SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Biden’s Effort to Increase Internet Access Faces Hurdle: Getting the Word Out
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden’s Effort to Increase Internet Access Faces Hurdle: Getting the Word Out Login/Join 
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
What about the Amish?

Posts: 4011 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you asked:

Amish getting online with third-party help
Some Amish businesses, particularly furniture makers, have perceived a need to be online in order to more effectively compete in the marketplace. As having one’s own web presence is typically frowned upon, Amish who wish to be online typically will go through a third party, often a non-Amish person who sets up and operates the Amish business’s site.

This provides a layer of insulation and at least symbolically signifies that the Amish feel casual internet usage to not be acceptable. Having a third party handle it also reduces the potential to be exposed to worldly influences on the web.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free shit for everyone. When I was a kid we had a black and white TV
with three channels. I was the remote control Big Grin

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we were the last house on the block
to get a color TV.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Starlink is a joke.
Uh huh. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
I think we were the last house on the block
to get a color TV.

My Dad was about the last guy in town to get a black and white TV. He thought it was going to be a fad.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
$30-a-month subsidy...

More than 11 million Americans have signed up...

Did I read that right? $330M+ (a month!) down a rathole....and the problem is that not enough people have signed up?

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Starlink is a joke. It would work better if they weren't 15+ months behind on sending the stuff out.

When a municipality offers an ISP $2.200,000 to run fiber to 517 homes, the ISP says it is not worth their time. They were happier buying CNN (but not T-Mobile).

Here is the bigger part of the problem. Why would Verizon pay tons of money to supply internet to such a small population? Not to mention there is a good chance none of those people will subscribe to their top tier/profit services. Coupled with a low income area where people are more likely to be delinquent on their bill. Its a huge loss for the provider.

Posts: 5423 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
There are some good rural programs...Alleghany County in NW NC has such a program so there is high speed internet available at every address. You have to pay to get it too you house if it is over a certain distance from the road (200 feet???).

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Thankfully I now benefit from it.
For over 15 years My sister's house and mine had no land phone line or cable and 0-1 bar signal strength of 3G cell. We finally put Hughsnet in for internet but it was SO SLOW, forget trying to watch a YouTube video, and it didn't work with my cell phone for wireless calling so I still had to drive about a mile to get a cell signal strong enough to stay connected.

Then about once a year I'd get in the mail a survey from Prodigi (a local internet and TV provider) asking if I had internet, if so how well it worked. If not, or if it was very slow, how was it affecting me. I'd mention the lack of telephone, inability to do my banking on-line, etc. and send it in. They would then submit all the return info to whatever government dept (State of Federal) with their application for financial rural internet assistance to help them with the cost of running the cable. Plus I'd drop by their office and plead every so often. After about the forth year they finally came and ran fiber to our homes so I now have internet, and strong cell signal at least around the house.

I think it's a very beneficial program for people living in rural areas, I'm sure grateful for it.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post