SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moderate priced entry 4k drone.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moderate priced entry 4k drone. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
I'm about to pull the trigger on this Potensic ATOM 3-Axis Gimbal 4K GPS Drone - Fly More Combo.

Going on trip to a tropical paradise in a few months, want to get some decent aerial pics/vids, but don't want to break the bank. This appears to be equivalent to a DJI Mini 2, but $100 cheaper with a tracking feature and more batteries.

All reviews I've watched rate this thing pretty highly, especially at the price point of $350.

What are y'all's thoughts?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My son just got a DJI Mini 3 for $350 about a week and a half ago. It's an impressive little machine, and he's had a lot of fun playing with it and has taken some sweet videos. The range is really impressive, and the controls were easy to learn. It's a similar model to the one our buddy took to Alaska with us, so we got a chance to get pretty well acquainted with it while we were up there.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^ The same bundle with extra batteries for a DJI Mini 3 is $589. I like the price point where I'm at, possibly slightly higher, preferably same or less.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
He got it on sale from ABT.com...I think the sale has ended, though, and the price is now $419 for the same kit. He did not get the extra batteries, but he told me the manufacturer recommends not running it continuously for extended periods, anyway, so taking the time to charge the battery back up gives the motors a break. He may pick up another battery at some point just to have a spare, but for now the 30+ minutes of runtime that he's getting out of a single battery is getting the job done.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great thread and an opportunity to share the contents with my son who is thinking about buying one.

Thanks 92 also for the education on allowing the motors to cool between charges.

Posts: 3319 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but you'll need to check the rules where you are traveling. It may be impossible to use.

If you're going to be in the US at this destination, you're likely restricted from flying anywhere over people and buildings.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
What SigSAC said.
UAVs transmit signals out, constantly.
Jesse, make sure you understand rules/regulations/laws where you are going.

Posts: 3855 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do people buy insurance for those?

Should they get lost, stolen, or damage property?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I was just about to post about needing some drone advice. I have a DJI Mavic Air Fly More Combo that I got in a trade a few years ago. My needs are just recreational/nature/photography type stuff. I want one with a screen on the remote though. How far up in DJI the food chain should I be looking? I didn't see a comparison tool on their website. I'd like to stay in that $500ish and under range.

Thanks for any input.

Posts: 749 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at DJI and have a Costco membership the mini 3 non pro is $299. I have a cheapo drone and no experience with DJI but its a name I've heard. I'm actually considering it. The one you talked about is pretty well priced on amazon currently and prime day is around the corner.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
That is a nice deal but I'm trying to upgrade to a remote with a screen. Maybe I can't pull that off for my budget?

Edit: Yeah, I'm reaching here with my $500ish budget.

Posts: 749 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The screenless DJI remote plugs directly into your phone and uses it as a screen, as well as for in-app controls. I initially thought it would be nice to have the screen built in to the remote, but having seen my buddy and my son now operate with their phones, it seems very unnecessary.

Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
That's good to know. Thanks. Can I mount my phone on the remote so I'm not holding both? Sorry, I haven't played with this thing much but want to start.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
That's good to know. Thanks. Can I mount my phone on the remote so I'm not holding both? Sorry, I haven't played with this thing much but want to start.

That's how they are designed to work. They all will grip the phone in various ways. I plan on using an old phone as my screen so that I can still use my phone.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Great idea. I have an extra iPhone (X?) laying around I could use.

Edit: I did find a comparison tool:
https://www.dji.com/products/c...ison-consumer-drones

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yep, it has spring loaded arms that come out and hold your phone on top of the remote, and the remote comes with the necessary ables to connect to your phone, be it Apple or Android. It all functions like one integrated unit.

We did have to download the Android app off the DJI website, as it's not available through the Google play store, but it's working fine with son's Moto G.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
^^ The same bundle with extra batteries for a DJI Mini 3 is $589. I like the price point where I'm at, possibly slightly higher, preferably same or less.

Well, the question is. Do you want GOOD video quality and something that's proven or easy to fly. Or something for $100 or so less that will end up in the bottom of the ocean or look like it was filmed in 1995.

Posts: 21406 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for something hard to fly, that has a crap picture, and is super easy to send to Davey Jones Locker.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm looking for something hard to fly, that has a crap picture, and is super easy to send to Davey Jones Locker.
Big Grin Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
We recently got a cheaper Potensic after watching some YouTube comparisons on it and DJI and fly it over some family land, I'm impressed with it. It takes great video and pictures. It doesn't have the gimble so quick acceleration and changes of directions affect the filming somewhat and also when the drone is flying against the wind it gives an angle camera/video view. We got it for our 12yr old son (and me...) since it needs adult supervision due to liability issues.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post