SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    College student drinks himself to death, parents get $3M
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

College student drinks himself to death, parents get $3M Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
The private college I attended didn't have fraternities and sororities and never had. It was one of the reasons I went there. Nevertheless, it didn't stop me from drinking too much on occasion but it was my choice - not as a result of pledging or hazing.

Same here.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a conversation with my wife about the things that we tell our children. I think it would be impossible to cover everything, but given the frequency and subject matter of warnings, you hope they are covered. Some of the things I have told my daughter recently:
1. Boys lie.
2. Slow your driving in the rain if it makes you feel comfortable.
3. Boys lie.
4. My parents were idiots too until I realized I was the idiot.
5. Boys lie.

Posts: 658 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I attended a "streetcar college" and lived at home. My school may have had fraternities and sororities, but I didn't know anyone who was a member. My social needs were church, Chem Eng'g student club, and AFROTC Arnold Air Society. None of those had drunken parties or nefarious behavior. My academic load and scattered jobs precluded doing anything more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Chem Eng'g student club,

I dunno man, I've heard that sometimes those Chem Eng parties can be a blast!

Posts: 658 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:

I've heard that sometimes those Chem Eng parties can be a blast!
One of my acquaintances was "John The Plumber," so named because he worked in the cryogenics research lab (He was a PhD Chem Eng).

He used to bring frozen gin cubes to our get-togethers. Kept your martini nice and cold, without diluting the drink as the cube melted.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
One of my acquaintances was "John The Plumber," so named because he worked in the cryogenics research lab (He was a PhD Chem Eng).

He used to bring frozen gin cubes to our get-togethers. Kept your martini nice and cold, without diluting the drink as the cube melted.

Genius, but that does take a high powered freezer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About ten years or so ago, an LSU student drank himself to death. A survey determined that a majority of college students did not know that mass quantities of alcohol could kill you. Rather surprising.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Genius, but that does take a high powered freezer.

That it does. I just had to find out how cold and here it is.

https://www.theginguide.com/gi...eeze%20more%20easily.

Can you keep gin in the freezer?
The typical household freezer is set to minus 18 C (zero Fahrenheit). Pure gin shouldn’t freeze until the temperature falls to minus 27 C (-17 F), so it is safe in your freezer.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
About ten years or so ago, an LSU student drank himself to death. A survey determined that a majority of college students did not know that mass quantities of alcohol could kill you. Rather surprising.[/QUOT

Thats the problem these days my teen years was mid 70s early 80s at 14 I knew drinking a crap load of hard stuff at one time would kill you or at the very least not be a good turn out

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, people have died from chugging too much water over a short period of time.

All things in moderation.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
My undergrad had about 10% student population in Frats/Sororities. We used to be regulars near the top in Playboy's top party schools. So being in a social greek might make getting into a party easier, but also if you couldn't find an off campus party, that was more on you. And even back then, a few frats were well known for drug and alcohol use. One was even shunned by the rest of the frats because they took drug use to extremes. It would be interesting to know that frat's rep on BGU's campus is, and if they had alcohol issues in the past.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post