SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well, here's hoping. ** New job**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, here's hoping. ** New job** Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
So last Octboer, I posted a thread asking for advice. I applied to a number of jobs and got job offers from two places. One was a sales position at Rainier Arms, and the other, an assembly job building machinery involved with concrete prep and finishing. The advice I got was great, and that was to go with the production job.

It has gone very well. I love what I do, my bosses are awesome (we do "show-and-tell" with firearms in the shop supervisor's office), and I have free run of a full machine shop. I work 4-10's Mon-Thurs, and the schedule is flexible - I can trade one of those days for a Friday. I come in a half hour early almost every day and start at 5:30AM, and if I take short lunches, I can be done for the week around 2:30-3:00 on Thursday. The pay isn't amazing, but it isn't bad. Two weeks paid vacation per year, and a Christmas and New Year's bonus, 401k, and more.

However, the last three or four months, business has dropped off sharply. I've had my head down and so busy I almost hadn't noticed. We shut down our main production line about a month ago, and our secondary and tertiary production lines have slowed and are shutting down. There's completed units totally choking the shipping bays, crated and wedged in. There's completed sub assemblies crammed in every corner of the warehouse. Last week, my department actually ran out of things to do, because what we could do, we wouldn't need any more of for months, and there was only a few things that we couldn't do because the inventory control guy hadn't kept us stocked with parts. I've been waiting for a month now for some helicoil brass inserts that we can have overnighted to us, according to my manager, but for some reason they just haven't showed up. Long story short, last Tuesday morning, I talked to my boss and took most of a voluntary week off without pay because there was no work to do. I left early again today between my insides hating the takeout we got for lunch yesterday, and the fact that I had again run out of busy work to do.

I got home, took a nap, and checked my email when I got up. Ziprecruiter had emailed me a notice that a well-known firearms manufacturer not far from me looking to hire for a position I'm qualified for. A few hours later, I've updated my resume and applied. There are a few negatives I can think of, but overall I believe it would be an amazing opportunity, and most importantly - a good fit. It would be, in essence, a merging of the two jobs I got to choose between last fall.

I like my bosses and most of my coworkers, but last week, I had a run-in with one of the drunks at work. He didn't like how I was setting up my area at 5:25 in the morning, red-faced, and tried to start a fight about it and then told me I needed to walk away while I could. Somehow, I don't see clowns like that getting through the hiring process at a place where firearms are built and tested. I could be wrong, but...

If this doesn't pan out, I've got another potential opportunity. I spent the last weekend of June and the first weekend of July working at an in-patient rehab facility, working directly with addicts and alcoholics looking to get cleaned up. It was incredibly rewarding, and I loved the actual doing of the job. The deal-breaker wasn't working 56 hours a week, it was the traffic. It was forty minutes to an hour in the morning, but an hour and forty minutes home through Kirkland, Bellevue and Renton. If you live, or have lived here, you know how bad it gets, and that was on the weekend. Absolutely atrocious drive. Anyway, I resigned after the second weekend, but have been texting back and forth with the program director about possibly working at one of the out-patient locations, one of which is a 20 minute drive for me. The pay isn't awesome, but they offer education reimbursement and I could work towards becoming an SUDP. In fact, she just texted me the name and phone number for a lady to contact about an interview.

So, as the thread title says, here's hoping. I like my job, but it feels like it's time to look at new opportunities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You've got several irons in different fires and all sound promising, despite nothing ever being perfect.

You're attitude is positive and that's the most important part.

I'm very proud of you, just reading this Smile

Something good will work out for you.

Prayers for your continued success Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Are you locked on your current location?

Meaning: Would you move to be closer to a job you really want? Thereby cutting down commute time

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
So I'm guesing XXX based on where its located and where you are, the other option being YYYY which based on your info is a LONG drive (which you didn't mention). And XXXX is in T-town (my town) and I get the homeless comment, and Lewis County doesn't have this issue to that extent so that's my reasoning on that. To me, it seems a solid gig as long as this type of thing is tolerated in WA, which will probably be a good long while. Both make a solid product. But, full disclosure, I was in the Rainier Arms camp from before 'cause I love those guys. I have two YYY lowers and am getting an XXX 9mm lower soon.

If you like the treatment work, you could always try and find a place closer to you and work towards ending up there. Thre are often a lot of openings, because the job tends to burn people out. I would NEVER do the traffic in the Seattle/Bellevue metroplex.

Either way, good luck!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Loswsmith,

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
You're attitude is positive and that's the most important part.

I'm very proud of you, just reading this Smile

Something good will work out for you.

Prayers for your continued success Big Grin

Well, thank you, Frank. Smile

Life has been rough on me, especially the past few years with health stuff, but I'm incredibly blessed and have managed to completely adjust my attitude. Life is starting to come together in many fine ways. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Are you locked on your current location?

