SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car window cleaning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car window cleaning Login/Join 
posted
What is the best way to really clean a car’s glass? Unfortunately mine has acquired a micro film of gunk that causes vertical crud lines where the wipers stop their sweep, no matter what I’ve tried.
Thanks.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Windex & newspaper was my go to for a long time.

Was doing a quick wash on my car yesterday. Chemical guys quick detailer.
Hit the front & rear windshields with it & it worked really well. Haven't had any rain exposure yet.

Is your windshield pitted/etched where you're seeing lines/streaks, or just buildup of debris?

Not sure if a claybar works on glass?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I use Griots glass polish, then clay bar the glass, then seal the glass. This is all bought from Griots Garage.

I do this both inside and out. My windows are amazingly clear.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Windex & newspaper...
this used to be good enough, for some reason i still see streaks. the best nowadays is at the pumps (chevron) - using their sponge and squeegee while wiping the lines with paper towels. the inside still eludes me on how to get that done.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Invisible Glass, comes in spray can or pump bottle. Best stuff I have ever found. Better than newspaper and windex

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
^^^ This. takes a little more elbow grease - but it's worth it.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Invisible Glass, comes in spray can or pump bottle. Best stuff I have ever found. Better than newspaper and windex

Great stuff.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My best luck has been with a Vinegar based glass cleaner. Vinegar is a weaker strength of Acetic Acid. Windex makes a version of this, but it's a bit hard to find sometimes.

Google "Vinegar Based Glass Cleaner" and you'll find retailers selling it. You'll also see links to making your own, a 50/50 Vinegar/Water mix seems most common.

(Traditional glass cleaner is normally Ammonia based).

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
^^^ This. takes a little more elbow grease - but it's worth it.

Rick

Use a micro-fiber towel and it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Razor blade for the gunk line and then Sprayaway. Best stuff I've found.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use Meguiar's Perfect Clarity.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

+1000 on the Sprayaway. Beats Invisible glass by a mile.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Coca-Cola

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

+1000 on the Sprayaway. Beats Invisible glass by a mile.

+1000000, but it's actually 'Sprayway'...Just Sayin' Wink

https://www.spraywayinc.com/content/glass-cleaner

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8876 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I use Invisible Glass along with Rain-X windshield washer fluid. It tends to work well for keeping the buildup of crud from returning.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I polish my windows with Aqua Tech Water Spot Remover and then apply Rain X.... On the inside I just polish with the Aqua Tech.
Aqua Tech removes road film and water spots, unless the spots are really bad.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0000 steal wool followed by Invisible glass and a micro fiber towel.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Car window cleaning tricks https://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc

And I too am an Invisible Glass fan.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Newspapers and windex works great and has forever so why change.
If you let it get really dirty like mine is now it may take a few thorough cleaning to get it clean again.
Its get harder to find newspapers though as I quit taking them many years ago but still get enough advertisements in the mail as long as I save them.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Check out this video from a professional detailer. Unlike other YouTubers she isn't sponsored (i.e. paid schill), doesn't have her own line of detailing products for sale, gives no nonsense advice, and doesn't take 15 minutes to say something that can be said in 2 minutes.

On the windshield, the OP also needs to clean the windshield wipers. Take 70% rubbing alcohol and wipe windshield wipers with a towel until no black marks made on towel.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post