SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know stuff about Yorkies? Getting one
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know stuff about Yorkies? Getting one Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
My kids want a rabbit/hamster/guinea pig/etc and I have absolutely no desire for one. I already know the kids will not take care of it, so I'll be cleaning out the cage and playing with the damn thing because I feel bad for it sitting in its cage all day once the newness fades.

I made the mistake of saying I'd rather get another dog. We already have a Yellow Lab. My wife and I both have had dogs our whole lives and each had one when we met. Our kids have not gotten to experience a puppy though.

Turns out I never should have opened my stupid mouth and that my 10 year old is a better negotiator than I gave her credit for.

I did some research and found a breeder. Our puppy will finally be ready this weekend and we're road tripping to pick him up. I've gotta admit, I love dogs and I'm excited for another puppy, but I've never had a small dog like this.

I've read a ton about Yorkies and was ok with one for two main reasons. 1) they're small and won't take up much space in the car on road trips. 2) they seem to have no concept of how little they are and their attitudes crack me up.

But from owners or folks with more experience, I'd love to hear direct from the Sig Forum members what they think, tips, info etc. I'm already "pregnant" so to speak so there's no turning back, but I'm just curious what y'all can tell me. I like y'all far better than the internet in general ha!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about them. You would look cool though, carrying it in one of those murse tiny dog carriers

Posts: 5325 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I don't know anything about them. You would look cool though, carrying it in one of those murse tiny dog carriers

Cool and manly looking. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
We have a Yorkie, it's a nut! Yaps at anything and is very skittish. If it were me, I'd get a miniature Dachshund.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Lol Swede that's what my wife said. Big Grin. I'm not one of those folks who gives a rip what others think of him. I also have a self deprecating sense of humor, so I'm just gonna rock this dog like a boss! Razz

I'll be the only dude in an AK t-shirt carrying a 5 pound dog named Llyod. When you know you aren't macho, life gets so much easier!

dgshooter, when you say skittish, is it scared or other folks?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
That cracked me up! Big Grin. Yeah, he's gonna have to stay in a "puppy cut." we're not doing that long hair stuff.

posted Hide Post
I had large dogs all my life and was dead set on not getting a small yappy dog. My wife wanted a small dog and persuaded me to get one. Ours is a Yorkie mix and if I’m honest she is my favorite dog of all time.

I don’t know if we lucked out or what but she never barks unless she is inside and she thinks someone is outside trying to get in (knock at the door) she then can go from a dead sleep to flying through the air barking before the persons knuckles hit the door for the second time.

I think because they get picked up and held unlike a large dog they get more in tune with the owners and are just amazing companions. Other benefits are they are easy to handle, don’t eat much, don’t shed, are good with people that have allergies and when they go to the bathroom it’s so small you don’t have to go picking it up all over your yard.

I’m the last person to think I would have a small dog but I’m sold.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Well it's better than a cat. I never cared for the small breed lap dogs. Too needy. Can I suggest you search you're local rescue shelters rather than a breeder? You may not find a Yorkie but you will most certainly will find a loyal friend and family member.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
local rescue shelters

not looking to go that route.

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Our first one was a male, they are good if anyone is allergic to pet dander - hypo-allergenic!
He was very mellow, a little yappy at night which I was fine with, he was better than an alarm system in some ways.

We have a female this time, only 3.5 lbs, she is a complete BITCH. Very lovable but bosses the big dog and cat around mercilessly.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2918 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, nice little dogs, figure it won't be long until you have a recliner buddy.

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a little 3.5 lb Yorkie for about 8 years.He was 7 when I got him and unfortunately he passed away about a year ago.He wasnt yippie and just loved to go.I was a service tech and he went on a lot of calls and deliveries with me. I have had the same vet for the last 50+ years and he would always give me a hard time about a farm boy having a foo foo dog Smile. They love attention and are loyal BUT they are stubborn and most have the Napoleon complex.I will be getting another one soon.Enjoy your new pup.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
They yap a lot. Compared to a lab, far less intelligent. House training may be an issue. Easy targets for theft if left outside. Also targets for large birds.

My parents have had a lot of them. Still have 4.

They are small and easy to transport as mentioned. Personalities can be as varied as people. Generally they have long lives and deal with lesser health issues way before anything critical - things like blindness and hard of hearing.

Expect regular hair trims. If you let it grow out, you really have to keep them brushed. The teddy bear type cut is quite popular.

Use a harness, not a collar. Some can have abnormally small windpipes.

Posts: 17891 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Soooo yappy., in my experience.

Best of luck.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I've got nothin' useful to contribute, but I'll just leave this here.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8903 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
My neighbor is a yorkie breeder. He has 14 or so of them. When he bought his house he had a deck put on the side. The dogs never touch grass or ground in general. Everything is done on that porch 4x10. Bathroom, playpen, lounge area. He sells them from anywhere $1200-over $3000. The females are worth more and a parti color. whitish,and size. He prices them at about 6-8 weeks old because he can then estimate their size and weight as adults.

They only ever bark if someone walks by, I like it,using them as a warning siren. They are extremely human friendly, they push and shove for pets through the fencing. That’s about what I know about them.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Soooo yappy., in my experience.

Best of luck.

We have neighbors that have 2 of them. Yappy is a big understatement!. Thank God they never let them out at night.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The inlaws have 2 x Yorkies.

They are nice dogs, but with all small dogs there is the risk of not training them well (since they are so small, if they don't do what you want, you can just pick them up) and I personally HATE dealing with long hair dogs / grooming / etc. Seems like they need to be bathed every other week, combed, and then trimmed often.

And they are true ankle biters / yappers. Bark at everything and the inlaws have tried every option in the book to make them stop.

Personally I'd take a larger dog, like a Boston Terrier over a Yorkie but they are popular dogs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
my neighbor had a female Yorkie named Jersey. She could sneak out under the fence and would do so just the see me when I was working in the front yard. She was awesome. Playful, good spirited and an absolute friend.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post