SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog leash/lead, what do you use? How much is too expensive?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog leash/lead, what do you use? How much is too expensive? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
8’ of 3/8 braided nylon rope with a clip tied in one end, and a loop tied in the other end.

Every nice leash we had got chewed up. That’s where I got the clip I used.

Posts: 26933 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesnt matter what the Forum thinks of the leash. If you have someone who says they can sell them for X amount, thats what you work with.

The questions. What is your cost to make the leash and how much time is required? Is this something you have time to do and will it make you money. How much is your time worth?

I personally would not pay $50 for a leash but I guarantee there are people who will.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
So, for you dog owners out there, a few questions for ya.

What kind of leash/lead do you use? Harness Lead
How often do you take your pup for a walk? Everyday at least once with plenty of yard time too.
What kind of pup do you have? Two small guys now. Miss my big girls and will have another big dog.
How much did you pay for your leash/lead? 40$
How much is too expensive? Over 60$ without lifetime guarantee
How long is your leash/lead? 6-7 ft is perfect. Less for small dogs

What kind of features does it have? As is a convertible, connector type, snap hook, carabiner, frog clip?
Did you pick your leash/lead because of the connector? See https://www.harnesslead.com/

I ask these questions because I'm thinking about making leashes/leads. I made my pup's and all the time I get asked where did I get it. The other day, we had a Vet visit, just a check up, and my pup's Vet asked me where I got such a cool leash. When I told her that I made it, she asked if I thought about selling them.

She said that she could sell them for me for $50.00 to $55.00, and that I should make some and give them to her.

So, I was just wondering. What do you use? What length do you like, what features, and how much is too much?

My Vet is a mobile Vet. She works with your standard pets, and does live stock also, but this is an affluent area, with wealthy clients, so maybe she's right that she could sell several a week at $50.00+ .

I'm just wondering if it's worth the time, effort, and initial outlay of money for the supplies.

Most of which has to be ordered, as no one around here has it.

Goes on easily. Will not break or allow houdini escapes. The only thing ai don’t like is that they say it helps pulling when really proper training will prevent that.

Good luck with your endeavor!

ARman

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two terrier mix mutts here, about 30 pound each.

I use a nylon step in harness with 6 foot leash. I am pretty sure I bought them from Orvis and the cost is around the price range you mentioned, too lazy right now to look it up. Only additional feature not mentioned already is they each have their names and wife's cell number printed or embroidered in some fashion on the harness.

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Depends what we are doing, I've got 3 different leash/collar combinations that I use. Most common is a 6' long leather lead made by Diamond D leather here in Alaska. I prefer leather to nylon or rope, easier to grab and not as hard on the hands. I use this with either a choke or prong collar if we're out in more urban areas where I need control of him. I use the leash with a harness when we're out on trails and bushwhacking.

Had an event late this summer that convinced me of the value of a harness. Hiking along the Little Su River, Bandit my sure footed Mountain Goat of a Bear Dog, jumped out not a boulder in the creek. Slippery with moss and water, he slipped off the top of the boulder and into a deep hole between boulders and into the river where he couldn't climb out on his own. Fortunately he was in a harness and didn't spaz and I was able to pull him up using the leather lead.

For recall training I use a standard generic 40' long nylon/cloth leash with a choke collar.

For reference Bandit is an 82lb. German Shepherd/Karelian Bear Dog mix.

Diamond D Leather
https://www.diamonddcustomleat...products/dog-leashes

When I adopted him he came with a combo leash/harness. It's made from climbing rope and has a large steel ring down at the snap buckle. It can be used as a traditional leash or looped through the ring and under the shoulder for a harness. It works ok and is a quick way but doesn't offer the control of a pinch or shake collar.

The Weiss Walkie
https://www.thewalkie.com

Found this while looking for the one I posted above and looks like a better solution than the Weiss.

Combo leash/harness
https://www.amazon.com/Harness...a-408107063687&psc=1

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/...dog-leash-91836.html

For the longest time, we’ve been using $6.00 cheapy reel leashes from Harbor Freight. We’ve had the more expensive ones from Petsmart/Petco, but these Harbor Freight specials work, they last, and they’re cheap.

Also, we’ve stopped connecting leashes to the collar and only connect to a harness. With the reel leash and harness, our doggies are happier and healthier.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I had a few when I had my dog. The best one I used the most was tubular webbing from REI. Buy it by the foot. I made a few out of the stuff in different lengths. Easy to make a handle at the end. I used smaller carabiners to clip to his collar. Real climbing ones and not cheap key chain-style ones. My dog was right around 100 lbs so I wanted something strong. This would be overkill and too much for a small dog.

https://www.rei.com/c/tubular-webbing

10' of the 1" is $4.50 and $3 for the 5/8" Cheap and will last forever.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16406 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Standard length. Something like this:

https://www.chewy.com/guardian...YwLzVYBoCJgEQAvD_BwE

This is what many K9 officers use, at least the ones I know. My dog is a Belgian Malinois. This is what I use for walks. If it’s a puppy I use something similar, just 30 feet in length to work on ball work, retrieval and tracking.

