride a bicycle to work, you don't need a car (new or used) right now. Wait till this blows over. Surely it will.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    There are laws in every state regarding the sale of a vehicle, not sure they are breaking any law by demanding payment in full prior to delivery, maybe breaking with custom and historical process, but, question is it illegal.

In this market you want it, you pay to play for specific models, Tahoe being one, and there are few options to go elsewhere, unscrupulous, a bit pushy, out of line, and clearly out of the norm,

Dealers are feeling some squeeze trying to make ends meet, right now the majority of sales at dealerships are orders for future delivery, not getting paid for the vehicle for 90 days kills cash flow during the transition from the old process of closing on the day the customer takes delivery since there is little to sell for day to day delivery.

They should have made it a condition of sale, you order, X$ down, full payment due once Vin is assigned, if they signed an agreement, the terms bind, Dealer may full be within its legal rights...

Now as far as optics, different story...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Surprised dealerships have not started on-line auctions yet.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by a1abdj:
    Although I don't agree with the concept, I don't think that this is as unheard of as some may think, and it isn't necessarily illegal either.

I have purchased (in full), titled, and insured vehicles prior to taking physical possession. Generally used and from out of state.

Disclaimer: Even though I don't believe it is good practice, or ethical, I do not hate car dealers or salesmen (or women). I have never been screwed by a car dealer, nor dumped by a dealership owner's daughter.

I have no issues paying ahead of time if the vehicle physically exists. I would expect a dealer or private party to have payment before letting a vehicle leave their control.

In this case, just because there is a VIN does not mean there is a vehicle. Vehicles are assigned a VIN during early production. You can have a VIN but no vehicle for months.

I think the dealer is trying to get the buyer to back out of the deal so they can sell at a higher price.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SevenPlusOne
    posted Hide Post
    I'd get my $500 back, out of his ass. Then I'd go buy a Ford.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
    Has nothing to do with the make it has to do with the independently owned dealership.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fighting the good fight
    Picture of RogueJSK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

And thus go back to the end of the waiting list, and have to wait many more months for your Ford to arrive.

It's not a GM vs. Ford thing. It's an "asshole dealership" thing.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post
    Lemme guess "Cheaper Than Dirt GMC"?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post