SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car window cleaning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car window cleaning Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Newspapers and windex works great and has forever so why change.
If you let it get really dirty like mine is now it may take a few thorough cleaning to get it clean again.
Its get harder to find newspapers though as I quit taking them many years ago but still get enough advertisements in the mail as long as I save them.
By your logic, John Moses Browning should've never invented the 1911 because the Mauser Broomhandle worked. Besides, ammonia based window cleaners (e.g. Windex) break down tinted windows causing peeling and waffle weave microfiber towels are orders of magnitude better than newspaper.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I use what will cut the bugs and grime (depends on what I'm removing) and then use Rain-X and follow up with good ol' H2 and O and elbow grease with clean Bounty paper towels.

That takes all the haze, streaking off.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The best thing to get the crud off is a pumice-like powder like Comet (not actual Comet) but more of a finer powder like the glass top-stove stuff first.
Then use Invisible Glass will leave the least streaking to clean.
Add in the Rain-X treatment or cleaner for protection.

Note: I did this on the back window of my truck and before trying to apply a MAGA sticker I cut on my Vinyl Cutter and it would not stick (because of the Rain-X).
Had to use some alcohol and remove that portion before the sticker.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Bead Blasting....

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I use Meguiar's Perfect Clarity.

I too like Meguiar's as well, very good product

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Sprayway works so good and smells so fresh. I've used it for claybar lube - works great.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
50/50 vinegar and water and clean microfiber towel. Then 70% rubbing alcohol and clean microfiber towel. Once you get no crud off, distilled water on clean microfiber and buff dry with another clean towel, then seal with anti fog/water beading sealer, most common is rain X, buff clear.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I use invisible glass wipes on my tinted windows. Seems to get the dog nose prints off just fine.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Two micro fiber towels, isopropyl alcohol. Wipe the surface with one m-f towel that is pretty wet with the alcohol. Then do it over again with the second towel.

You get most of the oils off the first go. The second time it’s all gone. You aren’t even going to see the swirls when the windows fog on the inside.

Use the alcohol towel on your wipers too. If they are chattering and streaking still, replace them… and clean the glass as above again.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I use Griots glass polish, then clay bar the glass, then seal the glass. This is all bought from Griots Garage.

I do this both inside and out. My windows are amazingly clear.

You must have endless amounts of time and energy. Eek

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I have bad shoulders and cannot clean the inside of my windshield because I can't reach it. Do they make some kind of cleaning device with an arm that is suitable for this?

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^ Yes, I use this product from Invisible Glass

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I think in all honesty when we discuss “car window cleaning” we are really taking about the inside of the windshield and back window. I’ve never had issues with any other windows streaking. My advice is a professional glass cleaner, clean it at least twice per cleaning, and clean it often. This regiment has helped me keep my G rides streak free for years. It’s helpful working on humid nights when the windows stay fogged so bad to keep it streak free.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Use rubbing alcohol and a rag...it evaporates quickly so little areas at a time and take a minute, but 100% clear windows

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the inside glass, I cover the dash with a beach towel, spray alcohol across the window and dry with a micro fiber towel. Seems all I see anymore is the 70% stuff. (I’d use 50% if I could find it, I’m cheap.)

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I think in all honesty when we discuss “car window cleaning” we are really taking about the inside of the windshield and back window.
All kinds of things splash up from the road (aka road film) and fallout of the sky onto front windshields. The OP is most definitely talking about the exterior windshield.
quote:
...acquired a micro film of gunk that causes vertical crud lines where the wipers stop their sweep...

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As with most things auto detailing related, to really clean the windshield is a multi-step process. The AMMO video Bald posted is some great advise. To get the best results here ya go.

1 - Wash the outside of the windshield well with your favorite car wash shampoo.
2 - Mix up some fresh shampoo and water (or you can use clay bar lube) and spread it on the windshield. Then use a sharp (new) razorblade to carefully run across the surface of the glass removing whatever is stuck to the windshield. Go slow, work in small areas, and keep the windshield covered in shampoo.
3 - Wash the windshield one final time and dry.
4 - Use IPA/water solution and a microfiber to remove any remaining crud.
5 - Use Invisible Glass or Sprayway (they both work great) and clean the glass thoroughly.
6 - Optional - Use a good sealant (not wax) and buff the entire windshield.

Now clean the inside of the windshield, first with the IPA/Water solution, and then with Invisible Glass or Sprayway, and you should be go to go. Pro tip: Cover the dashboard with a beach towel before you start on the inside of the windshield.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
subscribed

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post