SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy Crud! 20 hour Apple Watch update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Crud! 20 hour Apple Watch update Login/Join 
posted
Got notice this morning that Apple Watch has 10.0.1 update available. It does say it is the largest update ever but having my watch on the charger and my iPhone next to it for the next 20 hours is not acceptable. I hope it can be done in steps over the next couple of days.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Ummmm, what? 20 hours? The hell you talking about?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30429 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to tell you this but it is not the update.

Either you have bandwidth issues, or you have phone/watch issues.

I updated two yesterday.

The long part was updating the phone first.

Be sure your phone is up to date before you try to update the watch.

There are troubleshooting methods depending on the version of the phone and watch.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
As others noted it is your wifi speed, not the update. The estimated time is dynamic and changes as progress is made.

Mine started with a 10 hour estimate while on guest wifi at a hotel, but within minutes ticked down to a 26 minute estimate, and was done in less than 20 minutes.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10952 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My first Apple Watch, a Series 1, Gen. 2, was slow to update, but, nowhere near that slow. IIRC, it'd take an hour or so for a major WatchOS upgrade. Something is awry here.

I just applied the last set up updates to my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. I didn't watch/time it (I think I went and took my shower while it was updating), but, I don't think it took more than a half-hour or so? That was for WatchOS v. 9.6.3.

And, no: Updates/upgrades can't be done in "steps." Has to be done all in one go.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it is time to replace the old Apple Airport! I have been suspecting it for a while but been putting it off. I did like the auto recovery features that it had but cannot delay any longer.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine took about 2 hours to update yesterday. The phone was already up to date when I started.

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post