SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone update to iOS 17 yet?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone update to iOS 17 yet? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Worth it? Issues?

Always on the fence about jumping in early or waiting for the first round of “fixes”…

Have my 15 Pro Max ordered, should be here mid-October. It’ll will come with 17, so already being used to it would be nice.

First world problems…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10956 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, none.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good list of what the upgrade brings:

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-...All_New_Features.pdf

ETA: I have upgraded, no issues so far.

--K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I did my I-pad the other day.
No issues but I haven't explored to see whats new or useful yet.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I updated my iPhone 12 the other day and haven't had any problems. They made a change to the Timers that I'm not crazy about, but it's ok. No noticeable change in battery usage.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
What was the Timer change? I use the Timers frequently. Usually by Siri voice command.

“Hey Siri, set a timer for eight minutes.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
I upgraded my wife's 9th Gen iPad, my 6th Gen iPad and our two iPhone SE's to 17 with no issues that I've noticed. All are operating fine and battery life seems unchanged. I haven't had time to explore the new features so I can't comment on those.

I also upgraded my Apple TV 4K to tvOS 17 without issues. One new feature is there's a remote finder now built in so you can find a misplaced remote with an iPhone.

Most of the scuttlebutt from 17 betas was positive so it appeared safe to have at it.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
I upgraded my wife's 9th Gen iPad, my 6th Gen iPad and our two iPhone SE's to 17 with no issues that I've noticed. All are operating fine and battery life seems unchanged. I haven't had time to explore the new features so I can't comment on those.

I also upgraded my Apple TV 4K to tvOS 17 without issues. One new feature is there's a remote finder now built in so you can find a misplaced remote with an iPhone.

Most of the scuttlebutt from 17 betas was positive so it appeared safe to have at it.

Ohhh! This alone may be worth it to me. My wife seems to think I should always be able to figure out where she left the ATV remote Roll Eyes

Another feature I am looking forward to is “sharing” AirTags so I can find her keys/wallet/brain from my phone instead of having to get hers…

Posts: 10956 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, no problems.

Changes some interfaces, but nothing drastic.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting on this upgrade for awhile. I want to share keychain passwords with my wife,

"Password and passkey sharing. Share passwords with the people you’re closest with. Create a group to share Password and passkey sharing. Share passwords with the people you’re closest with. Create a group to share"

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just installed due to this thread. No problems so far.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16389 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm usually inclined to wait until at least the first "point" release. In this case: 17.0.1.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^
What was the Timer change? I use the Timers frequently. Usually by Siri voice command.

“Hey Siri, set a timer for eight minutes.”

Setting a timer with Siri still works.

On the timer screen, the timers stack up--it looks similar to the alarm page if you set multiple alarms. It also lists "recent" timers. It's just unnecessary clutter--no loss of function. Smile

ETA: I think the reason for the change is to let you run multiple timers at once.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, seems stable so far

The improved the Messaging app a bit, I'm liking that

No more having to say "Hey" Siri, you just say "Siri" now it sounds like. I've never used it though.

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Updating my mother-in-laws iPad now, will play a little bit with it and then start on all of my other iStuff…

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Ohhh! This alone may be worth it to me. My wife seems to think I should always be able to figure out where she left the ATV remote Roll Eyes

Not to be presumptuous, but you did know that your iPhone has a remote that controls your AppleTV? Swipe down from the top right to get into Command Center and press the icon that looks like the AppleTV remote and you phone gets all the functions.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's a PDF from Apple, listing the changes and new features. There are a lot.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-...All_New_Features.pdf

Scanning through the document, here's my favorite so far. Roll Eyes

Mental health assessments. Take mental
health assessments often used in clinics to
understand your current risk for depression and
anxiety and if you might benefit from getting
support. You can download a PDF to share with
your doctor and compare your results over time.

What a steaming load of horse shit.

"Apple: For the unstable generation. Mommy loves you."

Get a fucking grip.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107728 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Only one problem. MSN email no longer works on my older iPad. MSN changed their server protocol recently and the update did something to the MAIL program so it no longer will communicate with Microsoft. These are email addresses at msn dot com and a couple other old microsoft domains. Microsoft has been sending notifications for a few months about the change, so you'd know it if it affects you.

Microsoft and Apple hate each other to the point of making no useful information available.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A warning though: it's 3 GB

If you are low on space you will need to make room for it or just not do it.

Posts: 33871 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
Only one problem. MSN email no longer works on my older iPad. MSN changed their server protocol recently ...
They'd have had to have done something pretty damn outrageous for the iOS/iPadOS Mail app not to work with their servers. "Outrageous" as in "non-standard."

It wouldn't be the first time Microsoft threw commonly-accepted standards out the window in favor of what it felt best-suited its interests, but, it's been a long while since they've been in the habit of doing those things.

Probably what you have to do it go into the more advanced settings and set some things differently that what Apple expects is needed for Microsoft's mail servers.

Near as I can tell from a quick look MSN Mail's using standard ports and protocols for email clients: imaps on port 993 with SSL/TLS enabled and submission on port 587 with SSL/TLS enabled. Same ports and protocols iCloud mail uses, Gmail uses, and all my servers use.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post