When it’s time for off-lead work, I use a shock collar, and after some initial shocks at the lowest setting, I only have to use the pager/vibration function of the remote. Dogtra is the brand of the shock collar.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I agree with OttoSig.

I see a lot of people using the long leash on a reel type thing. I do not like those, would never use one, there's really no way to control a dog with those. A friend was using one; his dog ran into the road, was hit by a car and killed.

Sure you can control the length. The leash feed locks at the push of a button. I have no problem keeping my 95 lb dog at 3 feet or 20 feet.

The important thing is to teach the dog not to pull out of his collar. I trained my dog using a
"Thunder Leash", its a 1/2 harness. It uses his normal collar plus a part that goes around his chest to complete the harness. Easy to put on and take off.

https://thundershirt.com/produ...riant=31577735299127

Gave him free motion and me full control.

Posts: 1043 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Assorted Mendota leashes/leads are what we use. Have both 4' and 6'.

https://www.mendotapet.com/collections/leads-leashes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
quote:
I agree with OttoSig.

I see a lot of people using the long leash on a reel type thing. I do not like those, would never use one, there's really no way to control a dog with those. A friend was using one; his dog ran into the road, was hit by a car and killed.

Sure you can control the length. The leash feed locks at the push of a button. I have no problem keeping my 95 lb dog at 3 feet or 20 feet.

The important thing is to teach the dog not to pull out of his collar. I trained my dog using a
"Thunder Leash", its a 1/2 harness. It uses his normal collar plus a part that goes around his chest to complete the harness. Easy to put on and take off.

This will sound harsh, but a well trained dog does not get "free motion" while on the leash. He/she gets to walk by my left leg and gets to stop when I stop. The only deviation to this is when they need to use the restroom. Which a 6' leash provides plenty of room.

I don't think anyone would say that they don't work, but they serve one purpose only, to facilitate bad behaviors in dog owners. Leash laws are not meant for 20' of roaming.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
quote:
I agree with OttoSig.

This will sound harsh, but a well trained dog does not get "free motion" while on the leash. He/she gets to walk by my left leg and gets to stop when I stop. The only deviation to this is when they need to use the restroom. Which a 6' leash provides plenty of room.

I don't think anyone would say that they don't work, but they serve one purpose only, to facilitate bad behaviors in dog owners. Leash laws are not meant for 20' of roaming.

Seems like a shit life for your dog, never being able to get more than 6 feet from your side while outside. When I take him for a walk he gets exercise and checks his peemail without me having to get with 6 feet of everything he would like to explore. It also abides by the "leash laws". What leash laws were meant for and what they are are 2 completely different things. A perfectly behaved dog directly to your side off leash is grounds for a leash ticket, while a bat shit crazy dog, barking and scaring everyone while on a leash is okay.

Yeah makes sense, but that is the law.

Posts: 1043 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Seems like a shit life for your dog, never being able to get more than 6 feet from your side while outside. When I take him for a walk he gets exercise and checks his peemail without me having to get with 6 feet of everything he would like to explore. It also abides by the "leash laws". What leash laws were meant for and what they are are 2 completely different things. A perfectly behaved dog directly to your side off leash is grounds for a leash ticket, while a bat shit crazy dog, barking and scaring everyone while on a leash is okay.

Yeah makes sense, but that is the law.

LOL. Okay man.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is correct. I have never worked with another trainer who thought reels were a good idea. 6’ lead walking. Say I’m at the park doing drills with a pup, I’ll break out the 20’ or 30’ lead and if another dog or human gets within my radius, k9 is pulled back, and the 6’ goes back on. The longer leads give them some room for retrieval or tracking training but completely unnecessary for walking. Walking, it’s kept tight. K9 is trained to “foos” right off my left leg, and I’ll give her a command to get out in front every now and then. I stop, she stops, “sitz” until I’m ready to roll. Good to teach them this on alley ways, or crossing a street. “Achtung” so they are trained concerning vehicles.

Anything can happen in public. Dog on a 20’ lead, sees a squirrel, darts out, bam hit by a car. Or another dog and owner catches you off guard, more bullshit to deal with. 6’ lead, period.

I also train mine to NOT use the restroom on someone’s property, not even piss, no wandering allowed. My neighborhood park, fair game, I’m always bagged up and ready and she can mark wherever she likes, don’t care. But I detest the fucking owners who let their dogs piss and shit on another homeowner’s property. My personal k9 and the ones I train, aren’t allowed on anyone’s property but my own and city property. Walking, it’s foos city, 24/7. My dogs are trained like a mother fucker.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, what I have made is a lot like Atlas pets lifetime leash.

They go from $62.00 to $72.00.

They use stainless steel swivel clips, mine for my pup use a frog clip.

The one that I had at the Vet's was the 8' one, but I have a 6' one also, different color but built the same, I'm not sure where it is at this moment. I like the 8' one better, plus what I have in the car for out and about, is a 4' Masters outdoors bungee leash. Which I'm not a big fan of the bungee part, because I find it a little harder to control when she gets excited (which she is getting much better at), but it has a grab handle close to the snap hook.

So far the people I have asked in person have said 5' to 8', with 6' being the most popular.