Meaning: Would you move to be closer to a job you really want? Thereby cutting down commute time

I am. My wife is the bread winner in our situation. She paid attention in school and is reaping the rewards for it. I've tried to persuade her to try to transfer somewhere else in the country for years now, and I just don't see it happening. So here we are, like it or not. We own a home, and it's not a bad area, so I'm going to make do.

quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
If you like the treatment work, you could always try and find a place closer to you and work towards ending up there. Thre are often a lot of openings, because the job tends to burn people out. I would NEVER do the traffic in the Seattle/Bellevue metroplex.

Yeah, I'm going to call tomorrow about the closer opportunities. Hopefully something pans out.

quote:
Either way, good luck!!

Thank you! I don't mean to offend in any way, but if you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you edit out your guesses. I don't want to call undue attention to the job posting, and if I do land it, I'd prefer not to say where it is that I work. Smile

Just checked my email. The manufacturer wants to do a phone interview Friday afternoon and wants to know if that would work for me. Big Grin

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'll add in a prayer Ed.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed you're qualified for a wide range of work from sales to production to working with addicts.

Good luck with the new job. I hope you land one that is the dream job and where you are secure, paid well, and happy.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19585 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Loswsmith:

Yeah, I'm going to call tomorrow about the closer opportunities. Hopefully something pans out.

quote:
Either way, good luck!!

Thank you! I don't mean to offend in any way, but if you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate it if you edit out your guesses. I don't want to call undue attention to the job posting, and if I do land it, I'd prefer not to say where it is that I work. Smile

DONE! Not offended and I'm really sorry! I thought I was being clever and instead just being an ass. And really, good luck! T-town has it's glass half full parts. And it will let you practice your alcohol counseling skills on the side as well as you go into that job.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I'll add in a prayer Ed.

Thanks, Will! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm impressed you're qualified for a wide range of work from sales to production to working with addicts.

Good luck with the new job. I hope you land one that is the dream job and where you are secure, paid well, and happy.

I don't know what to say to this other than I never thought of it that way, and thank you very much! Smile
quote:
Not offended and I'm really sorry!

Thank you! No worries. Smile
quote:
I thought I was being clever and instead just being an ass.

Not at all, you were actually pretty incisive. Big Grin
quote:
And really, good luck! T-town has it's glass half full parts. And it will let you practice your alcohol counseling skills on the side as well as you go into that job.

Thank you! Yeah, I worked literally across the street from this place for four years, so I'm very familiar with the area. It'll be interesting visiting some of my old lunch haunts. As long as the local wildlife leaves my truck alone, I think we'll get along just fine. If I land this and decide to go with it, it would be cool to meet up for a range day some time. There's the one just down the street....

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Phone interview went really, really well. I will be heading over there next Friday morning for an in-person interview, and not for the job I initially applied for, but something with much more responsibility. I feel a bit dazed.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Phone interview went really, really well. I will be heading over there next Friday morning for an in-person interview, and not for the job I initially applied for, but something with much more responsibility. I feel a bit dazed.

Excellent news! Best of luck!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
That's great news!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It seems like the gun buying panic over the past 15 months that drove gun makers and gun shops has finally died off.

My own local FFL/gun shop is basically part time now and open by appointment only. I’ve had three pistols sitting with him for months now on consignment with no movement, I finally told him I’m coming to get them back but would he be interested in just buying them for his shop. He declined.

It’s crazy how cyclical this whole business operates, I’m sure in time people will be lining up to buy whatever they can get their hands on, but right now we are at the opposite end of that.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! PaSig, I’m sure you meant to be more encouraging than that came out. Razz

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, guys! PaSig, I’m sure you meant to be more encouraging than that came out. Razz

I didn’t mean to rain on your parade and I’m glad you have some new prospects lined up.

Was just making an observation on the gun industry as a whole, sorry if that came across the wrong way.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
P220Smudge,
Best of luck with the follow ups now scheduled.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well. The position I applied for had all the applicants they needed, and the job the HR person wanted me to apply for got filled by promoting from within, unfortunately. However, she asked around the company and advocated for me and I have an interview this morning, not Friday, with the department I wanted to work in. So this is actually a bit more pressure. I'm about to make some breakfast, get my things together, and then slowly cruise to Tacoma so I'm ridiculously early with no stress, and knock on the door ten minutes early. Here we go!

And if I don't get a good feeling off this interview, I'll be following up with the informational interview for the rehab facility to see about getting into the nearby outpatient location. But I'm not walking in there today thinking about that, just good to know I have a backup plan.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I didn’t mean to rain on your parade and I’m glad you have some new prospects lined up.

Was just making an observation on the gun industry as a whole, sorry if that came across the wrong way.

We're good. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
P220Smudge,
Best of luck with the follow ups now scheduled.

Thanks, Bald1. Smile

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Just checking back in Ed and wishing you the very best today!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck!!

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Smudge.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post