SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washington DC Travel Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washington DC Travel Advice Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We found a good deal (under $100 a night) at a Hyatt on E Street SW. It is about a half mile from the Capitol building so no need to coordinate a train in and out of another state every day.

I’m a cop so will be bringing a gun in my checked baggage and will have credentials. I know someone else said their experience was bad, not sure how others have fared carrying in the metro.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be wary driving in DC, theres plenty of traffic cameras, speed/redlight, everywhere with fines starting around $150 and going up from there. October would be the best month but August isn't as bad as some are making it seem. I worked in DC for 6 years and in my opinion the heat/humidity wasn't any worse than any other city in the North East. Theres no shortage of tourists in DC in August but like most places tourism dies off after Labor Day which is another reason to visit in October. Where do you plan to stay, in or outside of DC? I'd recommend staying outside of DC and taking the Metro Rail instead of driving your car. Expensive to park in DC and hard to find street parking and when you do you also have to contend with parking tickets and towing enforcement. Have fun and enjoy yourself DC has a lot to see and do.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
We found a good deal (under $100 a night) at a Hyatt on E Street SW.

Is parking included? I went down for an overnight for a funeral at Arlington. Room was cheap enough for midweek but the parking was another $35 + two tips for the valet. That was 15 years ago.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not planning on renting a car, so no driving or parking concerns. Going to hope public transit is going to get me where i need to be. I always did it that way visiting Chicago so I’m hoping to have good luck in DC.

Our hotel is a mile and a half from the National Mall, and 1 mile or less from the Capitol, SCOTUS, the Jefferson Memorial, District Wharf, and some others.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
I’m not planning on renting a car, so no driving or parking concerns. Going to hope public transit is going to get me where i need to be. I always did it that way visiting Chicago so I’m hoping to have good luck in DC.

Our hotel is a mile and a half from the National Mall, and 1 mile or less from the Capitol, SCOTUS, the Jefferson Memorial, District Wharf, and some others.

Metro is good for the most part. They have been doing some major repairs and there have been some closers but I think you are fine downtown. Their website is good and can show you what trains to take to get to different locations. Buses are also an option but I have never used them in DC. Again there is a website that can tell you what and where to get around town.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Definitely see the monuments--take eye wipes when at the Vietnam Wall. Same when you visit Arlington Cemetery (not if--when). Marines--it's OK to cry at the Mt. Suribachi statue.

Also second a visit to Great Falls Park. My best friend took me there in 2014. Wonderful scenery. Pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157648011174255/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post