The price thing is all over the place, so I don't know. I have looked at comprable leashes and seen them from $30.00 to almost $80.00.

The rope isn't that expensive, but you have to get quite a bit of it not to get killed in shipping, the frog clips are the expensive part.

I have what I need for assembly, and it's not really hard, or time consuming. But, I'm always short on time.

Also, the more rope, clamps, the clips I buy at a time the more discount I can get. But that's a lot of money to tie up and not know how fast it will move.

I'm thinking of going with five to begin with, and if they move fast, make a batch of ten. Five in 6' and five in 8' lengths. Then go from there.

I'm not looking for a full-time business just a good, easy side hassle that isn't to hard or time consuming.

If it takes off so be it, if it doesn't, also. so be it. I'm planning on giving a small donation to the local human society, I donate to them from time to time, not much, but it's all a can do.

I'm just trying to get a "feel" on the length, and price mostly.

ARman

Posts: 3156 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I agree, and furthermore I believe it makes for a healthier dog mentally which means a happier dog. My cattle dogs I've had absolutely needed the constant stimulation.

I slow just a bit 1 step out from stopping and drag my left foot a tiny bit, that's how they know we are stopping, once stopped they go yo down automatically.

Some other things I do if anyone is interested.

1. I turn my back to my dog goes No 1 or 2.
2. My dog never makes initial contact, if I want my dog to meet a human I'll shake hands, my dog will smell my hand and then go forward if I say it's okay. Rarely do I let them meet other dogs. They have their friends in family members, it's just not necessary, ind it's safer for me dog. It ain't high school.
3. My dog will never eat in front of me or while I am. They wait in front of their bowl until I break eye contact and turn around. Then they know they can eat.

Yall might think I'm a hard ass but, in the words of Prefontiane, my dogs are trained as fuck. And I think it helps them immensely. Especially the smarter more active breeds.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Sorry, back on topic...

Where does your first price break come? 50 units? 100?

I was gonna suggest 10 to start, if it fails miserably you have great Christmas gifts to give to dog owners you know.

I think the running leashes are gaining in popularity, I know I liked the one I had before. Maybe make an Etsy account or something and broaden your customer base if you want to make a few more on the initial run.

I dislike Bungie also, this is one person's opinion but I like simple and sleek for dogs. There is enough going on that a simple single color 6' leash is best for me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry, back on topic...

Where does your first price break come? 50 units? 100?

I was gonna suggest 10 to start, if it fails miserably you have great Christmas gifts to give to dog owners you know.

I think the running leashes are gaining in popularity, I know I liked the one I had before. Maybe make an Etsy account or something and broaden your customer base if you want to make a few more on the initial run.

I dislike Bungie also, this is one person's opinion but I like simple and sleek for dogs. There is enough going on that a simple single color 6' leash is best for me.

With the rope, shipping is free after 30 or 40 feet, depending on the rope. Then there a per foot discount, but that is A LOT of rope! And the rope is the cheapest part of this.

Rope clamps, I believe 25 is where the discounts start, the more units, more of a discount. The frog clips, I truly don't remember.

I think I'm going to do five, two 6' two 8' and one 5' or something like that. Whatever I can optimize out of the minimum amount of rope and still get free shipping, because the shipping is expensive.

If these move at a fairly reasonable time, I'll double it. I'll talk to the Vet, and see which ones go first.

I have thought of adding a ring, and a smaller piece of rope to make it hands-free. Myself, I attache a carabiner through the handle loop, and then wrap it around Whatever and hook the carabiner to the leash. It works well for me.

ARman

Posts: 3156 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.chewy.com/frisco-t...ed-handles/dp/293217

I have something like this, a little thicker nylon, no poop-bag thing. 5ft, but the short lead is about 1ft (great for heeling).

I like the dual handles. Using it on a German Shepard, this ones a pup, but she'll probably be about 90lbs. Used it for our last Shepherd too, she was about 70lbs.

Walked her every day, I'm probably going to get a 6ft one.

For a good leash, depending on the material, $40-$50.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:

What kind of leash/lead do you use?
* 6' leather leash with a Martingale collar
How often do you take your pup for a walk?
* 3 times a day
What kind of pup do you have?
* Black lab
How much did you pay for your leash/lead?
* Not sure, was significant other's dog's before.
How much is too expensive?
* If I could find another like the one we have I'd probably spend up to $75 on it. Ours is 3/8" wide and 3/16" thick and comfortable.
How long is your leash/lead?
[COLOR:BLUE]* 6'

What kind of features does it have? As is a convertible, connector type, snap hook, carabiner, frog clip?
* Brass swivel snap
Did you pick your leash/lead because of the connector?
* No

I'm in the same camp as Prefontaine and OttoSig when it comes to those Flexi leashes. When we walk our dog he's completely under our control, trained to walk with a limp leash on our left unless we give the command "right side". There are several neighbors that use Flexis - any guesses as to who's dog behaves better when meeting on the walking paths? Who's repeatedly yelling at their dogs that are not responding?

Our dog is totally spoiled too - he's got 3 dog beds from Orvis, one of which he's trained me to move into the sunbeam during the day Big Grin

Posts: 1805 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post