SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    win11 - yay or nay?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

win11 - yay or nay? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
what's the latest on w11 for home use (not biz)? i have it at work now. a few annoyances but otherwise seems more same than different. but this was an IT forced upgrade.

for home, should i stay on w10? or move to w11? specifically, is security and privacy better with w11? worse?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No major reason to upgrade especially if your hardware is older.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have 11th Gen Core processor in my laptop. Is this considered old or is it worthwhile moving to win11? Laptop is about 2.5years old?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I have 11th Gen Core processor in my laptop. Is this considered old or is it worthwhile moving to win11? Laptop is about 2.5years old?
I'm still running Win7Pro on a Dell XPS8900 with an Intel i7-6700 CPU and 8GB of internal memory. I'm strongly considering an update to Win 10 just so I can get some software downloaded from Adobe. Should I instead be looking at Win 11?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I have Win 11 on my two PCs. Not a huge change. Having your icons at the center of the taskbar took a little getting used to, but on my 34" monitor I find it more convenient. And in a recent update they added tabs for file exploring. It was a little but meaning update.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay. I guess the usage stuff is pretty minor. I'm thinking if I update, it'll most likely be because security / privacy is better (stuff you don't really see unless you're breached). But I can't tell if win11 is better than win10, especially given my HW.

I'm all backed up and have a recovery disk ready (unproven though). Just still trying to figure out if I should pull the trigger or skip it.

I actually don't like the task bar on the bottom w/ the icons in the middle. I like my task bar on the left side of the monitor.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I just got a new laptop with Windows 11. It's a little different than 10, but not that much.

The Start icon can be moved to the left side through Settings. I did that right away.

I'm not going to upgrade my Win 10 machine, though.
Better to leave that alone since it's working fine and I don't need anything Windows 11 has on that machine.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
The Start icon can be moved to the left side through Settings. I did that right away.

Agree - not seeing much difference visually between w10 and w11 on my work computer. Any differences not worth upgrading my home computer unless there are security / privacy benefits.

The Start icons - sorry, what I meant was the the taskbar being located vertically on the left side of the monitor. Not moving the icons to the left side of the task bar located on the bottom side of the monitor. I have a wide screen monitor - more real estate horizontally than vertically to burn on a task bar. And it keeps these frequently used icons at eye level rather than looking down.

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My Taskbar came on the bottom. With past releases you could just drag it down and it would pop down to the bottom of the screen
I would expect that to still be the case.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

No that is a perfectly fine hardware platform to upgrade with.
You could easily upgrade, maybe even advisable.
Just remember to have the system fully updated first w10 and have a good backup if you have important data.

Otherwise your are GTG to upgrade.
I just lots of problems trying to upgrade very old machines.
Anything less than Intel Gen 9 ( I don't support AMD so couldn't tell you about them) is a no-go for W11 for my advice, W10 > yes but W11 > no.

One more thing if you have really old devices ... say a printer or whatever, you might first check compatibility.
I see a lot of people upgrade then cry about Microsoft when an old device is not supported.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Usage nitpick: ITYM "yea" or nay. (Better yet, IMO: Yea or nae.)

yay - exclamation, informal: used to show that you are very pleased about something

(Btw: I vote "nae." But, I would, being as I don't use MS-Windows Wink.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I recently upgraded my laptop to Win11. The only real big issue was being able to install without logging into a Microsoft account. I had to search for a workaround. That workaround included having to modify the install files using a tool called Rufus. The old trick of disconnecting the network cable at a certain spot in the install doesn't work anymore.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 10 on one PC and 11 on another. I really don't see any difference between the two, neither for performance nor appearance.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I have windows 10 on my desktop and 11 on my laptop. From a usability standpoint, there's really no difference between them. I don't really like the taskbar or start menu on either, so I use a replacement anyway that acts more like the windows 7 system.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would just wait until you buy your next computer.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19685 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Generally agree. But if security / privacy is materially improved with w11 under the covers, that may be valuable. I'll probably be using this computer for at least the next 5 years unless it dies before that.

It sounds like there are some material security improvements (but I don't know how important they really are) but these improvements are peppered with caveats like 'if your hardware supports....' and so I don't really know, for me and my system, if upgrading is worthwhile.

posted Hide Post
What I don't like is you must be online to install and must have a Microsoft account and be logged in, takes away more user control, I stayed with 7 as long as I could.
More loss of freedom for your "security".

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put 11 on a couple laptops & I'm currently trying to get the win 11 VM on my frankenPC (media server/nas/PC) to play nice with pass-through graphics (which is a pain in the ass in the best case). Had I not needed new keys or if win11 hadn't been the same price as 10 for a 5-pack of keys w/office 2021, I would have stuck with win10/office 2019.

quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would just wait until you buy your next computer.

This is solid advice.

I see very little to differentiate 10 & 11, the taskbar/start can be customized.
The biggest difference I see is that more stuff has moved to 'settings' so you don't have that weird mix of 'control panel' & 'settings'
Security - meh, it's Microsoft
Privacy - 11 is making it harder to keep microsofts grubby fingers out of your data. Not impossible, but they are sneaky. I have a thing about paying for software that then sells my info. At least other companies give me the software for free.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoosehornMan:
What I don't like is you must be online to install and must have a Microsoft account and be logged in, takes away more user control, I stayed with 7 as long as I could.
More loss of freedom for your "security".

You don't have the problem with Pro versions.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, sounds like stay with w10 unless i'm not happy with it for some reason. security / privacy is a wash (and may be worse in some cases) - in any case, in general not a compelling reason to upgrade.

Thx.